Morton Saturday

thebiglemon

It's a bit unchancy to have comments on a game without any complaints: what's got into you all? :D

Surely it's worth commenting that the team could and should have been ruthless: Graham's miss  before an inviting goal set his teammates' efforts at naught, and various other attempts were made speculatively instead of punishing Greenock Morton. These can be important later in the season for goal difference.

A textbook example of a comfortable home win - Thistle looked like promotion contenders, Morton like relegation fodder.

After a bright start, we looked a bit pedestrian for the remainder of the first half though our defence was not tested as Morton posed no real threat. We needed more options out wide and I was expecting more from Foster & Tiffoney down the left...they came good right of the start of the second half and we closed out the game with the third.

Turner looks a good footballer - a bit light-weight but hits a mean corner...Holt had a fine game...and Banzo has the ability to play shrewd little passes to make space for team-mates. We seem to have good attacking options from the bench and are a team with a genuine threat of scoring goals.

Gordon did ok at right back but like all our full-back options he's not likely to make penetrating runs or put in great crosses. With McKenna out for a few weeks we are really short of cover at the back and with some tough League fixtures next month this could be a challenge.

It's good to have positive momentum at the club after some dismal seasons...the end of September will be the time to assess the progress we have made.

Morton were awful.

We weren’t.

We played good stuff.

My first game of the season and I was really happy with it. 

Only one complaint - there is still a tendency to ping a long hopeful long ball when there is no actual need and we always lose possession. 

But 2nd in the table after 4  games is very pleasing.

12 hours ago, laukat said:

2 goals in 1 game from corners is just not the Thistle way.   We've probably scored more goals from corners this season than we have in the last 3 or 4 combined.

A couple of seasons back, not only was our delivery from corners consistently sub-standard, rarely threatening to score, we also lost a few goals to speedy counter attacks from our corners.

I do recall a serious debate on this forum as to whether our most efficient tactic on winning a corner might be to put the ball straight out into touch and then pressurise the other team from their throw in!

10 hours ago, Winter of '63 said:

Thistle looked like promotion contenders

My concern before making such rash predictions is that our wins have been against Morton, QotS and Dunfermline. Morton are the best of these 3 and when we came up against Arbroath, it was us who looked like relegation fodder. The next 2 league games will tell us more.

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

My concern before making such rash predictions is that our wins have been against Morton, QotS and Dunfermline. Morton are the best of these 3 and when we came up against Arbroath, it was us who looked like relegation fodder. The next 2 league games will tell us more.

On the day Morton were by far the worst opposition we've come up against tho' of course I only saw highlights of the Pars game.

I agree tho' with what you say. Four points from our next two games would go a long way to convince me we'll be a play off side at worst. Even then I'd still worry about our ability to get results on narrower pitches, especially artificial surfaces. I don't mean to sound too negative but we were fortunate to beat Queens whilst Pars and Morton didn't provide much opposition. Other teams will defend set plays better than our previous opposition. I'll be chuffed if we can grind out results away from home on the trickier playing surfaces, places where we can't rely on width and space. The ability to adapt our style of play will be crucial.   

3 wins out of 4. 10 goals in 4 games and 2 clean sheets after promotion is very impressive. Next week will be a proper test but apart from a off day at Arbroath, there’s certainly nothing to be negative about. Bring on the fake Thistle.

Edited by Thistle88
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

3 wins out of 4. 10 goals in 4 games and 2 clean sheets after promotion is very impressive. Next week will be a proper test but apart from a off day at Arbroath, there’s certainly nothing to be negative about. Bring on the fake Thistle.

Why will Stranraer away be a proper test ? :D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

An off day where we were still controversially denied a second goal that would have taken us into the lead and who knows what would happened then and where we lost 2 poor goals from the goalkeeper that could have easily been prevented 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

On the day Morton were by far the worst opposition we've come up against tho' of course I only saw highlights of the Pars game.

I agree tho' with what you say. Four points from our next two games would go a long way to convince me we'll be a play off side at worst. Even then I'd still worry about our ability to get results on narrower pitches, especially artificial surfaces. I don't mean to sound too negative but we were fortunate to beat Queens whilst Pars and Morton didn't provide much opposition. Other teams will defend set plays better than our previous opposition. I'll be chuffed if we can grind out results away from home on the trickier playing surfaces, places where we can't rely on width and space. The ability to adapt our style of play will be crucial.   

It also looked to me as if the relative lack of width at Gayfield last week literally cramped our style. But we're going to have to find ways to deal with that kind of problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

Caley haven’t lost a goal yet just looked at table so it’s the best Attack v the best Defence. Funnily enough Arbroath are second top scorers in the league, funny that considering a lot of people call them a strong defensive team.

Not forgetting that Dick Campbell doesn't exactly hava a reputation for scintillating, fast-flowing, high-scoring football. But the Red Lichties are doing well, it can't be denied. If we somehow don't get promoted, my choice would be them!

14 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

After the Dunfermline game (Game 2 of the League season), I pointed out that the league had already split into a lead pack of 4 and a chase group of 6.

After Game 4, the 2 sections of 4 and 6 have re-formed, but this time Arbroath are in the lead pack and Morton are in the chase group.

I like that way of looking at the overall picture. Next few games will definitely be interesting for adding colour and texture!

5 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I agree tho' with what you say. Four points from our next two games would go a long way to convince me we'll be a play off side at worst. Even then I'd still worry about our ability to get results on narrower pitches, especially artificial surfaces. I don't mean to sound too negative but we were fortunate to beat Queens whilst Pars and Morton didn't provide much opposition. Other teams will defend set plays better than our previous opposition. 

I agree. I think our team is very much Work In Progress and it will take a few more games for us to settle- some players like Rudden, Smith, Hastie, Tiffoney still need to get up to full match fitness. If these guys start firing on all cylinders and we get at least one more quality defender then we could have a very good season.

As a consequence I think the ICT and Killie games come maybe a couple of weeks too soon for us but even if we don’t get good results against them it’s still very early in the season. With ICT winning each of their league games 1.0 clearly we don’t want to concede first. Boring boring county maybe replaced by boring boring caley.

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I like that way of looking at the overall picture. Next few games will definitely be interesting for adding colour and texture!

What I found funny at the Olympics was that the so-called "chase group" were usually anything but chasing, but were looking absolutely exhausted and inexorably falling further behind. Hopefully that will happen in our league as well. That would leave us at least in the play offs, but perhaps  with the opportunity to make a well-timed sprint to grab the finishing tape.

However, early days yet and we could be talking Tour de France, with the over-optimistic breakaway being crushed under the wheels of the advancing peloton!