Jake Hastie

javeajag

Looks a decent signing. A young player with talent and a point to proove.

Much rather have that than say McDaid who whilst not without his plus points is unlikely to improve.

We have some serious attacking options now compared to what the squad looked like when McCall took over.

If we can sort out the defence it looks promising.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, laukat said:

Looks a decent signing. A young player with talent and a point to proove.

Much rather have that than say McDaid who whilst not without his plus points is unlikely to improve.

We have some serious attacking options now compared to what the squad looked like when McCall took over.

If we can sort out the defence it looks promising.

Agree with that entirely. As said before I believe the manager should've one wildcard signing. Jake, with points to prove,  probably falls into that category. Anyway this just being a loan deal hardly makes it that much of a major decision. Finally McColl has got his wide option to mirror Tiffoney. Jake being the left sided player who can/will play down the right flank.

Competition for what's effectively only four forward places looks like it could be intense. If Turner keeps up form, with his dead ball delivery factored in, that could read only three forward places up for grabs.  Graham, Rudden, Tiffoney, Smith, Murray, McIver and now Hastie all chasing a start. And, at the moment at least, Graham is in fact a near certain starter. Competition up front indeed!

As laukat says we just need to sort out the defence. And if Brownlie was fit I wouldn't have been too concerned about that area of the pitch.

14 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Competition for what's effectively only four forward places looks like it could be intense. If Turner keeps up form, with his dead ball delivery factored in, that could read only three forward places up for grabs.  Graham, Rudden, Tiffoney, Smith, Murray, McIver and now Hastie all chasing a start. And, at the moment at least, Graham is in fact a near certain starter. Competition up front indeed!

Looks like a potentially great signing. 

However, does anybody share my feeling that there can sometimes be too much competition for places?

I sometimes fear one of our best players getting dropped after an off-day, then his replacement (especially a loanee)  getting preferred for the next several matches despite doing nothing special. I still rue Stevie Lennon's time with us...  

7 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Looks like a potentially great signing. 

However, does anybody share my feeling that there can sometimes be too much competition for places?

I sometimes fear one of our best players getting dropped after an off-day, then his replacement (especially a loanee)  getting preferred for the next several matches despite doing nothing special. I still rue Stevie Lennon's time with us...  

You may have gone some way to answering your own question. Lennon went from being a likely starter to being a likely sub, then on to benchwarmer. I doubt any of our squad sat out a game due to us fielding Lennon. 

I do agree that with the addition of Hastie players like Murray and McIver are likely to find it harder to get a game. Should be noted tho' that Hastie alone can/will play as a left sided right midfielder. So he wouldn't be "stealing" one of our own players jobs so to speak. 

I feel in this instance the high degree of competition for places is a problem, but by and large a good problem.

47 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

You may have gone some way to answering your own question. Lennon went from being a likely starter to being a likely sub, then on to benchwarmer. I doubt any of our squad sat out a game due to us fielding Lennon. 

I do agree that with the addition of Hastie players like Murray and McIver are likely to find it harder to get a game. Should be noted tho' that Hastie alone can/will play as a left sided right midfielder. So he wouldn't be "stealing" one of our own players jobs so to speak. 

I feel in this instance the high degree of competition for places is a problem, but by and large a good problem.

This is pretty much where my thoughts are. Prior to Hastie signing Murray and McIver were pretty much guranteed a spot on the bench and some game time to allow others to rest. Now they have to fight just to get on the bench.

Both Murray and McIver's contract is up in the Summer so Hastie signing is very much a way of making them realise they either up their game or they are looking for another club.

McCall already knows guys like Graham, Rudden, Tiffoney, Turner, Bannigan, Docherty, Smith, Foster and Holt are good enough and will all play significant roles.

McCall has effectively produced targeted competition on fringe players by using the loan system. I think this is largely the approach McCall is taking throughout the squad. Sneddon, McKenna and Gordon all fall out of contract in the summer and will need to show they can compete to get a new deal. The loanee's such as Stone, Mayo, Hastie and whoever else arrives are coming in positions were we have players that need to kick on or move on.

Whatever way this ends up its hard not to be impressed by the way McCall builds squads. There is clear logic and strategy particular when compared to Caldwell's reliance on old pro's or Archie's reliance on agents sending jobbing pro's his way.

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

My memory of that period is beginning to fade, so I am very much open to correction.

However, my recollection is that Damon Gray lost his zing and sparkle, and his Thistle career seemed to hit the buffers, after a prolonged period when Lennon was preferred to him for no apparent reason.