PTFC Women

Jaggernaut

1 hour ago, ChiThistle said:

Was surprised to read they are self-funded.  They have an auction going for another few days with some really cool stuff on offer.  Will be throwing out a few bids to support a worthy group of players (and, yeah, for the cool stuff)

https://www.32auctions.com/organizations/95642/auctions/121065?r=1&t=all

The diamond earrings and Jimmy Choo silk scarf would just look devine on me!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

I have enjoyed watching the women’s game on BBC Alba and the Scotland channel continuously over the last few years and it has been especially good to see a Thistle side represented this year in the top tier. The female Jags have improved as the season has progressed so they and the managers deserve great credit for that. The win over Hibs was very praiseworthy, and to get to the semi versus Celtic is a fine achievement. Hopefully, we’ll move to a stage in the women’s game in Scotland, where that league will become more genuinely competitive with the huge scorelines a thing of the past, eventually. But, looking at it realistically, it would seem Glasgow City’s  period of complete league dominance is about to end, with perhaps a new one beginning, with Rangers and Celtic, who are both full time. (Hope I’m wrong in that conclusion, of course) Good luck to our female team v Celtic in the WSC semi final!

It's actually Glasgow City in the semi-final on Sunday. Celtic play Hearts in the other semi. 

We'll clearly be the underdogs on Sunday but we've been competitive with each of the 'big three' at one stage or other this season. If we can take the intensity and belief that we displayed in the quarter-final against Hibs into this game, well you just never know. We didn't go into SWPL1 just to make up the numbers and we're not going to the Falkirk Stadium on Sunday to make up the numbers either. 

• Administrators

It's now less than 24 hours until Partick Thistle WFC attempt to become the first Partick Thistle side to contest a Scottish Cup Final in 92 years. 

If you are swithering of going tomorrow take a watch at this, narrated by former PTWFC player Eilidh Barbour, and swither no more. 

Kick off at the Falkirk Stadium is 4:30pm and it's just a fiver to get in. 

You can purchase tickets through the link below. It's unreserved seating but we're suggesting that Thistle fans congregate behind the Thistle dugout. 

https://falkirkfc.tickethour.co.uk/seatingPlan.html?idProduct=1680

When I was a kid, nobody in the family was interested in football so I went by myself to watch the local team, Tiptree United. As a teenager I would get the bus to Colchester to see my big team. The world of football had a new citizen.

Women's football in Scotland is a developing branch of football. The fanbase is growing. It's a great entry level for young fans who may not want to go to a 'big' match yet, much like in my Tiptree days. Why are these fans not being considered? No way they can walk up to the game today or get a bus or train.

Kids are much more switched on than you or I. They see clearly that holding a football match at a stadium only accessible by private car is bad for the planet. It must be so confusing for them. They spend all week at school learning, discussing and writing about climate change. Then they step through the school gates into the 'grown up' world of don't care. 

The SFA should behave more responsibly. These people are important. If we engage with them now they are the fans of the future.

Mon The Jags

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, sandy said:

You make a very valid point @BowenBoys. Climate change is real but I wonder how many clubs actually discuss or promote sustainability. Forest Green Rovers are the only ones I’m aware of.

I saw a programme where Northampton RFC reduced their energy use by 50% by installing new lightweight solar panels on the roof of their stands.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I saw a programme where Northampton RFC reduced their energy use by 50% by installing new lightweight solar panels on the roof of their stands.

I've been going on about whether this couldn't be done at Firhill for years.

37 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

PS: I reckon to have checked the schedules of BBC one and two Scotland, BBC Scotland channel and BBC Alba and the Glasgow City v Thistle semi doesn’t seem to be live on any of them! An English Women’s Premier League game IS being shown!!!!!

I cannot find any mention of the game at all, anywhere on the BBC Sport website. Even in the Scottish football pages, there is nothing.

1 minute ago, jagsman411971 said:

I cannot find any mention of the game at all, anywhere on the BBC Sport website. Even in the Scottish football pages, there is nothing.

But the BBC can list the Scottish Women's Premier league fixtures. Go figure. 

11 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

When I was a kid, nobody in the family was interested in football so I went by myself to watch the local team, Tiptree United. As a teenager I would get the bus to Colchester to see my big team. The world of football had a new citizen.

Women's football in Scotland is a developing branch of football. The fanbase is growing. It's a great entry level for young fans who may not want to go to a 'big' match yet, much like in my Tiptree days. Why are these fans not being considered? No way they can walk up to the game today or get a bus or train.

Kids are much more switched on than you or I. They see clearly that holding a football match at a stadium only accessible by private car is bad for the planet. It must be so confusing for them. They spend all week at school learning, discussing and writing about climate change. Then they step through the school gates into the 'grown up' world of don't care. 

The SFA should behave more responsibly. These people are important. If we engage with them now they are the fans of the future.

Mon The Jags

Leaving aside the green slant, To promote the woman’s game, they’ve played it at one of the most inaccessible stadiums for public transport in the central belt. 
The club missed a big PR trick by laying on half a dozen free buses to this as well. 

