PTFC V ICT

thebiglemon

13 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Brannigan and Doherty must be the least attack minded midfield duo in the league. Painful to watch them trying to get anything going. 

Yep amount of times Docherty has his arm pointed out back the way or sideways directing play is becoming disheartening to watch.

Again special mention to Arbroath who come from 2 down v Dunfermline to scud em 4-2.  I fear any team taking a lead against us at the moment as I don’t think we possess the inventiveness to come back.  Still onto high flying Killie we go.

All in all I think we are doing fine. Unbeaten in 5 i the league, a gap between us and the bottom half, in contention for a promotion play-off. If we acheive that I think it would be a very satisfactory season. As a football team we are far away from where we were 2 years ago - in a good way.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Albert's Ghost said:

Hard to be cheerful tonight.  We were abysmal - and used a season's worth of luck to stay level.  When Tiff doesn't play, or get to play,  we have nothing.

Tifffoney was very poor today ….tried to do to much , gave the ball away and his crossing was inept 

Pretty clear we are too reliant on tiifoney. He was poor but so was the entire team bar the back 4 and of course sneddon. Our subs hastie, Gordon and Murray also had zero impact. All in all the play offs is the best we will do. Which means we will now beat Killie next week! 

How we got a point out of that I’ll never know! That could easily have been a 5 or 6 goal defeat. We were woeful throughout with the same  old punt up the park to Graham & Rudden who won little or nothing all day. Midfield totally devoid of ideas with Tiffoney & Smith marked out of the game and when they did get free the quality of their crosses was abysmal. We couldn’t  string 2 passes together & didn’t have a single shot at goal in the second half. We need a creative midfielder & more options up front come the January window.  

7 minutes ago, SteppsJag said:

How we got a point out of that I’ll never know! That could easily have been a 5 or 6 goal defeat. We were woeful throughout with the same  old punt up the park to Graham & Rudden who won little or nothing all day. Midfield totally devoid of ideas with Tiffoney & Smith marked out of the game and when they did get free the quality of their crosses was abysmal. We couldn’t  string 2 passes together & didn’t have a single shot at goal in the second half. We need a creative midfielder & more options up front come the January window.  

Even if we get the players you say we need, will McCall actually make the into a winning side?

Not often i feel if we  were lucky not to to lose, but that is how i feel tonight. Graham did nothing, although he did seem to get fouled a few times that was not given. Rudden tried, but nothing came off. Against Hamilton everybody was on their game, today hardly any get pass marks. Last but not least, i have been critical in the past about Sneddon, but he deserves to be number 1. His general play is now a lot more confident and of course his penalty save earned us a point today.

44 minutes ago, SteppsJag said:

Agree with every point you make here. I actually really enjoyed watching Inverness in the first half today. They were mobile, skillful, intelligent and playing as a complete team. We were like wee boys against them in the first 45.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SteppsJag said:

We couldn’t  string 2 passes together

Was saying exactly that for the whole game. Our passing was utterly shambolic today and unfortunately it's not the first time they could be accused of that lately. It can be so annoying to see players do the hard bit so well and then make a total arse  of a five yard pass :censor:

I had to do a grand tour of the city to get to Firhill from the South Side and missed the first few minutes...I wouldn't have been disappointed to have missed the entire game...apart from Graham just failing to reach a Tiffoney cross we didn't looked remotely like scoring. Inverness were purposeful rather than incisive but we have a fine penalty save, some good defending and the woodwork to thank for a point.

It was a dull game - like last week, we failed to get the ball down and make passes - it's a bad sign when the crowd starts counting the number of successive aimless headers. There have been obvious flaws in the team - full backs who are solid enough defensively but offer little attacking threat,  a lack of physical presence in midfield (height, strength & pace) and an over-reliance on Tiffoney to open up defences. However, we were a team that looked like we could score goals - not any more.

Rudden needs to work on his balance and strength if he is to develop into a top-class player...Graham is quite effective at this level but he is not particularly good at winning headers or shielding the ball. Other than Turner, I have no expectation that any of the squad players might improve the side - Smith has done little, Gordon anonymous, Murray peripheral, Hastie a big disappointment, McIver not thought worthy of being given a chance...and what was the point of signing Hendrie?

We should still be good enough to get a play-off place...it's the minimum standard I expect from a Thistle side and the quality of the teams in this League this season is poor...but we don't look like a team that is going anywhere.  

Tiffoney getting all this stick? Why?

The only one doing/trying anything and with zero support. Rudden was an absolute joke today. Graham invisible. 

Mayo my MOTM.  Got in a lot of vital blocks etc

Actually enjoyed ICT without the pain of actually losing. Decent team: first to everything and quick on the break.

I always try to be positive and I am fairly positive that was dreadful!

However that should not take away from an excellent performance by Sneddon who has responded brilliantly after his mistake against today's opposition earlier this season.

I think the best thing is to just take the point, forget about the game and move on.

6 minutes ago, thebiglemon said:

The only one doing/trying anything and with zero support. Rudden was an absolute joke today. Graham invisible. 

Actually enjoyed ICT without the pain of actually losing. Decent team: first to everything and quick on the break.

No Tiffoney is not getting stick. He is our one and only attacking threat. Manager is getting stick for making us so one dimensional.

Edited by Dick Dastardly
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, thebiglemon said:

Most of the players were poor today but tiffoney encapsulated all that was wrong … he is sometimes the talisman but today he should have been taken off long before he was

Caley are a better team than us. Looked bigger, stronger, quicker and more creative than us and l thought we done well to hold onto them without causing them any real trouble.  Pitch looked pretty sticky which doesn't help our game but that's more an observation than excuse.

I was a bit puzzled that, given the subs we made that long balls continued to be hit but this time at smaller forwards . I know folk don't seem to rate him but l think MacIver has always looked good in the air when he has played and l thought he might have been a better sub than Murray however given we were never going to score it's probably a moot point.

Be interested to see the penalty again,  their shot that bounced on the goal line and the goal we scored from Ruddens cross.

Edited by east end jag

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

Tifffoney was very poor today ….tried to do to much , gave the ball away and his crossing was inept 

Unfortunately he wasn’t the only one. I thought Holt had his poorest game for us today and Mayo looked ropey 1st half. We had a bit more of the ball 2nd half and apart from the penalty?, I don’t remember an ICT attempt on goal? Considering how poor we were, a point is a very good result. 

17 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Most of the players were poor today but tiffoney encapsulated all that was wrong … he is sometimes the talisman but today he should have been taken off long before he was

I actually thought he was starting to cause them some problems when he was taken off.