Away to Arbroath

14 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

Correct - I play in goals for a 35s team (amongst others) and we got pumped 6-0 in a friendly on Friday night  - manager is intent on playing it out from the back but my back 4 play with their boot laces tied together - five of the goals came from them arsing about and losing it either in the box or on the D - there comes a time when you have to just empty it 60 yards up the park and hope you get someone in your crew making a challenge for it

Are you free this Saturday?  :D

19 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I have never got this playing the ball around at the back. I noticed a few teams during the recent Euro's getting caught out doing it. A goalie and all the outfield players job is to stop the opposition scoring. Get it up into the opponent's half or row Z.

It’s a simple x and y axis where x is the length of pass and y is the likelihood of giving the ball to the other team….. in Spain they have worked out that if you pass the ball 5 yards there is a good chance you will retain possession 

in Scotland full backs are trained to punt the ball up the park and they thus give the ball away most often and not 

we still have a lot to learn 

• Like 3

I remember how enjoyable it was to watch the play of the 2012/13 team and way they were able to use passing triangles all over the pitch to keep the ball. And they also had the alternative option of bombing down the wings when the goalie got the ball to the full backs quickly.

Contrast that with Lewis Mayo punting the ball up the park to be easily mopped up by the Arbroath centre-halfs. We even had the classic kick going from one keeper to other, bypassing all outfield players... Just tactically pointless.

On 8/23/2021 at 4:17 PM, Jaggernaut said:

Totally agreed.

My point is that Sneddon doesn't get the chance to atone for one bad performance never to be repeated, but a loanee who's just just a disaster of a performance will be preferred to one of our own players. It happens so many times. Is our main purpose to do what's best for us, or is it to nurture "big" teams' players first and foremost?

I'm aware that this line of thought could be applied to our own players who are out on loan to lower league clubs.

Basically, for me,  a loan is something  you need and use when you don't have it; to tide you over. You use it, then you return it. It isn't something that you keep using even if it's turning out to be of little use. We've had more than a few loanee players "of little use," and I hope we don't blow our chances of promotion again by prioritizing those big teams' players over our own.

Quite agree with your point about 'name' players. If a player isn't good enough or is simply off form then another player should be selected. Who  players play for or their 'name' shouldn't matter when it comes to team selection. 

This  'name' thing has been an issue in Scottish football for years. In my day, for example, St John, Law and Baxter were selected for Scottish squads when well past their best. A more recent example was Jim Leighton of Aberdeen. How he got more than 50 caps (to earn around 90) is beyond me! He was a good keeper but in his early International career Rough and later Gorham were far  better! It continues today. O'Donnell has one bad game and everyone wants him dropped in favour of a young, untried  and unproven Rangers full back. Glad Mackie resisted that nonsense! 

40 minutes ago, watties wallies said:

we need an experienced keeper for this league  if we intend to challenge this season

gives confidence to our defence

after Saturday  i'm sure mccall will sort this out

Actually we need a third keeper anyway or we'll be applying for an emergency loan the minute Sneddon and/or Stone get injured. Maybe that wouldn't be allowed and we'd be forced into recalling McCready? 

1 hour ago, watties wallies said:

we need an experienced keeper for this league  if we intend to challenge this season

gives confidence to our defence

after Saturday  i'm sure mccall will sort this out

I felt this when Stone was announced. Seemed a bad choice at the time even if he does come good in future

9 hours ago, javeajag said:

It’s a simple x and y axis where x is the length of pass and y is the likelihood of giving the ball to the other team….. in Spain they have worked out that if you pass the ball 5 yards there is a good chance you will retain possession 

in Scotland full backs are trained to punt the ball up the park and they thus give the ball away most often and not 

we still have a lot to learn 

What about the Z axis? 
The height you can punt it

On 8/23/2021 at 9:05 AM, sb1876 said:

Makes me really wonder why the bunnet was a complete failure at thistle, no doubting his managerial qualities, yet he was a disaster at thistle.  He should have been an ideal fit and I wonder what his take was at the time!!

It would be interesting to see DC's record against us with his various teams since he left Firhill.

On 8/23/2021 at 7:42 PM, Auld Jag said:

Against QOS we were lucky a few times not to lose a goal from playing the ball around at the back. Roy missed an absolute sitter on one of these occasions. Unless we are 3 or more goals up, i would rather we just got rid of the ball into the opposition's half.

At times, you wonder where players' heads are. On at least one occasion, a passback to Stone was aimed straight at the goal: if he'd slipped or the ball had bobbled, it could have resulted in a goal. Don't they know that a passback should be beyond the posts? Late on in the first half, in additional time, the players decided they had to work themselves back into the game just after losing a goal and passed it to and fro at the back - not a thought for game management: obviously, if you have a minute or two to go and have just lost a goal, the best thing to do is get the ball into the opposition penalty area. Was the loss of Docherty not just affecting midfield resilience but also leadership?

The result on Saturday was disappointing on many levels. We had two weeks to prepare for the game giving our new signings time to get up to fitness. We get what should have been the crucial first goal which should have settled us however we fail to manage the game correctly. It makes me question what it is we do all week in training when the opposition players are working for a living. We have no devine right to stoat onto the pitch and expect to win. Its a very poor result in the end and hopefully one the players learn from. Good chance on this weekend to make amends.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 11:47 PM, Jaggernaut said:

It would be interesting to see DC's record against us with his various teams since he left Firhill.

Agreed that his Arbroath teams have generally got the better of us.

However I do recall a 6-1 hammering of DC’s Forfar at Station Park. Chris Erskine and Simon Donnelly were in fine form and even Jim Hamilton managed to score.