Saturday v Accies

thebiglemon

39 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Stevie Lawless 2012-2018 certainly may have, I agree JLS.

Today's Stevie Lawless - dunno. And you cannot know either, so let's agree to leave this discussion there. No point in either of us debating a player whose commitment is questionable.

If we're wanting a real 'what if' debate - how about Brian Graham being the missing partner Kris Doolan could have had all those years Archie played him up top on his own?

Tell me Barney , where does the commitment thing come into it because he had a fall out with Graham Alexander?

Lots of players aren’t comfortable with Graham Alexander just now regardless of results, changed the training times , got them back in the afternoon s etc  , there’s lots going on behind the scenes at Fir Park

At PTFC for 7 /8 years , Livi and even Burton his commitment was never in doubt.

Stevie Lawless is currently training with Livi and will probably end up there in January but if we have any aspirations of getting back to the Premier League he’s the quality of player we need to get there .

7 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

I take it you were at the game today Barney and the last two goalless games at Firhill 

When teams sit in against us we run out of ideas , Rudden and Graham didn’t kick a ball today and indeed were both taken off .

Absolutely no  goalscoring threat from midfield, there has got to be a different system to break down teams at Firhill .

Stevie Lawless would give us a different option with his creativity and his goalscoring threat .

The lack of goal scoring threat argument is a weak one just. We have the best goal difference in the league, we scored 4 last week and 6 vs Hamilton. At the start of the season we scored 3 vs QOS; 3 vs Morton and 4 vs Ayr at Firhill. I would suggest it is something else other than lack of threat - maybe the pitch ?

I'm ambivalent on SL. If he joins us or not ill go with the flow. He had a great season at livingstone 2 years ago, but he then only scored 2 goals in total with Burton and Motherwell since then. I'd much rather give more game time to Smith to see if he is the answer. Some very promising signs yesterday, but he also needs a few goals as does Turner. As others have said we are doing pretty well at the moment.....and have been for the best part of this year. 

8 hours ago, dagenum said:

Looked in at the time, looks more in after watching the highlights, surprised there wasn't more of a shout for it.

Linesman was 20+yards out.

I thought this was a goal at the time and if you pause the clip just as 3 seconds starts when it hits the ground it looks like its a good foot over the line. Couldn't understand the lack of protest. To me it looks like we have another ghost goal at the same end end again.

In general I thought we were ok yesterday. Never looked like losing but struggled to create anything. Hamilton came with a game plan to deny time on the ball to congest midfield and protect their back 4 at the cost of isolating their striker up front. We needed to be able to move the ball on the ground a lot faster than we did. Smith helped with that when he came on but the biggest hinderance to us was the state of the pitch.

The pitch was a lot better than the ICT game mainly because the grass has been cut and it wasn't as wet but its very uneven and the wide areas next to the Jackie Husband stand have tram lines going up it. I fear that with games against Raith and Arbroath at home in a few weeks that the pitch may hold us back.

9 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I agree entirely, jlsarmy. I presume even some of those not keen on signing Lawless wouldn't disagree in part. Seems tho' that both Lawless's character and attitude are in question. I suppose his untimely exit at Motherwell adds to the negative speculation. 

I didn't know about the exit from Motherwell, so will read up on what happened. Might be pertinent.

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

The lack of goal scoring threat argument is a weak one just. We have the best goal difference in the league, we scored 4 last week and 6 vs Hamilton. At the start of the season we scored 3 vs QOS; 3 vs Morton and 4 vs Ayr at Firhill. I would suggest it is something else other than lack of threat - maybe the pitch ?

