Is this a record?

a f kincaid

Shocking refereeing. It wasnt like he went flying in at 100mph. It was a genuine attempt to win a 50/50 ball. Looks like Beaton the ref so that almost explains the decision. Lucky if its even a yellow at that stage in the game. Seriously though, where is the game going if you cant tackle. Basically every slide tackle is being punished now whether you win the ball or not. With heading the ball soon to be banned as well, VAR to be introduced, the baw is burst

Edited by MonehJags

Speaking to an Alloa fan after the game who was close to this and he thought it was harsh. One thing for certain is both he had and video has a better view than the ref, who's a fair distance from the incident. Even if the ref has got the decision right it'll be more to do with luck and/or being influenced by histrionics from the opposition.

Btw Sena had been Alloa's best player for the previous three games. He's still been playing in his preferred role in central midfield but is getting forward more often and working hard on his distribution. One benefit of being at Alloa may be rather ironically having ex midfielder Barry Ferguson as a manager.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I was big fan of Sena and personally I think he looked a better prospect at centrehalf than midfield. To me he wasn't good enough to hold down a starting point because his decision making wasn't good enough mainly when in possession but a lot of times he was too keen to tackle rather than just accept the ball wasn't there to be won and the best course of action was just to get close and stay on his feet. The type of tackle that got him send of in Saturday is where his decision making needs to improve.

The guy he is tackling is going nowhere, he's no threat to the Alloa goal and even if Sena wins the tackle he's so close to the touchline the best he can do is put it out for a Cove shy. The Cove player he tackled was Shay Logan the Cove rightback its not the player Sena should be picking up. It had the look of tackle that where the coaching staff have told the Alloa players to put one on Logan early 'so he knows he's in a game'.

Its debatable if the tackle is a yellow or a red. I can see why the ref thinks red as he goes over the ball and catches the Cove player on the ankle. However I think the ref would have also been ifluenced by how close Sena was to making contacting outside the touchline and decided red because it just looked so out of control.

I would hope that Ferguson as an ex-central midfielder spoke to him and explained what he did wrong and could coach that poor decision making out of his game but I have ny doubts.

It doesn't matter what time of a match an offence which warrants a card occurs, a card get is shown, even if it's the first or last second of the match, it doesn't matter.

In this situation Senna's studs were up and both feet were off the ground at the time of impact so at that point the challenge becomes uncontrolled.  Both of these would be taken into consideration when the contact happened.  It looked like the contact was on the boot, which would have been a yellow card had the tackle been controlled with one foot still on the ground. The deciding factor for the straight red is both feet being off the ground at the time of impact.

34 minutes ago, Exiled AusJag said:

It doesn't matter what time of a match an offence which warrants a card occurs, a card get is shown, even if it's the first or last second of the match, it doesn't matter.

In this situation Senna's studs were up and both feet were off the ground at the time of impact so at that point the challenge becomes uncontrolled.  Both of these would be taken into consideration when the contact happened.  It looked like the contact was on the boot, which would have been a yellow card had the tackle been controlled with one foot still on the ground. The deciding factor for the straight red is both feet being off the ground at the time of impact.

In terms of time it occurs, if its a horrendous tackle or serious foul play then obviously its a red card. This was neither a excessive or dangerous tackle. He goes in with the one foot and makes contact at ground level. Again, it doesn't matter to me if its in the middle of the park or on the touchline, if there is a 50/50 ball to be won, I'd expect my player to be going for it.  What if Logan was unchallenged and plays the ball over the top for the striker to score, everyone would be wondering why he had so much time to pick his pass. In terms of studs up, what direction should they be facing? 

1 hour ago, MonehJags said:

In terms of time it occurs, if its a horrendous tackle or serious foul play then obviously its a red card. I agreeThis was neither a excessive or dangerous tackle. He goes in with the one foot and makes contact at ground level. The tackle was uncontrolled as BOTH feet were off the ground just before the point of impact. Contact was just above ground level coming down on his opponent's foot with one foot. The contacting foot was pulled back to show his studs, with the full force of his studs making contact with his opponent. Both of these actions combine to be interpreted as endangering the safety of an opponent.  Again, it doesn't matter to me if its in the middle of the park or on the touchline, if there is a 50/50 ball to be won, I'd expect my player to be going for it.  Again, I agree, however nowadays, more than ever, players have to accept the consequences of their actions What if Logan was unchallenged and plays the ball over the top for the striker to score, everyone would be wondering why he had so much time to pick his pass. That's of no concern to the refereeIn terms of studs up, what direction should they be facing?  They shouldn't be showing towards his opponent.

I appreciate your reply and I can understand why you've made these comments, but as far as making a decision's concerned a referee doesn't take into account the amount of time played.  Also the laws and the directives in the laws have evolved over the past few years, and what would have been acceptable not so long ago aren't acceptable now. I hope you accept my explanations as these are based on the latest laws and directives. 

Once both feet were off the ground, the tackle became uncontrolled and with the way contact's made is considered to be endangering the safety of an opponent, and must be sanctioned as serious foul play, which is a red card .  If Senna had slid along the ground with his studs up as they were then the card would have been yellow with contact in the same place, as there would then have been as aspect of control in the challenge.  Had the tackle been controlled with the studs down, then only a DFK would have been awarded. If the tackle had been controlled with the studs up, then contact below the ankle would have been a yellow card, and above could have been a red card, depending on the speed and/or the intensity of the challenge. In this instance it was both studs up towards his opponent combined with the challenge being uncontrolled, and this endangered the safety of his opponent, so the referee had no option than to show the red card.