PTFC V ICT

thebiglemon

3 hours ago, ironfist said:

We should be driving hastie back to Ibrox and doing what we can to sign lawless.

I think the problem is two fold. First is that the squad, although improved from last season is not as strong as some of the others in the division. Second is that McCall now seems set on playing 442 and we dont have a player equivalent to tiffoney to balance it up on the other side. 

What do you think Lawless would bring to the team. Who would he replace in the starting line up. What we are lacking, I think, is some steel in the midfield and Lawless definitely doesn’t bring that.

2 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

What do you think Lawless would bring to the team. Who would he replace in the starting line up. What we are lacking, I think, is some steel in the midfield and Lawless definitely doesn’t bring that.

Maybe we do lack a bit of steel in midfield- in recent matches though the problem hasn’t been conceding goals. The team is unbalanced as smith or Turner are shoe horned into the midfield playing on the opposite side from tiffoney. They do not offer width. Our two fullbacks don’t offer much either. If tiffoney is off his game or teams double up on him and Graham has a poor game we don’t have much threat. Rudden will improve but he needs to be far more clinical. So to answer your question I think he’d bring width creativity and goals! 

7 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Lawless shouldn't be anywhere near this football club - even for training purposes.

Alexander punted him for a very good reason.

Long may he rot in the third row of the Govan stand.

I’m sorry to hear that. 
Also sad to think that people can’t make mistakes and be given a second chance 

Just now, ironfist said:

I’m sorry to hear that. 
Also sad to think that people can’t make mistakes and be given a second chance 

Lawless wasted his second chance with Thistle a few years ago.

His twitter feed is informative, both recently and back in 2015 when he was still our player.

The only sympathy I have for him is that circumstances forced Archie to play him at LWB in the relegation season due to Booth/Elliot/Nitriansky being injured or useless - that certainly was to the detriment of the team.

But no - his second chance left the bus stop years ago, and the Burton Albion and Motherwell experiences underline it.

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Stevie Lawless was the most valuable player outwith the Old Firm for Livingston 2 years ago with 11 goals and 9 assists, think Banzo has 6 assists in 10 years !

Apart from Tiff there is no creativity in the team and if he’s not playing well like yesterday we resort to long balls down the channels for Rudden and Graham to chase after .

Would take Stevie Lawless back in a heartbeat, better than anything we’ve got out there just now .

Edited by jlsarmy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Stevie Lawless was the most valuable player outwith the Old Firm for Livingston 2 years ago with 8 goals and 6 assists, think Banzo has 6 assists in 10 years !

Apart from Tiff there is no creativity in the team and if he’s not playing well like yesterday we resort to long balls down the channels for Rudden and Graham to chase after .

Would take Stevie Lawless back in a heartbeat, better than anything we’ve got out there just now .

Couldn’t agree more! 

8 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Go on the Steelmen's site for more info.

Wow , Stevie Lawless has suddenly became a Sevco supporter, I’m sure he was when he played for us before, as supporters we’re being totally hypocritical , Chic Charnley was unashamedly a Celtic fan and there were times he should have got slaughtered when he wasn’t playing by taking his son to watch Celtic rather than supporting his team-mates at PTFC.

Biggest thing Stevie Lawless did @ Motherwell was not keep his Twitter page private

You’ll not find many  PTFC supporters within the players we’ve got just now .

I’ll stand by what I said , Stevie Lawless is miles better than anything we’ve got just now .

23 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Wow , Stevie Lawless has suddenly became a Sevco supporter, I’m sure he was when he played for us before, as supporters we’re being totally hypocritical , Chic Charnley was unashamedly a Celtic fan and there were times he should have got slaughtered when he wasn’t playing by taking his son to watch Celtic rather than supporting his team-mates at PTFC.

Biggest thing Stevie Lawless did @ Motherwell was not keep his Twitter page private

I’ll stand by what I said , Stevie Lawless is miles better than anything we’ve got just now .

If as is being suggested, that Lawless is trouble in the dressing room, then it would only fracture the team and make us worse.

I couldn't care less what team lawless or any thistle player support. My issue would be that he may be on the wane, similar to what happened to doolan and Erskine. I believe he is a free agent so presumably lots of interest in him? If not maybe there are outside factors at play....

22 minutes ago, ironfist said:

Not sure that holds up as a reliable source! Also the notion that our players don’t or shouldn’t have supported one of the old firm is romantic nonsense. 

Where was that inferred?

15 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Agreed that did him no favours - however the major contributory factor to him being binned by Motherwell lay elsewhere. As alluded to by other posters, being released between windows renders a player unemployed. That's unusual in the industry.

Just now, Garscube Road End 2 said:

If as is being suggested, that Lawless is trouble in the dressing room, then it would only fracture the team and make us worse.

He’s not trouble in the dressing room , think the squad that got us promoted under Archie was the one of the most together squads we’ve ever had in terms of team spirit etc and Stevie Lawless was part of that .

4 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Where was that inferred?

Agreed that did him no favours - however the major contributory factor to him being binned by Motherwell lay elsewhere. As alluded to by other posters, being released between windows renders a player unemployed. That's unusual in the industry.

You don’t know what happened ? , it’s not that unusual in the football world , biggest thing was he wanted to play and that’s where the problem lay .

His Social media posts magnified the issue he had with the manager who questioned his commitment.

15 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

I couldn't care less what team lawless or any thistle player support. My issue would be that he may be on the wane, similar to what happened to doolan and Erskine. I believe he is a free agent so presumably lots of interest in him? If not maybe there are outside factors at play....

Lawless is only 30 , Dools and Erskine were 34/35

1 minute ago, jlsarmy said:

You don’t know what happened ? , it’s not that unusual in the football world , biggest thing was he wanted to play and that’s where the problem lay .

His Social media posts magnified the issue he had with the manager who questioned his commitment.

OK - we're not miles away from each other.

Following certain incidents, his continued presence at Fir Park was viewed as being toxic to team spirit and his dismissal/release was deemed to be in the best interests of all concerned by the Manager.

29 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

He’s not trouble in the dressing room , think the squad that got us promoted under Archie was the one of the most together squads we’ve ever had in terms of team spirit etc and Stevie Lawless was part of that .

Do you know that he wasn't trouble in the dressing room?

7 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Doolan and Erskine were both 32 when they were disposed of by the club in 2019.

Lawless is still only 30 , Michael Gardyne is still playing a similar position at 35

McCall thought Erskine was still good enough to be brought back last year at 34 

Age shouldn’t be an issue with Stevie Lawless