Really , we’ve scored 1 goal in the last 3 home games , think we’re talking about when teams sit in against us at Firhill then we’ve got to have a Plan B

11 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Really , we’ve scored 1 goal in the last 3 home games , think we’re talking about when teams sit in against us at Firhill then we’ve got to have a Plan B

We should ditch playing rudden and Graham together and play one striker with two wide players on either side……yesterday there were endless long balls from McKenna missing the midfield to the strikers which 99% of the time just gave the ball away …..we needed to play more through midfield 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

That’s exactly what my point is JLS - when the pitch was in good nick here and elsewhere there has been no issue scoring. It is probably due to QP playing on it as well. It is certainly looking bumpy. Plan B should be get corners and let Turner take them. We are scoring pretty regularly from that source.

Can someone with the knowledge clear this up please.

I know that the ref couldn't wave Tunji back on as he (or maybe a linesman?) had to check the bleeding had been stemmed. I assumed that the first time he could do the check was when the ball went dead. In other words the ref was in no way at fault (in this instance at least).

So, is this the case?

Or, can the ref stop play to check on Tunji? If so, should this happen immediately or after how many passages of play?

Or, can the linesman check the bleeding has stopped during play and the ref simply wave him back on?

btw whatever the ruling, when it was clear Tunji wasn't getting back on we should have put the ball out of play ourselves. 

6 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Can someone with the knowledge clear this up please.

I know that the ref couldn't wave Tunji back on as he (or maybe a linesman?) had to check the bleeding had been stemmed. I assumed that the first time he could do the check was when the ball went dead. In other words the ref was in no way at fault (in this instance at least).

So, is this the case?

Or, can the ref stop play to check on Tunji? If so, should this happen immediately or after how many passages of play?

Or, can the linesman check the bleeding has stopped during play and the ref simply wave him back on?

btw whatever the ruling, when it was clear Tunji wasn't getting back on we should have put the ball out of play ourselves. 

The ref was right. Akinola could only be reintroduced once the officials could confirm there was no bleeding - that has to be when play has stopped.  He may have got a lot wrong yesterday but he was right there.

Despite our great defensive run and just two points off the team expected to go straight back up, I remain conflicted!

Yesterdays first 45 a case in point. Lumping high balls up the park to no effect. Second half was better partly because Hamilton were more attacking and gave us some space. But apart from the goal and hitting the bar I don’t think we troubled their keeper the whole game.

As others have suggested maybe playing one up the middle with two wide is better to stretch those teams who come to Firhill and sit in. I wonder if Rudden had been told to do that at half time, there seemed to be words exchanged with Scally when he was subbed?

Big December coming up, be interesting to see whether Arbroath and Raith sit in or attack, they will both have plenty of confidence given their position in the league. Ironically might suit us.

The upside though is we are just two points off top!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

That’s exactly what my point is JLS - when the pitch was in good nick here and elsewhere there has been no issue scoring. It is probably due to QP playing on it as well. It is certainly looking bumpy. Plan B should be get corners and let Turner take them. We are scoring pretty regularly from that source.

So when the really bad weather comes and all grass pitches across the country deteriorate then were gubbed is what your saying. I'm sure our players deserve a bit more credit than that. 

Very important win yesterday considering results elsewhere. Can only be positive when you don't play well and take three points. We need another creative player in January, I thought Hastie would have provided that but he has been disappointing so far.  

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

We should ditch playing rudden and Graham together and play one striker with two wide players on either side……yesterday there were endless long balls from McKenna missing the midfield to the strikers which 99% of the time just gave the ball away …..we needed to play more through midfield 

Completely agree. I also think Snedds has to improve his distribution. He often has an option for a quick ball to Foster, Holt etc and if there's a quick move up the park there's an option for an overlap, some width and then a good ball into the box or to Bannigan etc just outside the box. However, he seems to stop and wait for both teams to settle into a mix them kick the ball into a group of about 12 players. Time and again, Rudden or Graham struggle to get the ball because they're surrounded by opposition players. We then give possession away. I just don't understand that as a tactic, if it is a tactic. Add to that the way all players now seem to create a huddle at one wing of the park ( what's that all about?) and the persistence of a long punt up seems pointless.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Despite our great defensive run and just two points off the team expected to go straight back up, I remain conflicted!

