Thistle v Ayr Utd

elevenone

Very similar to the Morton game. They had a bustling front man and a team that huffed and puffed but didn’t do much to trouble us.  Did they even have a shot at goal?

Thought players like Muirhead and McGinty  looked really poor for them and l’m glad we’ve moved on from them and their ilk - our whole defence was better than players like that.

I don’t think we’ll be at the top of the league this year but, having seen some teams like Ayr and Morton, we certainly won’t be at the bottom.

14 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

He has already been mentioned, but let me join the chorus of approval for Akinola.. Tremendous performance. Real joy and pride in defending. I hope some of his blocks get into the JagZone highlights.

Absolutely agree. I thought he was absolutely outstanding today. Well worth the song he got from the Northie. Holt magnificent as well today.

• Like 2

Great win and we scored goals at great times. Thought their big centre forward was a bit of a handful in first half hour without creating many chances. Sneddon was solid and did everything he was asked to do. Tiffs came onto a game in second half and caused them load of problems. Other results great as well! Happy days! 

Much better performance but Ayr are absolutely Rotten and I’d say the worst team we have played against this season. Timing wise it’s a good a confidence boost after a few disappointing weeks.  Defence looked much better today and I hope that’s our back four going forward now.

Turner will be disappointed to have been dropped today though because I felt Docherty was the one who deserved to be out of the team. Tiffoney played really well today and I hope we can Extend Akinolas  contact before there’s a bit of interest in him, he’s been great since he came in bar one game.

Edited by Thistle88

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

I thought the lad Adeloye has scored a number of goals for them up front? Wouldn’t say they have nothing going forward 

That's not really what Flycatcher said though, and I'd agree with him.

Adeloye was busy and a bit of a handful, but they had absolutely nothing coming from midfield to support or create for him. It was just high balls for him to deal with, which he did quite well at times it has to be said.

So saying they had nothing to offer in midfield going forward is quite right for me.

It's probably a bit churlish not to be overly excited by such a comfortable victory...but Ayr were very poor. Thanks to Camallain for posting the videos of our goals...McGinty wasn't up to much when he played for us but this showed how leaden-footed and hapless he was today...I also got to see (just about) how our third goal ended up in the net.

Ayr never seriously looked liked scoring so credit to our defence...Holt did well and Akinola looked a proper defender. Banzo was excellent in directing play although two wasteful free kicks...Tiffoney always threatens to open up a defence...Rudden was a mixture of very good and clumsy.

On the downside, Foster's crossing was woeful, Docherty again pretty anonymous and Smith not very effective wide right.  We have failed badly against the better sides in this League so far and we will have to improve in these areas to avoid a nothing season. 

I don't think anyone's calling us title challengers based on today, but to finish bottom half now would be bitterly disappointing. As is traditional in this league, there isn't a great deal between the sides & anyone can beat anyone on their day. Didn't see the match but guess it shows that if we play well we shouldn't drop many points against the sides below us - even bearing in mind Ayr United were potentially relegation standard

25 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

It's probably a bit churlish not to be overly excited by such a comfortable victory...but Ayr were very poor. Thanks to Camallain for posting the videos of our goals...McGinty wasn't up to much when he played for us but this showed how leaden-footed and hapless he was today...I also got to see (just about) how our third goal ended up in the net.

Ayr never seriously looked liked scoring so credit to our defence...Holt did well and Akinola looked a proper defender. Banzo was excellent in directing play although two wasteful free kicks...Tiffoney always threatens to open up a defence...Rudden was a mixture of very good and clumsy.

On the downside, Foster's crossing was woeful, Docherty again pretty anonymous and Smith not very effective wide right.  We have failed badly against the better sides in this League so far and we will have to improve in these areas to avoid a nothing season. 

It was an excellent performance with Akinola settling in brilliantly and Holt outstanding up and down the left. Don’t know if he came deeper but Tiff was fantastic 2nd half.

I agree with the tenor of this post. If we are to challenge, we need to sort out-

Stodgy midfield 

Both central mids are excellent footballers but they have no dynamism or desire to get into the box.

Right side

Foster is a good player but is slow and his delivery poor. There is very little positive attacking from the right.  I thought Gordon should have been at right back to provide more attacks. Smith had little support.

Set pieces without Turner

All wasted! 

More consistency from Rudden. He took his goal brilliantly to show his talent but needs 100% concentration for 90 minutes to step up a level.