R.I.P. Bertie Auld

thistle4celtic1

I remember a banner saying something like "Thistle of old, not Thistle with Auld"......   Seems some folk back then didn't like the style of play at times under Bertie.  But his record speaks for itself.

Jim Oliver once said the best time to be chairman of the club was when Thistle were pushing for promotion - winning games, anticipation, everyone happy. Then once we're up in the top league folk start moaning because we're not winning as much! 

Anyway, I loved Bertie as a manager, constantly punched above our resources and got us to Hampden a few times and beat Rangers 6 (?) times in the league. A highly talented manager (and an outstanding player before then). We might be running out of facilities to name at Firhill but Bertie deserves to be remembered for his achievements at the club. In my lifetime McParland, Auld and Lambie are all stand-outs. Indeed, if we didn't already have the Colin Weir stand we could have called it the Auld Stand!

3 hours ago, stillresigned said:

One of the happiest days of my life!:fan:

An earlier poster described Bertie’s ability to talk up the club and make headlines.  He did that before this game appealing for lapsed and occasional fans to get out and support their team challenging for second in the league.  The fans turned out and Bertie delivered (well the head of Somner but that’s a minor detail).  I remember changing ends under the floodlights.

Not always appreciated for grinding out a point when you only got 2 for a win.  Strange, looking back, that Bertie was often accused of defensive strategies yet we had the likes of Doug Somner, Jim Melrose, Kenny McDowall, Colin McAdam and Maurice Johnstone banging in goals during that time with BobbyBobby, BobbyBobby Houston on the wing.

Great memories, even greater stories.

Thanks Bertie!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

If you are hinting at the present incumbent, then....NO!

I agree McNamara presently and that the team he (with McCall’s help) built was better than the present team but if McCall gets us promotion this year, you must surely appreciate that this would be a massive achievement.

• Like 1

I know a lot will disagree because of the way his tenure as manager ended, but for me it is Archibald. He got us promoted, was unbeaten in the league after he took over. Kept us in the Premier league for 5 seasons and finished 6th, our highest league position for over 35 years. I know it all went wrong the last season and a bit, but i don't think that should detract from what he achieved before that.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1