Scottish Cup Pop Up 2021/22

BowenBoys

4 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

I'm still studying Easthouses Lily Miners Welfare's away form in cup competitions, and although I know Burntisland well from many childhood holidays, the Shipyard's form needs to be run through my algorithm (aka random choice generator).

Deadline will be met.

It is a bit of a lottery at this stage with little known teams. I've just added a random choice generator to my spreadsheet. It has adjustable weighting for home teams and teams in different seeding bands. It may prove useful in Round 1 when there are 30 ties!

Nearly forgot about this:

Linlithgow Rose   v   Banks O’Dee    
Burntisland Shipyard   v   Dalkeith Thistle    
Newton Stewart   v   Coldstream    
Irvine Meadow   v   Musselburgh Athletic    
Dundonald Bluebell   v   Penicuik Athletic    
Preston Athletic   v   Threave Rovers    
Hawick Royal Albert United   v   Golspie Sutherland    
Blackburn United   v   Easthouses Lily Miners Welfare    
Tynecastle   v   Girvan    
Jeanfield Swifts   v   Whitehill Welfare    
Dunbar United   v   Broxburn Athletic

Here we go:

HAHHAAHHHAA

Cheers BB

• Like 1

The draw for the First Round takes place tomorrow at 5.30. As befits Scotland's premier cup tournament, the draw will be done by a rugby coach.

Clydebank are in the cup draw for the first time in 20 years. Back in 2001/02 they were knocked out on the Second Round. We, of course, went all the way to the Semi Finals. Yes, 20 years ago!

First Round fixtures

In the First Round the winners from the Preliminary Round are joined by the 15 clubs that drew a bye in that round, 18 Highland League clubs and 16 Lowland League clubs. That means there are a rather hefty 30 ties in this round.

Nairn County  v  Strathspey Thistle
Wigtown & Bladnoch  v  St Cuthbert Wanderers
Fraserburgh  v  Sauchie Juniors  -  A2
Banks O’Dee  v  Turriff United  -  H1
Newtongrange Star  v  Dalbeattie Star  -  H1
Cumbernauld Colts  v  Buckie Thistle
Spartans  v  Gala Fairydean Rovers
Penicuik Athletic  v  Tranent Juniors
Blackburn United  v  Rothes  -  H1
BSC Glasgow  v  Glasgow University  -  A2
East Stirlingshire  v  Fort William
Coldstream  v  East Kilbride  -  H1
Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale  v  Edinburgh University  -  H1
Clydebank  v  Burntisland Shipyard or Dalkeith Thistle
Berwick Rangers  v  Gretna 2008
Caledonian Braves  v  University of Stirling
Lossiemouth  v  Preston Athletic  -  A2
Dunbar United  v  Camelon
Brechin City  v  Vale of Leithen
Inverurie Loco Works  v  Jeanfield Swifts  -  A2
Keith  v  Darvel  -  A2
Golspie Sutherland  v  Civil Service Strollers  -  H1
Wick Academy  v  Bo’ness United
Formartine United  v  Cumnock  -  A2
Huntly  v  Hill of Beath Hawthorn  -  A2
Irvine Meadow  v  Auchinleck Talbot
Forres Mechanics  v  Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic
Deveronvale  v  Haddington Athletic  -  A2
Clachnacuddin  v  Dunipace  -  A2
Tynecastle  v  Brora Rangers  -  H1

Ties to be played on the weekend of 18 September.

Correct selections in the First Round are worth 2 points each.

Deadline for submissions 7pm, Friday 17 September.

Seeding Points

Ties in this round comprise teams from two seeding groups. Group 5 are Highland & Lowland League clubs. All other teams are Group 6. Additional points will be awarded if your selected team knocks out a team from a higher group. One point per seeding level plus one extra point if it is an away victory (if the tie goes  to a replay, the original seeding points still apply)

Where applicable, the seeding points available are noted beside the fixtures above.

Random Choice Generation

There are a great many ties between teams that many of us know little about. Help is at hand. Soon you will receive a PM with a set of unique, randomly generated Ha Ha's.

The random number for each tie is weighted according to seeding (and league position for HL/LL teams). A weighting is also applied to allow for home advantage.

Feel free to use, adapt or ignore.

How it works

A random number generator is set to output a number between 1 and 100.
With no weighting applied to the result, 1 - 50 produces H and 51 - 100 produces A.
Two weighting values are applied to affect the probability of H or A.
Firstly +10 is added for home advantage which means 1 - 60 produces H and 61 - 100 produces A
Secondly a variable seeding bonus is added for HL/LL teams. The quality of teams varies greatly in these leagues so the seeding bonus range is set from +2 to +20 (based on current PPG). Teams at the bottom of the HL/LL (who both currently have 0 points this season) are deemed to have little advantage over lower seeded clubs (+2).
Putting these two values into the mix means, for example, that the team top of the HL playing at home against a team from the East of Scotland League would have an 80% probability of winning (50 + 10 for home advantage + 20 for league position). Therefore in random number output terms 1 - 80 produces H and 81 - 100 produces A. Simples.

• Like 1

Phil. Thank you for the random HAHAs. I have chosen to do a Fleetwood Mac and go my own way.

I am generally selecting the team which I perceive to be the under-dog, but with the odd exception where I have a reason for preferring the over-dog, for example East Kilbride because of the Squiddy connection, and Inverurie Local Works because I love the name! I have set out my entries in 3 rows of ten to prevent myself going totally cross-eyed:

AAAHHAAAHA

AAHAHHHHAH

AHHAAAHAAA

• Like 1