The Day The Other Cup Came Up To Maryhill

HALF-TIME SCORE CELTIC NIL, PARTICK THISTLE FOUR. WE’LL GET THAT SCORE CHECKED. IT CAN’T POSSIBLY BE CORRECT”.

Well, history records that the score was correct!

50 years ago to this very day, at Firhill, Thistle fans began an unforgettable journey that would shake history and confound the Grandstand presenter; our brand new 'Partickle' commemorates the events which unfolded.

A big thank you to all the members of the forum who contributed their anecdotes at the end - very much appreciated.

Hope you all enjoy the story of Thistle's unforgettable Autumn of '71...

The Day The Other Cup Came Up To Maryhill →

lc1971a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Loved the read and the memories again.

"Sections traditionally begin the season and can be a good indicator on how the season looks like taking shape."

The above sums things up nicely. If you can handle it, take a look at the League Cup section results for season 1969-70, when we went on to get relegated. Truly awful results all the way through, and it can be asked why Scott Symon was ever allowed to keep his job as manager with that dismal sequence of results and no sign of anything better to come. But he was, and the dreadful outcome was the said relegation.

Thank you for resurrecting us, Sir David McParland!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A while back the OS carried an article  on the book "1971 What a Sensation" by Lorne Gardner, on the 1971 League  Cup campaign.   It was due to be published  on 8th September. 

As my order hadn't arrived, I checked the website  of the publisher JMD Media.  They have a note  there saying publication has been delayed  till the end of September.  For those of you waiting  for your order,  it should arrive by the end of this month. 

3 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

A while back the OS carried an article  on the book "1971 What a Sensation" by Lorne Gardner, on the 1971 League  Cup campaign.   It was due to be published  on 8th September. 

As my order hadn't arrived, I checked the website  of the publisher JMD Media.  They have a note  there saying publication has been delayed  till the end of September.  For those of you waiting  for your order,  it should arrive by the end of this month. 

Thanks for that information, EKJII. I was starting to wonder why my copy hadn't yet arrived at the delivery address I gave them.

Does anybody know if the various memorabilia packages by the club have been sent out yet?