Disastrous and disappointing defensive signings.

Jaggernaut

The departure of O'Ware got me thinking of those cases where a defender came to us and the fans were hoping to see something much, much better than what we got. They left us shaking our heads ruefully. I offer:

Kenny Brannigan

Stevie Fulton

Ziggy Gordon

Gregor Stevens

Tam O'Ware

Derek Whyte

I was going to list Piccolo, but I didn't think he was as bad as most people seemed to think......., and he didn't really come to us with a "big"reputation.

4 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I thought Bailey Cargil and Brice Ntambwe were pretty poor as defenders when we had them in the squad 3-4 years ago

An important factor in our premier league relegation was the unexpected January recall of the loanee centre back (who's name escapes me) who had looked decent. Bailey Cargil was a downgrade unfortunately.

Just now, Duke Gekantawa said:

Jean-Yves Anis came from the Chelsea reserve team and had played for France at various junior levels. He is also possibly the defender with the worst reading of the game I have ever seen. He was like a child chasing the ball from player to player in a school kickabout

He genuinely put in one of the best solo performances I’ve ever seen at Firhill though, pretty sure it was a 5-1 win against Livi. Was a great day that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Niall Keown came with a reputation based on who his dad was but didn't really deliver

Juuka Santala was a pretty awful defender

Keown was the most disappointing signing of all, as he appeared to be a completely different player to the one that had performed so well for us on loan the previous season.

I think Santala was taken on predominately as a forward anyway. I can only remember him playing in defense for 45 minutes, and I remember DC talking up his striking prowess when he  borrowed him.

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

The departure of O'Ware got me thinking of those cases where a defender came to us and the fans were hoping to see something much, much better than what we got. They left us shaking our heads ruefully. I offer:

Kenny Brannigan

Stevie Fulton

Ziggy Gordon

Gregor Stevens

Tam O'Ware

Derek Whyte

I was going to list Piccolo, but I didn't think he was as bad as most people seemed to think......., and he didn't really come to us with a "big"reputation.

Difficult to know where he was supposed to be playing but I don't think Stevie Fulton was a defender. In fact he more or less hung around and filled the centre circle. 

Btw I don't think you could include Turnbull, Cargill, Santala, McGinty & Ntambe in your list. Piss poor as they were I don't think any of them arrived at Firhill under the fan enthusiasm banner. 

32 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Think he played right Mid that game actually think you might be right. But he was amazing lol.

Jean Yves' other brilliant game (I think he only had two) was John Lambie's last as manager at Firhill when bottom of the league Thistle turned over top of the table Falkirk 2-1. Armand One scored two goals, but Jean Yves was so good, he won Man of the Match. I remember it well, as my daughter was mascot and I have got a great photo of her flanked by Jean Yves and Armand.

1 hour ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I was excited about Milan Nitrianský...I shouldn't have been. 

Jake Carroll, Paddy Boyle (don't know how he got a move) and Danny Devine were all worse than sh!t3. 

Nitriansky was totally dreadful. Carroll was even worse as he was disruptive in the dressing room. That said he would be a certain starter for us today.

2 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I was excited about Milan Nitrianský...I shouldn't have been. 

Jake Carroll, Paddy Boyle (don't know how he got a move) and Danny Devine were all worse than sh!t3. 

Did Paddy Boyle not go through a bit of a purple patch like Santala where he netted a few goals for us? Probably a distinctly average defender at best but don’t think he was anywhere near the worst ever category 

Grant Murray, relegated 3 years in a row, once with St. Johnstone, then twice with us and was awful.

I remember him asking the full back for the ball to be thrown to him on the volley so he could punt it up field.

The fact that he is still coaching in professional football is an indication of why Scottish football is so poor.

49 minutes ago, Juanito said:

Grant Murray, relegated 3 years in a row, once with St. Johnstone, then twice with us and was awful.

I remember him asking the full back for the ball to be thrown to him on the volley so he could punt it up field.

The fact that he is still coaching in professional football is an indication of why Scottish football is so poor.

Scottish football??? Lol

Quite a few loanee’s from the Ugly Sisters in times gone by that came with a decent reputation and never looked anything special to me.  Recently Jamie Barjonas, Conor Hazard and  Lee O’Connor spring to mind.  The latter very poor given he had been capped for Ireland.