Thistle v Killie

Lambies Lost Doo

Missed the game yesterday due to work so can’t comment too much other that to say I was happy for Sneddon who seemed to redeem himself after last weekend’s nightmare and the simple fact this current squad are just not good enough to make a serious challenge for promotion  this season from what I’ve seen and heard so far.

3 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Just watched Ollie Shaw’s  goal from a clip on P&B and whilst he struck it well our defence and midfield were non existent ….worrying .

Mayo gave a clear shout it was his ball to head clear and then missed it completely. Thought we were a bit unlucky with the og, and the first goal proved to be crucial

Edited by ironfist

I think McCall is going to have to figure out if wants his best players on the park or a his best team.

We always play Turner, Docherty, Bannigan, Graham, Tiffoney and Rudden if fit.

As a consequence we have a very unusual formation which is nether a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 which usually leaves Turner in no mans land with Bannigan and Docherty outnumbered in the middle.

It was noticeable yesterday that we did best in the first half when we had Turner, Bannigan and Docherty playing closer together and more central with McKenna and Foster pushing on to cover the wider areas. Kilmarnock soon realised that if they pinned back McKenna it would mean Turner would be overloaded as neither Rudden or Graham naturally cover wide areas in the way that Tiffoney does. When you add that McKenna is not a natural rightback its a lot to ask.

To make us defensively stronger it probably means only playing one striker or moving Foster to rightback with Hendrie at leftback and hoping Foster can do what McKenna can't.

Playing 2 strikers in what is a sort of 4-3-3 is also making our attack very predictable. Everything come down the left as that's the only place we have a winger.

For a 4-3-3 to work we need to 2 wingers so Hastie is essential but its worrying he didn't even get on the bench yesterday. Even assuming he is fit it means either dropping 1 of Turner, Bannigan and Docherty in midfield to go to a 4-4-2 or dropping 1 of Tiffoney, Graham and Rudden up front to go for a 4-3-3.

If Hastie isn't an option then moving to a 3-5-2 may be the better option with the following starting:

Sneddon

Mayo-Akinola-Holt

Foster-Turner-Docherty-Bannigan-Hendrie

Graham-Tiffoney

Lots of really good analysis here, and apologies if I now lower the quality of this. 

It reminds me of the days when Lyle Taylor and Kris Doolan were both excellent, but very different, centre forwards. In theory you could play them as a two, but that was rarely the optimum choice. Thus, at the risk of slightly frustrating both, it was one or the other.  This did, however,  have the advantage that rather than plugging away in the same shape (and/or possibly bring on substitutes of lesser quality), even if it was not working, we could change the game totally, by bringing on a quality (and fired up) new striker to pose different problems.

My thoughts are more along the lines of 4-2-3-1. Bannigan and Docherty are the 2, and Graham or Rudden are the 1. The 3 can be flexible attacking midfielders who can change around as required to keep the opposition guessing. However, in general the central of the 3 would be Turner who can help the midfield 2 and also break forward behind/beyond the attacking 1. This also means that Turner is not automatically the one always to be substituted early (losing his deadball delivery option). The other 2 of the 3 could be Tiffoney/Hastie/Smith/Murray/McIver (or possibly Rudden playing a slightly different role from his norm, but one I think that he would be up to), depending on form and fitness.

Briefly commenting on the 4, I will repeat what I have said before about re-creating the successful Akinola/Holt central defensive partnership.  The fullbacks can be Mayo/Foster/Hendrie/McKenna depending again on form and fitness, and the challenges/demands of specific opponents.

Red Card to whomever turned on the sprinklers at half time and then gave our players boots without studs.  You'd have thought they were on an ice rink in the second half.

Too many useless crosses into the box from the 18 yard area when the simple thing that causes goal threat is too charge quickly to the by-line and cross from there before defenders can get set and our attackers and on the front foot.  

And can anyone explain the tactic when our goalie takes a by-kick were all 20 outfield players cuddle up in front of the dugout's.  

With the world of instant wifi communication McCall needs to get himself in the main stand and see the game from the tactical perspective of height. Instructions for subs and on field bolloking can be done by assistant staff.  Maybe someone will tell me that the rules state the manager must be in the dugout but I can't imagine they do.

PS We wurnae very good

Credit to Mr McCall who brave-faced a tricky Q & A this afternoon at the Open Day. Questions posed were both soul searching and forensic in nature but the Gaffer answered everything asked with a straight bat. I didn't take notes but a couple of the more difficult questions during his grilling were "Can I get one of your hats?" and "Who's your favourite footballer of all time?". Just a flavour of the intensity of this interrogation. For the record the answers were "Yes" and "Diego Maradona"

On a lighter note McCall admitted he hadn't yet got the shape of the side right. He believes that central midfield is in itself not a problem area and will be fine once we get that shape sorted out. We tried to sign Michael Gardyne during the summer and the current Championship player he rates the highest is (still) Tam O'Brien at Arbroath. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No wins recorded by the five senior Glasgow sides this weekend (charitably including Clyde).

