Rovers v Thistle

Albert's Ghost

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

He won't miss it. 2 yellows means next season's League Cup suspension

Some punishment that. Missing out on a section qualifier.    

Anyways......

*Game on a Sunday 

*No cash gate

*Train strike

*Public Bus journey problematic

*Raith near the top of the "Never Another Penny" blacklist.

After not really enough soul searching I'm going but fully understand Jags fans giving the game a miss.

As for the game itself, I'm hoping McCall's admission he's still looking for balance & shape will find a way of playing Turner in a more central role. Played out right tho' still one of the better performers, he's not as effective on the ball. Out of position he's near a cert for early substitution, meaning we also lose our top dead ball fella for the last 20-30 mins. 

Won't happen but....

..........................................Sneddon

Foster...............Akinola...............Holt.............Hendrie

............................................Mayo

Murray/Hastie......Turner...Bannigan.......Tiffoney

............................Graham/(Rudden)

3 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Some punishment that. Missing out on a section qualifier.    

Anyways......

*Game on a Sunday 

*No cash gate

*Train strike

*Public Bus journey problematic

*Raith near the top of the "Never Another Penny" blacklist.

After not really enough soul searching I'm going but fully understand Jags fans giving the game a miss.

As for the game itself, I'm hoping McCall's admission he's still looking for balance & shape will find a way of playing Turner in a more central role. Played out right tho' still one of the better performers, he's not as effective on the ball. Out of position he's near a cert for early substitution, meaning we also lose our top dead ball fella for the last 20-30 mins. 

Won't happen but....

..........................................Sneddon

Foster...............Akinola...............Holt.............Hendrie

............................................Mayo

Murray/Hastie......Turner...Bannigan.......Tiffoney

............................Graham/(Rudden)

Thats pretty similar to the team I would go with and a 4-1-4-1 should in theory make us defensively tighter which you would think would be better for away games

Mayo or Akinola in defensive midfield instead of Docherty provides height at set pieces and probably allows a choice of either Graham or Rudden up front. Playing Docherty pretty much means playing Graham or playing a centreback at rightback.

Thats not to say Graham shouldn't start as he has probably shown more than Rudden but we need to get to a place that we are selecting forwards on their forward play and not just their aerial presence.

Hastie would be the better option on the right as on paper he has the pace to worry teams but he's going to have to show something to get a start.

Playing Murray is tempting but I would have thought Smith was ahead of him. Smith may not be a natural wide player but neither Murray or Smith have blistering pace and Smith looks more creative on the ball.  

32 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

As captain, surely Docherty will play if fit.

Yes. Mainly tho because McCall believes he's been not so good due to the imbalance in the side. Sort that out and he'll be hunky dory. Others, myself included, feel Docherty has been too wasteful with the ball and too easily bullied off it last two games.

13 minutes ago, fenski said:

I agree a change of formation in order to get a better blend in midfield is required. Re some of suggestions above - I didn't think Murray is a natural wide player either? That's possibly part of the issue - Turner, Smith and Murray are all best when played centrally.

Why did we get Hastie then play someone out of position 

6 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Why? What do you know is going to happen in January ?

Not even end of September and looking to survive to January window. We’re doomed !

Maybees ayes maybees naws…if we can keep in touching distance till Jan ,a wee refresh during window and then perhaps a surge up the league ……who knows but I  don’t buy the “we’re doomed” mantra yet .

15 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Maybees ayes maybees naws…if we can keep in touching distance till Jan ,a wee refresh during window and then perhaps a surge up the league ……who knows but I  don’t buy the “we’re doomed” mantra yet .

Will there be any money available in January? Will it be more loans with others moving on? McCall needs to find his shape well before then, starting today or he should be booted into the Firhill Basin.

On 9/24/2021 at 12:31 PM, laukat said:

...we need to get to a place that we are selecting forwards on their forward play and not just their aerial presence...

The ideal forward combination is two very different players - not a pairing of tall, not very fast target men. Taking a completely different approach, I'd play Tiffoney through the middle with either Graham or Rudden - combining speed with height and still using two goal-scorers. All we're doing at the moment is trying to match the conventional two tall central defenders with similar players in the hope they'll get their chances. It won't happen, of course, because in British football you take your fastest player and tell him to take the ball to the part of the pitch where nobody scores. :loco:

Playing ok and our formation looks more balanced with Smith on the right allowing Turner to get forward in central areas. However our crossing is really poor.

The goal is down to people following asleep. Looks like Smith was slow to react to the short corner allowing Zannata a free run and shot. Foster steps of the near post and if stays there he blocks what was a weak shot easily.

Sneddon's not the fault for that goal but if that was Cerny or goalkeeper with experience he would have been tearing a strip off both Smith and Foster. With the exception of Foster we lack a vocal leader at the back.

8 minutes ago, laukat said:

Playing ok and our formation looks more balanced with Smith on the right allowing Turner to get forward in central areas. However our crossing is really poor.

The goal is down to people following asleep. Looks like Smith was slow to react to the short corner allowing Zannata a free run and shot. Foster steps of the near post and if stays there he blocks what was a weak shot easily.

Sneddon's not the fault for that goal but if that was Cerny or goalkeeper with experience he would have been tearing a strip off both Smith and Foster. With the exception of Foster we lack a vocal leader at the back.

You might be right because I only caught the  goal  when I came back from the kitchen, so I didn’t see it properly, but it did look on first watch that Sneddon took an age to move for it!