Thistle v Ayr Utd

elevenone

On 10/2/2021 at 7:17 PM, Fearchar said:

According to the stats collected for the BBC, we had 9 corners - yet none of them resulted in scoring. That's extraordinary, and surely needs to be looked at.

On 10/3/2021 at 1:14 AM, Duke Gekantawa said:

According to this, about 3% conversion is average over 10 years in the top leagues- way below 1 in 9 as you suggest we should expect as a minimum (though admittedly the top leagues don’t have McGinty in defence):  https://sqaf.club/goals-from-corners-stats/

And this analysis draws a very similar conclusion. Roughly 3%, or 1 in 30 corners lead to goals.

On 9/27/2021 at 4:14 PM, dl1971 said:

So if we beat Ayr next week you will say what? 

As promised - ****ing hell ! Ayr have a sh*t team !

Ayr were so bad it is hard to tell if we were good or not. Akinola and Mayo did look good, but they weren't really tested that much and there are still issues in midfield. Tiffany is a great player and a huge asset, but playing him does cause us a problem. Without a similar threat on the right, if the opposition can shut him down we don't have any plan B. Playing 2 up front and 2 wingers leaves Banzo and Doc exposed in midfield. I don't know what the answer is as Tiff has to start when fit, but clearly McCall doesn't have an answer either. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, McCall Out said:

Ayr were so bad it is hard to tell if we were good or not. Akinola and Mayo did look good, but they weren't really tested that much and there are still issues in midfield. Tiffany is a great player and a huge asset, but playing him does cause us a problem. Without a similar threat on the right, if the opposition can shut him down we don't have any plan B. Playing 2 up front and 2 wingers leaves Banzo and Doc exposed in midfield. I don't know what the answer is as Tiff has to start when fit, but clearly McCall doesn't have an answer either. 

A simple well done would have sufficed. It's kind of strange that for each of our 4 league wins some have chosen to say that the opposition have been poor, rather than we have been decent. Worth saying that bannigan and docherty bossed the midfield. Let's see what tactics we employ for the next 10 games and after 18 games we will pretty know where we stand. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, McCall Out said:

Agree with all that. Tiffoney of course has to start but likewise both Graham and Rudden made strong cases as well. I think I could also put up a decent argument to start Turner (in a central role).  Normally I'd say this is a good problem but I too realise that we're exposed centrally in midfield. If Docherty was bigger and stronger, more difficult to brush off the ball, then I'd be far less concerned. 

We talk about the balance of the team not being right. That's very true and I agree there's too much dependence on Tiffoney. The shape of the side would be fine if Hastie comes good. Balanced with width and pace on both flanks. Unfortunately getting that balance right may well further exacerbate the centre mid weakness. Our attacking midfielders both wide and central are unsurprisingly lightweight. All good on the ball but offer very little defensively. Not a problem if we had a bit more dig in the less advanced midfield area.

2 hours ago, dl1971 said:

A simple well done would have sufficed. It's kind of strange that for each of our 4 league wins some have chosen to say that the opposition have been poor, rather than we have been decent. Worth saying that bannigan and docherty bossed the midfield. Let's see what tactics we employ for the next 10 games and after 18 games we will pretty know where we stand. 

So. You body swerved any of McCalls Out points??

53 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

So. You body swerved any of McCalls Out points??

Why should I listen to the ramblings of a poster who is utterly negative and in fact vindictive in the extreme? Perhaps he needs to attend your humility masterclass then I might give his view some attention. 

Edited by dl1971
Typo

3 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Worth saying that bannigan and docherty bossed the midfield. 

Sorry for the selective quoting but I'm not trying to justify McCall Out's agenda.

Yes they bossed midfield but Ayr played with 3 at the back and a not too convincing Aero Muirhead as holding mid. Will they still boss the midfield against say a hardly unusual 4-5-1 set up, especially if we continue with two up top?

I think we have to bolster the midfield to protect Banzo/Doc against the likes of ICT and Killie. Otherwise we won't get enough supply to Tiffoney etc. 

5 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Sorry for the selective quoting but I'm not trying to justify McCall Out's agenda.

Yes they bossed midfield but Ayr played with 3 at the back and a not too convincing Aero Muirhead as holding mid. Will they still boss the midfield against say a hardly unusual 4-5-1 set up, especially if we continue with two up top?

I think we have to bolster the midfield to protect Banzo/Doc against the likes of ICT and Killie. Otherwise we won't get enough supply to Tiffoney etc. 

Not a problem. Generally I agree that bannigan and docherty are too similar and as a result we can look ponderous. That didn't happen on Saturday so it worked. Against the so called better teams it hasn't so to me it's fairly obvious we have to play one of front. Which will then mean some will say we are too defensive! Oh to be a manager lol

Edited by dl1971
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Vindictive? Oh my! That's utterly hilarious. 

So mccall out and his continous output to remove the manager no matter what, is not vindictive? Look up the meaning dear boy and while your at it research the meaning of humility. Chop chop

23 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

So mccall out and his continous output to remove the manager no matter what, is not vindictive? Look up the meaning dear boy and while your at it research the meaning of humility. Chop chop

You really are an arrogant condescending person, who quite frankly offers no actual opinion to any points put forward by anyone. It's all about opinions,  but you don't like people having a view. 

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

You really are an arrogant condescending person, who quite frankly offers no actual opinion to any points put forward by anyone. It's all about opinions,  but you don't like people having a view. 

