Hamilton v Jags

elevenone

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I thought that was disgraceful. If my manager said something like that about me I would be straight on to HR with a complaint. It wasn’t even said with any humour.

I hope he apologised to them afterwards, but I wouldn’t bank on it.

Was he wrong about them ?

McCall's comments were made in jest, I think, but that doesn't detract from the inappropriate way of talking about employees. Probably only becomes an issue if one of them complained but someone at the club maybe needs a quiet word with him. Football might think it's different but it's just another business subject to same rules as the rest of us. Just Employment Law is a sponsor - maybe we should ask their thoughts on the comments. 

36 minutes ago, Arete said:

McCall's comments were made in jest, I think, but that doesn't detract from the inappropriate way of talking about employees. Probably only becomes an issue if one of them complained but someone at the club maybe needs a quiet word with him. Football might think it's different but it's just another business subject to same rules as the rest of us. Just Employment Law is a sponsor - maybe we should ask their thoughts on the comments. 

Ffs get a grip …..it was a laugh as the tweet from tiffoney shows….some people are giving political correctness a bad name 

24 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Ffs get a grip …..it was a laugh as the tweet from tiffoney shows….some people are giving political correctness a bad name 

You're missing the point. JEL put money into the club and we shouldn't be embarrassing sponsors. McCall should keep his 'banter' out of public interviews. He's a senior employee. And the club shouldn't put players up for interviews if they think the players aren't up to that. We might not like it but the club operates in 2021 not the 1970s. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Arete said:

You're missing the point. JEL put money into the club and we shouldn't be embarrassing sponsors. McCall should keep his 'banter' out of public interviews. He's a senior employee. And the club shouldn't put players up for interviews if they think the players aren't up to that. We might not like it but the club operates in 2021 not the 1970s. 

I’m not missing any point ….I watched it live …..tiffoney and rudden  were let’s say in need of eh media training …..it was funny and I for one took no offense but of course the offense police are out with their buckets of cold water …..for me it passed the billy Connolly test 

do you work in the public sector ? 

• Like 2

I think if IMcC had made a remark about them never putting Richard Foster's media career in jeapordy it would have been just as funny without referring to a characteristic that no-one has control over. We can educate ourselves but intellectual capacity is something we are born with.

On the subject of RF in the media. I wonder if we would have been as much the talk of the airwaves if he wasn't a regular on BBC sports programs. I haven't listened or watched other outlets so can't compare coverages.

24 minutes ago, scotty said:

I think if IMcC had made a remark about them never putting Richard Foster's media career in jeapordy it would have been just as funny without referring to a characteristic that no-one has control over. We can educate ourselves but intellectual capacity is something we are born with.

On the subject of RF in the media. I wonder if we would have been as much the talk of the airwaves if he wasn't a regular on BBC sports programs. I haven't listened or watched other outlets so can't compare coverages.

Current academic research indicates about 50%  of intelligence is due to genetic factors …unless your suggesting it’s 100% for our lads ? 

That was all a bit depressing.

Einstein said “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”  

Edited October 8 by Dick Dastardly

So was it Ian McCall or the players you believe are insane? Now I know you are not their employer but is it only wrong to suggest something has a mental health issue if they work for you? I am all for people treating and being treated correctly but good old common sense must still have a part to play (I hope).

Top 4 at the end of the first quarter (just). Not bad considering we’ve been missing Brownlie and Bell in an inexperienced central defence. If we’re still there come January and can add a bit of experience and a steadying influence plus maybe a defensive midfielder then who knows..

Kilmarnock are favourites but so were Falkirk last season. Converting a couple of defeats into a win and a draw in the coming quarters would guarantee a play off spot.. or better. 

Dunfermline took a point off Killie today so although we cuffed them first time might be tougher next week. I’ll be approaching the game with the same reserved caution I did last night :hypocrite:

We all know the stories of managers throwing cups in dressing rooms, hairdryer treatment etc. Rightly or wrongly behaviour that would not be accepted in other workplaces is acceptable at football clubs. I hope if McCall reflects on what he said he will have a word with the players if he feels that it is required.

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

I’m not missing any point ….I watched it live …..tiffoney and rudden  were let’s say in need of eh media training …..it was funny and I for one took no offense but of course the offense police are out with their buckets of cold water …..for me it passed the billy Connolly test 

do you work in the public sector ? 

Ha, I have worked in the public sector - how did you know.....? I think it was a witty quip in the way that Bernard Manning and Benny Hill used to be seen as funny. Maybe not now. I'm glad if the guys have taken it in the way intended. But just think the manager needs to remember he's a senior representative of the club and I'd like our club to be professional at all times. 

• Like 2

Several people on this thread shouldn't bother turning up at Firhill again given their low threshold for interpreting humour.

Seriously, trying to get past night's comments cited under HR guidelines?

Get a grip folks - real life isn't play station thankfully, and it's all the better for it.

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arete said:

Ha, I have worked in the public sector - how did you know.....? I think it was a witty quip in the way that Bernard Manning and Benny Hill used to be seen as funny. Maybe not now. I'm glad if the guys have taken it in the way intended. But just think the manager needs to remember he's a senior representative of the club and I'd like our club to be professional at all times. 

Really ? I thought it was funny in the context of a dreadful interview they gave …. I can see why billy Connolly thinks  some people would have him cancelled now 

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

We all know the stories of managers throwing cups in dressing rooms, hairdryer treatment etc. Rightly or wrongly behaviour that would not be accepted in other workplaces is acceptable at football clubs. I hope if McCall reflects on what he said he will have a word with the players if he feels that it is required.

This. (No more likes.)

12 hours ago, Arete said:

Lumping Benny Hill in with Bernard Manning, really?

Thousands of people across the planet still find Benny Hill funny, judging by his Youtube hits and comments.