Scottish Cup

Auld Jag

Just thinking about this tie.

In the Cup Dunfermline seem to be a bit of a bodgy for us. I can only recall one cup  victory and I think the score was 2-1!

In the games I recall, the Alex Edwards and Alex Ferguson eras we were either well beaten (and outplayed or just never got a break). They seemed to knock us out of the cup every year in the 1960s.

I recall one game at East End Park when we absolutely battered them for 90 minutes but couldn't beat their goalkeeper (Bent Martin) and went on to lose the game 1-0 due to a mistake by our left back, George Muir. In fact I don't recall Muir playing many more games for us after that cup tie.

Can anyone recall any other cup wins against Dunfermline?

47 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Just thinking about this tie.

In the Cup Dunfermline seem to be a bit of a bodgy for us. I can only recall one cup  victory and I think the score was 2-1!

In the games I recall, the Alex Edwards and Alex Ferguson eras we were either well beaten (and outplayed or just never got a break). They seemed to knock us out of the cup every year in the 1960s.

I recall one game at East End Park when we absolutely battered them for 90 minutes but couldn't beat their goalkeeper (Bent Martin) and went on to lose the game 1-0 due to a mistake by our left back, George Muir. In fact I don't recall Muir playing many more games for us after that cup tie.

Can anyone recall any other cup wins against Dunfermline?

Possibly the 2-1 you're referencing, but I remember about 10 years ago or so, we beat them after trailing 1-0 at half time. Incredibly the turnaround (in terms of both performance and score) was prompted by the introduction of Paul Keegan (in probably his only decent 45 minutes for us, and he really was very good in this game) and the Aussie winger Murray (I think his name was). Buchanan got both of our goals.

ETA: Just found the report: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_cups/7200523.stm

Keegan and Murray only introduced on 60 mins, so Keegan's only decent 30 mins for us!

Edited by Duke Gekantawa

On 11/16/2021 at 11:42 AM, Duke Gekantawa said:

Possibly the 2-1 you're referencing, but I remember about 10 years ago or so, we beat them after trailing 1-0 at half time. Incredibly the turnaround (in terms of both performance and score) was prompted by the introduction of Paul Keegan (in probably his only decent 45 minutes for us, and he really was very good in this game) and the Aussie winger Murray (I think his name was). Buchanan got both of our goals.

ETA: Just found the report: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_cups/7200523.stm

Keegan and Murray only introduced on 60 mins, so Keegan's only decent 30 mins for us!

Not absolutely certain but I think it's the same game - played in 2008.  Time flies, eh!