Yesterdays first 45 a case in point. Lumping high balls up the park to no effect. Second half was better partly because Hamilton were more attacking and gave us some space. But apart from the goal and hitting the bar I don’t think we troubled their keeper the whole game.

As others have suggested maybe playing one up the middle with two wide is better to stretch those teams who come to Firhill and sit in. I wonder if Rudden had been told to do that at half time, there seemed to be words exchanged with Scally when he was subbed?

Big December coming up, be interesting to see whether Arbroath and Raith sit in or attack, they will both have plenty of confidence given their position in the league. Ironically might suit us.

The upside though is we are just two points off top!

Prior to yesterday it had been suggested that we had finally found how to play - one up vs the better teams and two up vs the poorer teams. Maybe it’s now 2 up away to the poorer teams and one up at Firhill and against the better teams ?

35 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

So when the really bad weather comes and all grass pitches across the country deteriorate then were gubbed is what your saying. I'm sure our players deserve a bit more credit than that. 

Very important win yesterday considering results elsewhere. Can only be positive when you don't play well and take three points. We need another creative player in January, I thought Hastie would have provided that but he has been disappointing so far.  

I think you have got the wrong end of the stick here. I am positive.(it was jlsarmy that was complaining) It was a tongue in cheek comment about the corners being plan B. But how does a creative player help on a bumpy pitch ?

Regarding Lawless.

I think it would be a big mistake to re-sign him.

I know I am in a minority but for some reason I never really took to him even in his hey-day with the promotion team. Then we had the gambling issue when he was still with us and despite being very successful at Livingston his time there seemed to end abruptly.

I don't know what happened at Motherwell, others on here seem better informed, but for me being released in mid- season would worry me about bringing him back to Firhill.

I know the above is all smoke and mirrors but I have never been convinced about him and his record since leaving us has done nothing to change that.

Sorry but he is just not for me!

7 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Regarding Lawless.

I know I am in a minority but for some reason I never really took to him even in his hey-day with the promotion team. Then we had the gambling issue when he was still with us and despite being very successful at Livingston his time there seemed to end abruptly.

I don't know what happened at Motherwell, others on here seem better informed, but for me being released in mid- season would worry me about bringing him back to Firhill.

I know the above is all smoke and mirrors but I have never been convinced about him and his record since leaving us has done nothing to change that.

Outwith the Old Firm players he was Scotland’s most successful player re assists and goals 2 years ago at Livi

He ran his contract down at Livi as he wanted to try something else , not abruptly as you say . 

39 minutes ago, belfastjag said:

My and my grandson's  first live game at Firhill in nearly two years. Not a great match but cracking result. Not as impressed with our back four as some, but their record speaks for itself. Also won second prize in the halftime draw. A ball or a zoom meeting?

A zoom meeting with a ball!

Last time I won 2nd prize it was a meeting with the management team.

22 hours ago, westertonjagfan said:

How much did we miss Foster today? Quite a lot, imo. Great result but frustrating performance.

I agree, Foster was missed today. Hamilton's occasional threats were down our right. May have been mentioned elsewhere, but do we know why he was out?

4 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Regarding Lawless.

The lawless we had, isn’t the same lawless now. We’d all love to have gotten the band back together (Dools, Squiddy, Lawless, ATS, etc) but very rarely does a player who leaves a great player return as the same or better (Archie excluded), why hasn’t he signed for another club as he’s a free agent and they can be signed at anytime as long as they haven’t played for 3 other clubs that season. We need to look forward not back

31 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

The lawless we had, isn’t the same lawless now. We’d all love to have gotten the band back together (Dools, Squiddy, Lawless, ATS, etc) but very rarely does a player who leaves a great player return as the same or better (Archie excluded), why hasn’t he signed for another club as he’s a free agent and they can be signed at anytime as long as they haven’t played for 3 other clubs that season. We need to look forward not back

That’s only true had he been a free agent at the closing of the last window. He wasn’t and therefore isn’t free to play for another club till the next window opens