Ayr Utd Away

elevenone

On 11/15/2021 at 11:11 AM, Fearchar said:

I see it the other way: now that the defence seems to have been sorted out, with effective goal-scoring play, it seems to me we're likely to do well this season.

I agree with you and as I said - at the moment we are doing well. However had we taken full points at home against ICT and Dunfermline ( or at least 4 point) then with all other results being the same we would be challenging Kilmarnock at the top of the league.

If we have aspirations to win this league we will not do so by winning our away games and not winning our home games.

I think we have a good squad and as you point out with a good defence.  At times some of our attacking play is breathtaking. We just need to be a bit more consistent.

IMO the key is Turner. Our set plays are so much better with him in the team and he is very influential  when he wanders into the  midfield from his normal  wide position. McCall has got to find a position for Turner in central midfield even if its playing in an advanced role just behind the strikers.   But...........!

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 11:11 AM, Fearchar said:

I see it the other way: now that the defence seems to have been sorted out, with effective goal-scoring play, it seems to me we're likely to do well this season.

I agree with you and as I said - at the moment we are doing well. However had we taken full points at home against ICT and Dunfermline ( or at least 4 point) then with all other results being the same we would be challenging Kilmarnock at the top of the league.

If we have aspirations to win this league we will not do so by winning our away games and not winning our home games.

I think we have a good squad and as you point out with a good defence.  At times some of our attacking play is breathtaking. We just need to be a bit more consistent.

IMO the key is Turner. Our set plays are so much better with him in the team and he is very influential  when he wanders into the  midfield from his normal  wide position. McCall has got to find a position for Turner in central midfield even if its playing in an advanced role just behind the strikers.   But...........!

I think the Ayr result shows that we have a team selection (Graham and Rudden starting) and formation that is effective against the bottom 5 teams. I hope the Kilmarnock performance indicates that we have a team selection (1 striker starting) capable of beating the top 5 teams.

The test of this will be next month when we have Arbroath, Raith and ICT. If we can get 5 points or more from those we are in good shape for the playoffs. 7 points or more would make start to raise expectations.

Agree that we need to strengthen in January with cover for Docherty, a wide player and better backup than MacIver being the priorities. Extending Rudden, Akinola, Foster and Sneddon is just as important.

19 minutes ago, laukat said:

Agree that we need to strengthen in January with cover for Docherty, a wide player and better backup than MacIver being the priorities. 

Go along with that. I'd be looking to bring in a big 'un to challenge for Docherty's spot in midfield.  We're too lightweight in that area.

Been looking for a while that McCall has played  two jokers when signing Hastie and Hendrie. All for gambling on one wildcard signing but not two. That situation shouldn't be difficult to redress. Still believe Lawless is the epitome of the type of player we need to provide balance and take the pressure off Tiffoney. I've no idea if Lawless is the type of person we want as it's obvious he's lost his way of late.

5 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I used to think that if you won your home games and drew away you wouldn’t be too far away from top. Not sure if that ratio of points per game holds up in recent years. 

18 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I make that 72 points. Hasn't been necessary to get to that sort of level in recent few seasons but immediately before that there was a couple of seasons where 72 points wouldn't have been enough.

Doh ! I for some reason worked it out on 12 teams in our league. Call it a senior moment.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Go along with that. I'd be looking to bring in a big 'un to challenge for Docherty's spot in midfield.  We're too lightweight in that area.

Been looking for a while that McCall has played  two jokers when signing Hastie and Hendrie. All for gambling on one wildcard signing but not two. That situation shouldn't be difficult to redress. Still believe Lawless is the epitome of the type of player we need to provide balance and take the pressure off Tiffoney. I've no idea if Lawless is the type of person we want as it's obvious he's lost his way of late.

If Lawless was playing and ready to step into the starting eleven in January I would gladly take him back. My fear is he would need time to get fit and up to speed.

Lawless's staunch twitter comments are always dissapointing however his ability was not in question and I never saw any lack of desire or commitment when he was in a Thistle top. To my mind in our relegation season he was one of the few who were willing to go the extra mile. 

God knows what Chico would have tweeted about the other cheek if he had been a player nowadays.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

It seems Sena is getting good reviews playing in midfield for Alloa. Don’t know if it is too soon for him or potentially damaging to pull back from loan, but potentially an option?