You are absolutely entitled to your view, no matter how trite and reactionary. You leave yourself open to responses that alas you do not like. What follows is toys out the pram.  So it's kind of the situation that your hoisted by your own petard. That's not arrogance, just fact. Even after a great result at the weekend you manage to try and negate an uplifting result....to most. Thankfully most on here know when to have a reasoned debate on here versus ill informed subjectivity.  I look forward to your next post on football tactics, formations, performance metrics or managerial strategy. You do that and ill respond. Chuck McCall in the canal etc etc doesn't really merit a response I'm afraid. 

22 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

You are absolutely entitled to your view, no matter how trite and reactionary. You leave yourself open to responses that alas you do not like. What follows is toys out the pram.  So it's kind of the situation that your hoisted by your own petard. That's not arrogance, just fact. Even after a great result at the weekend you manage to try and negate an uplifting result....to most. Thankfully most on here know when to have a reasoned debate on here versus ill informed subjectivity.  I look forward to your next post on football tactics, formations, performance metrics or managerial strategy. You do that and ill respond. Chuck McCall in the canal etc etc doesn't really merit a response I'm afraid. 

Where have I negated the win over Ayr? Look at my comments during and after the game. Yet again your blind arrogance shines through.

42 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Where have I negated the win over Ayr? Look at my comments during and after the game. Yet again your blind arrogance shines through.

My apologies for missing your glowing accolades,  along with your alter ego McCall Out's one stop agenda. You are indeed fan of the week. Keep it up and you might just make fan of the month lmao. I continue to look forward to your insightful perspective whether we win ( easy ), draw ( nervous twitch ) or lose ( full on rage ). I'll be watching....

11 hours ago, McCall Out said:

An excellent post but I’m not sure if I agree with the last sentence.

This is where a good manager rises above the dross, and we have had plenty dross over the years. Give McCall some credit and time to sort the problem areas you mention. I believe he can take us to the playoffs which would be progress.

Remember we also have a window during which we could possibly sign a midfield ‘gaffer’.

6 hours ago, dl1971 said:

My apologies for missing your glowing accolades,  along with your alter ego McCall Out's one stop agenda. You are indeed fan of the week. Keep it up and you might just make fan of the month lmao. I continue to look forward to your insightful perspective whether we win ( easy ), draw ( nervous twitch ) or lose ( full on rage ). I'll be watching....

Ah! The deflection tactic. Keep it up. You are doing a sterling job.

14 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Why should I listen to the ramblings of a poster who is utterly negative and in fact vindictive in the extreme? Perhaps he needs to attend your humility masterclass then I might give his view some attention. 

Interesting post.

For someone who doesn't want to listen, you do appear somewhat obsessed with responding to every post. It is also interesting that you rarely have anything positive to say. Many on here have already commented on how bad Ayr were, yet you chose mine to respond to, negatively. Can you remind me of that definition of vindictive ?

17 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agree with all that. Tiffoney of course has to start but likewise both Graham and Rudden made strong cases as well. I think I could also put up a decent argument to start Turner (in a central role).  Normally I'd say this is a good problem but I too realise that we're exposed centrally in midfield. If Docherty was bigger and stronger, more difficult to brush off the ball, then I'd be far less concerned. 

We talk about the balance of the team not being right. That's very true and I agree there's too much dependence on Tiffoney. The shape of the side would be fine if Hastie comes good. Balanced with width and pace on both flanks. Unfortunately getting that balance right may well further exacerbate the centre mid weakness. Our attacking midfielders both wide and central are unsurprisingly lightweight. All good on the ball but offer very little defensively. Not a problem if we had a bit more dig in the less advanced midfield area.

It is a conundrum. I wonder if we need to somehow embrace the imbalance. Playing a second winger may just expose Banzo and Doc in midfield. So far they have looked weak against the better sides so there is a risk in taking that route and playing both Rudden and Graham. If we bring in the midfield gaffer ( @Weebaw1 ) then who gets dropped without taking away some of the attacking threat and we would still have 90% of our attacking options going through Tiff. I do think we have the players (note to @dl1971 I have previously acknowledged that McCall has been a good scout) so what we need is an alternative tactic as opposed to looking to get the ball to Tiff every time. That doesn't need to be down the right, it could be down the centre. Having a second threat would also take the pressure away from Tiff. Currently if plan A isn't working, the alternative is hoof-ball.

4 hours ago, McCall Out said:

It is a conundrum. I wonder if we need to somehow embrace the imbalance. Playing a second winger may just expose Banzo and Doc in midfield. So far they have looked weak against the better sides so there is a risk in taking that route and playing both Rudden and Graham. If we bring in the midfield gaffer ( @Weebaw1 ) then who gets dropped without taking away some of the attacking threat and we would still have 90% of our attacking options going through Tiff. I do think we have the players (note to @dl1971 I have previously acknowledged that McCall has been a good scout) so what we need is an alternative tactic as opposed to looking to get the ball to Tiff every time. That doesn't need to be down the right, it could be down the centre. Having a second threat would also take the pressure away from Tiff. Currently if plan A isn't working, the alternative is hoof-ball.

Agree.

6 hours ago, McCall Out said:

A reasonable post. I'm happy. We move on. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 7:20 PM, Jagtastic said:

That's not really what Flycatcher said though, and I'd agree with him.

Adeloye was busy and a bit of a handful, but they had absolutely nothing coming from midfield to support or create for him. It was just high balls for him to deal with, which he did quite well at times it has to be said.

So saying they had nothing to offer in midfield going forward is quite right for me.

Thank you for clarifying that...