Rovers v Thistle

Albert's Ghost

We had Raith pinned in up until the penalty. I think its Smith that handles and it was again because he hadn't picked up his runner. Smith looked decent going forward but you can't expect to be selected if you are not going to do your defensive duties properly. Losing the penalty just killed any momentum we had.

2 goals conceded from corners is poor at any level. When you throw away a penalty its just impossible to win games. Raith weren't great as demonstrated by us almost nicking a draw.

I don't understand why when McKenna got subbed we didn't put either Holt to left back and Foster to right back or put on Hendrie. This obsession with playing a centreback (Mayo, McKenna or Akinola) at rightback makes our defence really slow and means delivery from wide areas is poor.  We are effectively starting every game with 3 players in our back 4 not in their natural position.

Raith were not a particularly tall side so there was no need to play so many centrehalfs. Even worse to play them and find they all get outjumped for the 3rd goal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, laukat said:

We had Raith pinned in up until the penalty. I think its Smith that handles and it was again because he hadn't picked up his runner. Smith looked decent going forward but you can't expect to be selected if you are not going to do your defensive duties properly. Losing the penalty just killed any momentum we had.

2 goals conceded from corners is poor at any level. When you throw away a penalty its just impossible to win games. Raith weren't great as demonstrated by us almost nicking a draw.

I don't understand why when McKenna got subbed we didn't put either Holt to left back and Foster to right back or put on Hendrie. This obsession with playing a centreback (Mayo, McKenna or Akinola) at rightback makes our defence really slow and means delivery from wide areas is poor.  We are effectively starting every game with 3 players in our back 4 not in their natural position.

Raith were not a particularly tall side so there was no need to play so many centrehalfs. Even worse to play them and find they all get outjumped for the 3rd goal.

Smith looked a key signing but has been mediocre and has not been on the score sheet.  Also wondering the point in signing Mciver 

As laukat says the penalty was crucial. First half was dreadful but we were starting to create the first part of 2nd half. Unfortunately that period of play coincided with a bout of Dallas Mania, which tho' always bound to happen was still unlucky timing. The midfield was again too easily knocked off the ball but we know we're lightweight in that area. Feel it was a game where we could have managed to get a point from, even if we were the poorer side. 

I thought we were poor. McKenna is not a fullback. Putting Mayo to right back in the second half means that’s the fourth player to play there so far. Squad is unbalanced and light in midfield. Thought we should have had at least one pen at 1-0 but even then we were well beaten and the final score flattered us. 

What gets me is manager assistant manager x2 goal keeper coach plus god knows who else what are we getting in return for their services and won’t even speak about the king of Spain and the queen of spin and no I didn’t miss the A in spin top to bottom we are still rank rotten and when we going to get a response from boardroom as to how club is doing seems very quietly being overlooked as in move along nothing to see here sorry about the lack of  grammar not tech savvy just just jags fan and it seems like we are sliding back to the old days

a quick glance at the table tells us all we need to know ... with 13 for we are scoring more than the top two by some considerable margin so far this season but with 13 against we are leaking badly at the back - if we can identify the issues and shore this up there's still a chance of mounting a challenge this season 

From the Raith site's highlights: our build up play didn't look too  bad, apart from the useless floaty crosses. It's the soft defence that's becoming a worry, bigger one every week. Too many players crowding around but just standing around. Sneddon unsighted for the two non-penalty goals, or at least he (understandably) expected one of our defenders to at least put in a challenge.

A reshuffle is now required.

The Docherty/Bannigan thing is simply ponderous. No dig, no pace, no incisive passing, no arriving in the box for a pass or cut back.

If Banzo’s injured perhaps Doc is required but we don’t need both. 
Give Turner more responsibility. Perhaps Murray could be accommodated on the right of a mid 4.

Foster and Graham are looking their age. Good pros no doubt but perhaps it’s time up.

To allow that Zanatta to run riot was quite shocking.  Time and again he ran across our defence left to right, then passed to the spare man. Sneddon’s save 2nd half was brilliant. It looked like a 1st half pen also. And the goal was amateurish. And he’s a detestable diver. 

Indeed, they were a horrid, niggly bunch. Perhaps we could learn! It’s poor losing to a team lacking much quality. We’ll find out next week how we compare to the really crap teams in the league.

I like Akintola. No idea why Mayo was preferred although I thought he did ok at RB. Gordon changed the game when he came on.

No way was Sneddon culpable.

Akinola, Hendrie , Gordon, Rudden to start next week please.

• Like 1

Clueless.

I still think he has some decent players, but no idea how to make them a team. Lost to all of the top 4 now.

Did golden bollocks not say (as Ayr manager) that Ayr should not be winning at Firhill ? Time to stand by your own mantra. By my count it is 5 games v Ayr at Firhill since we last won. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, McCall Out said:

Clueless.

I still think he has some decent players, but no idea how to make them a team. Lost to all of the top 4 now.

Did golden bollocks not say (as Ayr manager) that Ayr should not be winning at Firhill ? Time to stand by your own mantra. By my count it is 5 games v Ayr at Firhill since we last won. 

His inability to get some shape to this squad is on danger of putting us in a relegation fight. He needs to go. ( of course he won't quit and our dreadful board won't pull the trigger).

4 hours ago, McCall Out said:

Clueless.

So if we beat Ayr next week you will say what? 

1 minute ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

If they win of course that's a positive,  but you deliberately ignore the bigger picture. But I suppose that's the job of a happy clapper.

I'm just being objective, not subjective. Two sides to every story. You have made your position clear so let's see if you will be eating a large dose of humble pie , similar to last season. I certainly hope so and I'll be applauding with gusto.