Morton Saturday

thebiglemon

Got there very late for the game yesterday having just got back from hols up north. Many thanks to the stewards who helped get me in efficiently despite the turnstiles obviously  having closed. Timed my arrival well since Graham scored just when I sat down. Bit strange watching only last half hour or so of a game but happy to chill out in the sunshine when three up. Holt and Akinola looked good from where I sat in JH. 

1 hour ago, jag71 said:

Got there very late for the game yesterday having just got back from hols up north. Many thanks to the stewards who helped get me in efficiently despite the turnstiles obviously  having closed. Timed my arrival well since Graham scored just when I sat down. Bit strange watching only last half hour or so of a game but happy to chill out in the sunshine when three up. Holt and Akinola looked good from where I sat in JH. 

You realise that you will now require to arrive at the same time for every home game.

4 hours ago, Thistle88 said:

I thought it was Inverness next week, I thought I read Stranraer was a Tuesday game :lol:. I was wrong.

Not as bad as the stadium announcer who I'm sure said at the end of the game that the next home game was against Inverness on the 11th

2 hours ago, jag71 said:

Holt is going to be mega for us this season …knows no fear and takes no prisoners.

16 minutes ago, madcapmilkdrinker said:

Any feedback on Akinola for us exiles who just see highlights? No one is moaning about him, so I'm taking this a good sign so far. 

Very sound reliable defender, good in the air and on the ground, comfortable in possession and with reasonable pace. Formed an immediate partnership with Holt. Having said that, Morton did not test him sufficiently to make a full judgment.

If I had to make any slight criticisms, they would be as follows:

1) His distribution was normally decent, but on occasion he just lumped the ball forward aimlessly. "If in doubt, clear the ball", seemed to be his watchwords and he was not party to any risky passes into dangerous areas.

2) He was too deferential to his new team mates and sometimes passed the ball when he could have carried on forward himself. That may change as he settles down and builds up confidence.

However, these are minor points and if he errs on the side of getting rid of the ball rather than dallying on it, that will generally be a good thing.

Overall, a strong signing, probably better suited to central defence than full back. It will be interesting to see what the manager decides as and when Lewis Mayo is available again. Personally I would keep the Holt/Akinola central defensive partnership, but that then has knock on effects on who might play at full back.

I'd echo p the d's last para. Will have to see what Akinola can do at centreback when up against better opponents. He was steady at right back at Gayfield but I too sense he'll maybe be a centreback that can play full back as opposed to the other way round. I'd reckon at worst Akinola will be a useful squad player. 

When all the defenders are fit we've a fair selection of multi positioners in the squad. At the moment Holt looks a stick on to play at left centreback, which in turn places Foster as left back. McKenna,  Mayo and Akinola can play both right centreback and right back. In addition Bell provides cover for either centreback position. I'd have thought logically we might want to bring in a left back (preferably an attacking type). That would mean that Holt wouldn't have to move position if Foster is unavailable. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett