Rugby Park Predictions

Jaggernaut

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Killie will win. I suspect 2/3  to nil.

If the game was at Firhill I would have to agree. But for some strange reason, we seem to play better at Rugby Park and there have been some memorable wins. Barney has already quoted the 5-2. My favourite was probably the 2-1 victory with Aaron Taylor Sinclair heading the winner to launch our survival run in 2014. Honourable mention also for the 2-0 to secure safety a couple of seasons later with the (sadly all too temporary) fit and speedy version of Muzzy Dumbuya seeing off the  respective challenges of Josh Magennis and Kallum Higinbotham.

I will not dare an optimistic scoreline prediction, as that would be a definite jinx.

Part of me wonders if this might be the game to give Hastie his start and experiment a little.

Hastie has done little to impress so far but we also know that he is the only one in the squad who can provide proper balance to the team ahead of recruiting someone in January so we need to establish if can or can't start a game and provide that before then.

Most supporters expect Thistle to lose and at best get a point. After Saturday's game I think we can now see Kilmarnock and ICT are better teams so we are probably more looking at top 4 which means trying to hoover up points from the bottom half whilst beating Raith and Arbroath.

When you add that Graham looks like he is not moving freely and needing a rest perhaps Saturday could be viewed as a free hit.

All Tommy Wright teams look to play similar football i.e. keep it tight, make it physical so we probably need another body in central midfield which would hopefully also help imrpove our passing game and provide cover for our fullbacks to get higher up the park.

So from Saturday's starting eleven I would drop Graham and Smith and bring in Hastie and Turner to play a 4-5-1 in defence and 4-3-3 in attack.  Assuming Hastie works and the game is tight it would allow Smith to come on later in the game and move to a 4-4-1-1, if Hastie doesn't work he can be replaced by Murray.

Turner probably worth a start. As we're not creating much up front dropping an attacker should be no big deal and Kyle no worse. More to the point getting something from set plays could be the way to go.  One constant positive is the general quality of Turner's set pieces. When we're scoring freely he's less of an necessity but that ain't the case just now.

• Like 1