Thistle v Killie

Lambies Lost Doo

I've kept quiet letting others enjoy the honeymoon of our fortuitous promotion, but that honeymoon is well and truly over. I'll give McCall some credit as he was able to profit from Falkirk's capitulation and he has brought in some pretty decent players, but there in lies his failings.

Leaving aside the goalkeepers where there are issues and I don't think either are ready to be Championship regulars yet, we have some decent players throughout the rest of the squad.

Akinola, Mayo, Holt, Foster, McKenna and Hendrie should be able to form a defence worthy of a Championship challenge (even better when Brownlie returns)

The midfield must, on paper be one of the best, with Bannigan, Docherty, Turner, Tiffony, Hastie, Murray and Smith, all of them would walk into any other side in this league

Up front, Graham and Rudden have shown that they know how to score goals.

On paper we probably have the best squad in the league

Clearly it is not the players that are the issue, but some how the team plays to less than the sum of the components, in direct contrast to Arbroath. How many of their players would we want and how many of ours would they want ? It is the managers job to get the team playing to their potential and this is where he has failed.  Badly. It's not like he doesn't have form in this respect. It took the nous of McNamara to turn the team he built into title challengers first time round (does anyone think that McCall would have won the league ?) and for the first half of last season the team was playing way below its potential. It is pretty clear to me that with McCall we can bumble along in, as others have said, "mid-table mediocrity", but we could do so much better with a manager who could galvanise the players he has found into a winning unit. 

We don't need a scout. We need a manager.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, McCall Out said:

I've kept quiet letting others enjoy the honeymoon of our fortuitous promotion, but that honeymoon is well and truly over. I'll give McCall some credit as he was able to profit from Falkirk's capitulation and he has brought in some pretty decent players, but there in lies his failings.

Leaving aside the goalkeepers where there are issues and I don't think either are ready to be Championship regulars yet, we have some decent players throughout the rest of the squad.

Akinola, Mayo, Holt, Foster, McKenna and Hendrie should be able to form a defence worthy of a Championship challenge (even better when Brownlie returns)

The midfield must, on paper be one of the best, with Bannigan, Docherty, Turner, Tiffony, Hastie, Murray and Smith, all of them would walk into any other side in this league

Clearly it is not the players that are the issue, but some how the team plays to less than the sum of the components, in direct contrast to Arbroath. How many of their players would we want and how many of ours would they want ? It is the managers job to get the team playing to their potential and this is where he has failed.  Badly. It's not like he doesn't have form in this respect. It took the nous of McNamara to turn the team he built into title challengers first time round (does anyone think that McCall would have won the league ?) and for the first half of last season the team was playing way below its potential. It is pretty clear to me that with McCall we can bumble along in, as others have said, "mid-table mediocrity", but we could do so much better with a manager who could galvanise the players he has found into a winning unit. 

Hard to argue with you on this.  On paper we do have one of the better squads maybe goalie aside so would be expecting us to be up there come May.

Clearly it is not the players that are the issue, but some how the team plays to less than the sum of the components, in direct contrast to Arbroath. How many of their players would we want and how many of ours would they want ?

In a heartbeat I'd swap their gigantic forward (Nouble or Noublay) for any of our strikers, and their wee midfield guy who totally bossed the place against us a couple of weeks ago; in return for Bannigan or Docherty.

As for the rest of your post, are we to take it that you think the bunnet is the kind of manager we should be looking for?

8 hours ago, West of Scotland said:

Gotta love the usual suspects on here gleefully opening their wrists after six games.

It's more than 6 games. League, League Cup, Challenge Cup.  And he admits he still doesn't know his best side? Caley with a new inexperienced manager are top. Killie with a whole new squad are right behind them. They have got their side settled, so why not McCall?. He just doesn't have that final bit to take Thistle further than mid table Championship  

17 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

In a heartbeat I'd swap their gigantic forward (Nouble or Noublay) for any of our strikers, and their wee midfield guy who totally bossed the place against us a couple of weeks ago; in return for Bannigan or Docherty.

As for the rest of your post, are we to take it that you think the bunnet is the kind of manager we should be looking for?

Thank god you didn't say Dools. I might have screamed ! Would Nouble do any better in our set up than Graham ? Would Banzo or Doc be bossed by anyone in this league if playing at their best ?

