Thistle v Killie

Lambies Lost Doo

Still feel quite deflated after last week and if truth be told we weren't up to much at Stranraer either, where we kinda huffed and puffed. Ironically talking about not being at the races, that's just where a few fans might well be. Tomorrow's game clashes with the Ayr Gold Cup meeting. Still I expect we'll get a good turnout tomorrow.

If we can cut out individual errors and centre midfield has considerably more bite to it than last week, we've every chance of a win. I expect Tiffoney will be well policed so maybe it's time to provide an equal threat down the right. McCall has his usual decision to make of whether to go two upfront or play an extra midfielder. The former invites too many long balls but the latter didn't exactly work for us last week, tho' that I reckon was more down to errors than shape. We really want Turner to stay on the pitch as long as possible. His dead ball delivery has been crucial. Playing two upfront more or less dictates that Turner will be subbed relatively early. Then again the Rudden/Graham partnership is a threat in itself. So not an easy decision for McCall.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

A hard game and a real test of how we will do this season. Goal keeper decision is a tricky one for McCall does he back Sneddon and hope to boost his confidence and performance or does he swap based on last week’s howler?

We will score but don’t see us keeping a clean sheet so we need to score a few, play the game in their half would be my tactics, but I’m not a football manager 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Still feel quite deflated after last week and if truth be told we weren't up to much at Stranraer either, where we kinda huffed and puffed. Ironically talking about not being at the races, that's just where a few fans might well be. Tomorrow's game clashes with the Ayr Gold Cup meeting. Still I expect we'll get a good turnout tomorrow.

If we can cut out individual errors and centre midfield has considerably more bite to it than last week, we've every chance of a win. I expect Tiffoney will be well policed so maybe it's time to provide an equal threat down the right. McCall has his usual decision to make of whether to go two upfront or play an extra midfielder. The former invites too many long balls but the latter didn't exactly work for us last week, tho' that I reckon was more down to errors than shape. We really want Turner to stay on the pitch as long as possible. His dead ball delivery has been crucial. Playing two upfront more or less dictates that Turner will be subbed relatively early. Then again the Rudden/Graham partnership is a threat in itself. So not an easy decision for McCall.

Perhaps you’re suggesting that Turner is a luxury player.

Hopefully he can contribute more in general play which would considerably raise his usefulness.

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

Perhaps you’re suggesting that Turner is a luxury player.

Hopefully he can contribute more in general play which would considerably raise his usefulness.

Not really. What I was getting at is when we are playing two upfront Turner has to play out of position wide right. If we play with one upfront Turner plays in his more natural role of an attacking central midfielder. The chances of him playing 90 mins then increases considerably as does our chances of scoring from a set play.

I don't think he's going to keep the likes of natural wide players such as Hastie or Murray on the bench re his wide midfield play but he's still a cracking player regardless of his dead ball gifts. 

I'd say we go 442 again and see how it works tomorrow,  McCall shouldn't have dicked about with the team after a few clean sheets, albeit it against Morton and Stenny,  Akinola isn't a right back, he's a centre half, play him and Holt at centre back. McCall seems to like Mayo but I'm yet to be convinced, I'd give Shea Gordon another go at right back and just tell him to defend and not bother about doing anything else. Otherwise play Hendrie at left back and move Foster to right back. 

Sneddon

Gordon Akinola Holt Foster

Turner Doch Banzo Tiff

Graham Rudden

There's a few big decisions for McCall this week

Does he throw in Hendrie and go for a more orthodox back 4? If so who loses out between Akinola and Mayo?Who plays in goals?

Personally I would go for Stone in goals. Sneddon's error last week was just confirmation that he will occassionally make mistakes and is probably not good enough for this level. Stone had a poor game at Arboath so we need to find out if that was a one off. 

You've got to figure Kilmarnock will play in a typical Tommy Wright way. Defensively strong, very physical, hope to nick a goal and throttle any attacking flair from the opposition. That might push McCall towards going for the extra height and phsyicality that McKenna or Akinola would bring at right back.

However for me I would prefer to go with a back 4 that has people in the preffered positions so I would go with

Stone

Foster-Akinola-Holt-Hendrie

Turner-Docherty-Bannigan

Rudden-Graham-Tiffoney

19 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

1st thought.  No walk up tickets for Away fans.  Why?  Should be a big crowd.  Potential for even bigger crowd.  https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/kilmarnock-matchday-information/

2nd thought.  Team?

1st time back to Firhill since lockdown.

I suppose it’s because we are still in this Covid thing. However, you would think that individual clubs or the league as a whole could develop some kind of app that allows people to buy a “ticket” to any game and download it to your phone as a QR code or even a physical ticket. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I suppose it’s because we are still in this Covid thing. However, you would think that individual clubs or the league as a whole could develop some kind of app that allows people to buy a “ticket” to any game and download it to your phone as a QR code or even a physical ticket. 

My thistle season ticket is a QR code on my phone ….

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I think all our away games have been by entry by QR code (ordinary bar code last week). These have all been hosted by the home club. PTFC website merely advertising the link.  We appear to do the opposite and have visiting clubs sell the away "tickets".

Slightly on a tangent but personally I think this moving to a "cashless Firhill" a tad premature and could alienate some fans, especially amongst the elderly support. 

• Like 1

I see that today's match is sponsored by the friends and family of Johnny Farmer.  If that's the same John Farmer who was in my class as secondary school,  he passed away  in the 70s.  Sadly his younger brother Peter passed away not long after, both from heart conditions.

Both were fervent Jags fans, who regularly attended games, so I'm happy to see their memory lives on.