Thistle v Ayr Utd

elevenone

3 hours ago, Fearchar said:

According to the stats collected for the BBC, we had 9 corners - yet none of them resulted in scoring. That's extraordinary, and surely needs to be looked at.

How many goals per corner do you expect? One every 2. One every 4? The reality is that the vast majority of teams are well drilled on defending corners. Nb we won 4 nil. 

11 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

How many goals per corner do you expect? One every 2. One every 4? The reality is that the vast majority of teams are well drilled on defending corners. Nb we won 4 nil. 

Not 0 out of 9, at any rate: otherwise, what's the point of players forcing corners? 1 out of 9 would surely still be a low rate, I'd suggest, especially for a team with two tall strikers (and usually a few tall defenders) in the box when corners are taken.

On the other hand, if there really were no expectation of a return from corners, players shouldn't even be looking to get the ball to the byeline, but be told to cut in or pass back in order to get the ball into the box every time.

It's a very curious statistic, and should surely warrant comparison with other teams' performances at corner kicks.

1 hour ago, Fearchar said:

Not 0 out of 9, at any rate: otherwise, what's the point of players forcing corners? 1 out of 9 would surely still be a low rate, I'd suggest, especially for a team with two tall strikers (and usually a few tall defenders) in the box when corners are taken.

On the other hand, if there really were no expectation of a return from corners, players shouldn't even be looking to get the ball to the byeline, but be told to cut in or pass back in order to get the ball into the box every time.

It's a very curious statistic, and should surely warrant comparison with other teams' performances at corner kicks.

Hmm. But how do you know it's a curious statistic if you don't have the data on other teams' goals to corner kicks ratio? That said we could definitely improve our crossing, both at set pieces and in open play.

2 hours ago, Fearchar said:

According to this, about 3% conversion is average over 10 years in the top leagues- way below 1 in 9 as you suggest we should expect as a minimum (though admittedly the top leagues don’t have McGinty in defence):  https://sqaf.club/goals-from-corners-stats/

A very comfortable win. That back four looked really solid.  Like Akinola, and holt was good at left back. Think the criticism foster gets at times is a little harsh. Although Turner came on when the game was won I thought he looked far more effective in the centre than playing wide. Good to see Hastie get on as well, hopefully he has a lot to offer between now and the end of his loan. 

9 hours ago, Thornwood Jag said:

Hmm. But how do you know it's a curious statistic if you don't have the data on other teams' goals to corner kicks ratio? That said we could definitely improve our crossing, both at set pieces and in open play.

I've come into this "corner kick" thingy on here a bit late so maybe missing the rationale. Perhaps the biggest positive so far in an up & down season has been the quality of our attacking set pieces, particularly corner kicks. That tho' is down to one player and thus it wasn't the least bit surprising that the quality dropped off for much of the match yesterday. 

As for any goals scored from corners, statistics will surely vary dependent on what level the game is played at. The higher up the leagues you go the lower the ratio. There'll be some players in all leagues capable of excellent delivery but the standard of defending will increase as you go up the divisions.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

As for any goals scored from corners, statistics will surely vary dependent on what level the game is played at. The higher up the leagues you go the lower the ratio. There'll be some players in all leagues capable of excellent delivery but the standard of defending will increase as you go up the divisions.

Doesn't that also imply that there should be fewer goals scored overall the higher up the leagues you go?

9 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I've come into this "corner kick" thingy on here a bit late so maybe missing the rationale. Perhaps the biggest positive so far in an up & down season has been the quality of our attacking set pieces, particularly corner kicks. That tho' is down to one player and thus it wasn't the least bit surprising that the quality dropped off for much of the match yesterday. 

Cannot say that I analysed all 9 corners. However, the highlights show that from at least two of them, we managed a very decent shot on target (first half Tiffoney, second half Graham) that was blocked by a defender. On another day either or both might have gone in. Accordingly the delivery was still reasonable enough to provide realistic goal-scoring opportunities, so I do not think that we need to set up a formal enquiry.

22 hours ago, Fearchar said:

Think you're being harsh Fearchar.

We scored from 2 corners at Dunfermline and 2 more v Morton.

That comfortably exceeds what we managed from corners in the previous decade.

Much more important is that we now have two strikers that both manage to score with some regularity. That's real progress.

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

Cannot say that I analysed all 9 corners. However, the highlights show that from at least two of them, we managed a very decent shot on target (first half Tiffoney, second half Graham) that was blocked by a defender. On another day either or both might have gone in. Accordingly the delivery was still reasonable enough to provide realistic goal-scoring opportunities, so I do not think that we need to set up a formal enquiry.

Wasn’t Holts chance also from a corner ?