As for Campbell, "the kind of manager" yes, but not him. Been there done that and don't want the sort of negative football that he usually sets out with (I know they are scoring this season, but it is an exception). I do admire that his teams usually play way above what is expected from the players available. We need someone like that who can gel the team so that every player plays to nearly 100% of potential most games and I don't think McCall will ever be that. I don't have any names to put forward, but I'd be surprised if we would get that from any of the usual suspects, so it would need to be someone from left field.

On 9/21/2021 at 12:03 PM, McCall Out said:

Some of those 7 mentioned don’t even walk into the Thistle team never mind any other team.  Because they’re not very good!

Have you seen some of those defenders’worthy of a championship challenge’ being rag dolled by Arbroath and Caley and taken apart by Killie? Some of them are not very good!

As for the strikers, they’ve rather gone off the ball! Both were stinkin against Killie.  Perhaps they’re not very good. Graham looked washed up.

There are better players scattered throughout the league who would walk into our team so it would be an achievement by McCall to get us to the playoffs.

I think most of the support were hoping for the play offs this year, but of course secretly hoping we might someone challenge. We still might but I agree signs not looking overly promising. That said we started poorly last season then pushed on for what was not a fortuitous promotion as suggested above. Let's see where we are after 15 games where things will be a lot clearer. Only a fool would predict the final outcome at this stage....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Some of those 7 mentioned don’t even walk into the Thistle team never mind any other team.  Because they’re not very good!

Have you seen some of those defenders’worthy of a championship challenge’ being rag dolled by Arbroath and Caley and taken apart by Killie? Some of them are not very good!

As for the strikers, they’ve rather gone off the ball! Both were stinkin against Killie.  Perhaps they’re not very good. Graham looked washed up.

There are better players scattered throughout the league who would walk into our team so it would be an achievement by McCall to get us to the playoffs.

I think you miss the point. Most of the squad have played better, often at a higher level, than they are under McCall. It is no coincidence that the entire team are playing way beneath what they are capable of.

Docherty and Bannigan should not be getting bossed by Nicky Low at Arbroath. Mayo plays for Scotland U21

I realise statistics are only 78.4% accurate but there's some rather interesting bits and bobs within this https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19598502.stats-behind-partick-thistles-start-championship-campaign/

Some of the stats back up what's been said on this forum. Low possession rate, inaccurate punts and lack of shape (eg no wide right attacking influence). Make of it what you will.

• Like 2

I think you miss the point. Most of the squad have played better, often at a higher level, than they are under McCall. It is no coincidence that the entire team are playing way beneath what they are capable of.

Docherty and Bannigan should not be getting bossed by Nicky Low at Arbroath. Mayo plays for Scotland U21

Not sure what Arbroath game you are referencing but Docherty didn't get bossed by Nicky Low in our recent 3-1 loss as Docherty didn't play.

I think most observers of that game noticed that Docherty not playing was part of the reason we lost. That coupled with Nouble giving Akinola and Mayo a torrid time as well as Stone having a couple of clangers.

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I realise statistics are only 78.4% accurate but there's some rather interesting bits and bobs within this https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19598502.stats-behind-partick-thistles-start-championship-campaign/

Some of the stats back up what's been said on this forum. Low possession rate, inaccurate punts and lack of shape (eg no wide right attacking influence). Make of it what you will.

Just about every one of those stats could be worth a thread on its own. Maybe not to everybody's taste, but I found them fascinating and revealing.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, McCall Out said:

Not sure what you mean about Mayo. He wouldn’t get picked for Scotland if he wasn’t playing well for his club. Rudden, eg isn’t in the current squad.

On 9/22/2021 at 10:47 PM, Weebaw1 said:

Jesus ! Your assessment is even more bleak than McCall Out ! Sounds from this like he has signed a load of crap and not even Pep Guardiola could get them playing.

On 9/24/2021 at 7:25 AM, Dick Dastardly said:

Jesus ! Your assessment is even more bleak than McCall Out ! Sounds from this like he has signed a load of crap and not even Pep Guardiola could get them playing.

Didn’t mean that at all.

My point is that expectation levels are at play off level. We have a good manager who will do well to get us there. Other teams have players os a similar standard but I don’t think any of ours would walk into any of the top teams.

Except Tiff who is fab!