I went to FK Viking Vs Haugasand game on Saturday over here in Stavanger.

Lovely modern stadium, clean well maintained and clean, tents set up outside for beer and entertainment (including for kids) directly on a train station, multiple bus routes, and (as it’s Norway) boats coming in to quayside from smaller islands. 
Top league game, Adult tickets 350kr (£29) to 230kr (£19) with all kids tickets 50kr (£4), food inside is reasonably priced with pizza slices, hotdogs etc. 10500 attended.

Was night and day from the “experience” at Firhill, incredibly professional, fun, involved (without being too American forced), plus home team won 5-1 which helped. There was also hot water in the toilets something we have yet to achieve.

The woman’s team also use the stadium (as its top level astroturf) and whether it’s the mens Elite League team or the Woman’s team, the club run the set up the same (just scaled back for woman’s teams lower attendance of 1 or 2 thousand). 

Its good to see the woman’s game coming up in Scotland but it’s decades behind Norway in set up, support, sponsorship, exposure, as is the youth set up. 

3 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

Final Score: Glasgow City 3 v Partick Thistle 1.   (HT: 2-1)

The Thistle women gave a good account of themselves and can hold  their heads high after a battling performance against the current league champions. City went into an early lead but were pegged back very quickly after a good Thistle header, beat the Scottish international keeper, Alexander. A second for City made the score 2-1 going into the second half. After the interval Thistle continued to put every effort into trying to level the scores and it stayed at that same scoreline until near the end when Woman Of The Match, Chinchilla, clinched the third for City and they held that 3-1 lead to the end. City displayed some silky skills and good passing and in Chinchilla they had a very dangerous player, but Thistle never gave up and their midfield players literally got stuck into every tackle, coming out with the ball more often, than might have been expected. Anyone, thinking that women’s football might be more genteel than the men’s game would have been disabused of that idea after seeing  some of these tackles! In fact there were quite a few bookings with more than  one or two players squaring up to one another after some tough challenges! Thistle did manage to pick out players up front  on both wings quite well. But, overall the City approach was a bit more free-flowing and whilst the Thistle midfield  managed to distribute the ball thoughtfully at times, theJags’ strikers found it difficult to get the better of a strong City central defence . City ‘looked’ the more composed, unhurried side overall and because of their experience and success, that is unsurprising. Nevertheless, Thistle never let down all the fans there to support them and will gain from this experience. They were not outclassed or disgraced and will want to progress on from this to getting closer to a first trophy, some time, in the future. Well done, girls, good luck for next season.

Very balanced, informative and encouraging report. Many thanks. I have to confess that I was expecting a heavier defeat, and it is good to know that the inevitable gulf in ability and experience is not as wide and unbridgeable as I might have feared.

• Administrators

It wasn't to be for us today. We've gone from being flung in at the deep end that is SWPL1 at the last minute, after the season had started incidentally, to going toe to toe against full-time professional Glasgow City in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup in the course of the season. That is a massive achievement. There were contrasting emotions at full-time. Disappointment obviously at losing but also immense pride in our players' efforts. They are a fantastically dedicated group. 

Of the four teams competing in the semi-finals we've been told that we had the biggest support. I think it would have been in region of several hundred I reckon. Seeing pictures on social media of young supporters posing with the players after the game was just great to see. 

We're growing as a Club. Our elevation meant that focus had to be primarily on preparing the team on the pitch for the challenge ahead. Off the pitch it has been a real education and positive learning experience. What we need to do is identify where we believe our core support lies and develop that. All this takes time. In 8 years the club has gone from playing in public parks at the lowest rung of the women's game to the top flight. We've received a lot of praise from our peers this season but of course we've got a bit to go yet. 

The game in Scotland is still growing and developing and unquestionably making mistakes along the way. I'd focus less though on being decades behind other nations and instead focus on the progress that has been made since the 1970s. Then Scotland were the only nation to vote against UEFA's wish that each national association should take control of the women's game in that nation. Scottish football, scottish society as a whole, is still significantly misogynist in nature but that is changing, but we're still in the early stages of the journey. 

Was a thoroughly enjoyable game, only spoiled by the ref and his assistant on the stand side with some of their bizarre decisions. Ever time a city player fell over they seemed to get a free kick and a yellow card for us, now some yellows were merited with some crunching tackles going in but there was a fair few that must have been for dissent, understandable given many of the decisions going against them.

Considering the season and past city have have, it was difficult to tell the difference between the two at times, the way city played, and the players they have reminded me in some ways of livi when the men's team played them in the play offs a few seasons back. All about height, strength and trying to exert physical dominance. The thistle team weren't having any of it, and for spells controlled the game well and when not in control worked hard as a team with a good way of playing and an obvious game plan. The plan nearly worked, a couple of set pieces for the first two goals seem to be a bit of an Achilles heel, and then caught on the break for the third. Some real skill and grit from the thistle players, that showed a real team spirit and willingness to cover for each other, a well drilled and set up team imho.

Only other comment I had was about the pitch, not sure if it needed watered but there were quite a few times when players got the ball stuck under their feet as it wasn't moving as fast as they expected it to.

• Like 2