Glasgow Uni knocked out of the Scottish Cup too.

Re formation - 4-3-1-2 may be the way to go. Turner is clearly most effective supporting the strike force. The issue then becomes how to incorporate Tiffoney into a midfield three that offers protection to the defence. Maybe Akinola - Bannigan - Tiffoney? Might require Tiffoney to learn some defensive discipline, but that may not be a bad thing.

6 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Strange day in the SPFL yesterday. No home teams won in the top 2 leagues. In the Championship no home team scored and only Dunfermline picked up 1 point. In the other 2 leagues only 2 home victories. Not a great day to be at home.

Well done to James Penrice for being part of the winning Livingston team v Celtic.

On 9/19/2021 at 12:08 AM, CotterJag said:

Docherty needs to get a grip in the middle.

Not sure what he's playing at. 

Docherty, Graham, Rudden: all three with first touches that make them look like they've never played football before. Having said that, some of the passes they received from other players were also overhit, or underhit, just a general symptom of our useless passing game.

First guy: "That b*stard gave me the the ball, what for? Now what'll I do?  I know: get rid of it, there's somebody a couple of yards beside me, he can have it."

Other guy: "Have it back."

First guy: "Oh feck,..... I'm puntin' this, then it's not my problem."

• Like 1

On 9/19/2021 at 1:14 AM, javeajag said:

So …. Don’t look like a title winning side but can we get too 4 yes that’s still possible which would be a reasonable result 

credit to sneddon with a great save in the first half and the penalty save in the second 

main issue is midfield to front we never got behind them or created much and resorted to cross balls that never looked like working and didn’t have a plan B 

rudden gave a good headless chicken impression today and his ball retention and lay off was very poor …, Graham was just poor

time to maybe  consider Graham up front with tiffoney behind and a more solid midfield  four 

lots of work do 

Agreed, not only an over-reliance on cross ball, but they were almost all slow, floaty crosses, on which anybody who even managed to get on the end of would not be able to generate any power in a header. A pretty useless tactic.

It's maybe time to give Graham some bench time.

I'll add a word about Foster. To me he seems slow, and on several occasions he failed to get in a cross or pass because he was half a second too slow with his kick, letting the opposition block it.

Edited by Jaggernaut

On 9/19/2021 at 1:28 AM, dougie247 said:

We had so many crosses into the box today and 95% tidied up easily.. You'd hope that they would then change up our tactics when its apparent we getting no where.

edit: we did have some chances off headers admittedly but again all came to nothing

Ninety-five percent of them were slow floaters..... bread and butter stuff for central defenders and goalies.

8 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I'll add a word about Foster. To me he seems slow, and on several occasions he failed to get in a cross or pass because he was half a second too slow with his kick, letting the opposition block it.

For a 36 year old I think Foster is exceptionally fit. Completely understandable if he's not got the pace of say SOD or ATS. More to the point Foster is playing down the wrong wing, which is bound to affect his cross ball. When you've got Tiffoney also checking on to his right foot or cutting in from the left it seems to me all the more important to play a natural left sided full back. Just one more example of the team not having the right shape/balance about it.

Foster's fitness or stamina is not a problem, neither really is his pace.  You hit it more on the nail in another post with the "I'm puntin this, then it's not my problem" comment. We're set up for that as we can't move positive balls thru the middle. We've two creative ball playing midfielders. One nurse-maiding our holding mid the other played out of position on the right.

Despite the all-too obvious slump in form and results over the past few league games, we still find ourselves fourth in the league. It's time for McCall to try something new.... give the new guys that we've signed and praised a chance from the start.... and show that we really are in the battle to win the league. This means that a win in Kirkcaldy is the only acceptable result.  Anything less, even a draw, will reek of mid-table mediocrity ahead, or perhaps worse.

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

Despite the all-too obvious slump in form and results over the past few league games, we still find ourselves fourth in the league. It's time for McCall to try something new.... give the new guys that we've signed and praised a chance from the start.... and show that we really are in the battle to win the league. This means that a win in Kirkcaldy is the only acceptable result.  Anything less, even a draw, will reek of mid-table mediocrity ahead, or perhaps worse.

The long awaited return of the must-win game then?

A few observations 

If Tiff is well marked we have no pace or flair. 

I thought Akinola looked excellent. He shouldn’t be left out.

We appear to lose belief far too easily.

No midfielders ever ‘risk’ getting on the end of cut backs. 

McKenna is not a full back. Ball winning mid possibly.

The loan signings haven’t impressed.  Where is Hastie?

6 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

A few observations 

If Tiff is well marked we have no pace or flair. 

I thought Akinola looked excellent. He shouldn’t be left out.

We appear to lose belief far too easily.

No midfielders ever ‘risk’ getting on the end of cut backs. 

McKenna is not a full back. Ball winning mid possibly.

The loan signings haven’t impressed.  Where is Hastie?

Unfortunately, that includes even when we score first!