Saturday v Accies

thebiglemon

20 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

That’s only true had he been a free agent at the closing of the last window. He wasn’t and therefore isn’t free to play for another club till the next window opens

This.

Even then, as a free agent he could have signed for another Scottish club in another division for one month after the close of the window.

The timing of his release seems indicative of other matters influencing his departure - even in the world of football, it's unusual for an individual to be frozen out of potential employment opportunities.

20 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

I take it you were at the game today Barney and the last two goalless games at Firhill 

When teams sit in against us we run out of ideas , Rudden and Graham didn’t kick a ball today and indeed were both taken off .

Absolutely no  goalscoring threat from midfield, there has got to be a different system to break down teams at Firhill .

Stevie Lawless would give us a different option with his creativity and his goalscoring threat .

Totally agree with your assessment of the problem. We lack creativity in midfield and have no real threat from wing backs.  I don't know that Lawless is the answer, but we certainly need to strengthen and I hear he may be in the plans for January. 

12 hours ago, laukat said:

I thought this was a goal at the time and if you pause the clip just as 3 seconds starts when it hits the ground it looks like its a good foot over the line. Couldn't understand the lack of protest. To me it looks like we have another ghost goal at the same end end again.

In general I thought we were ok yesterday. Never looked like losing but struggled to create anything. Hamilton came with a game plan to deny time on the ball to congest midfield and protect their back 4 at the cost of isolating their striker up front. We needed to be able to move the ball on the ground a lot faster than we did. Smith helped with that when he came on but the biggest hinderance to us was the state of the pitch.

The pitch was a lot better than the ICT game mainly because the grass has been cut and it wasn't as wet but its very uneven and the wide areas next to the Jackie Husband stand have tram lines going up it. I fear that with games against Raith and Arbroath at home in a few weeks that the pitch may hold us back.

I think we're paying a price for this season's ground sharing arrangement.  It's not going to get any better over the winter, so we need to learn to adapt our game to accommodate the surface.  Maybe that's part of the thinking behind the long ball strategy we seem to have adopted in recent home games. 

4 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

The lawless we had, isn’t the same lawless now. We’d all love to have gotten the band back together (Dools, Squiddy, Lawless, ATS, etc) but very rarely does a player who leaves a great player return as the same or better (Archie excluded), why hasn’t he signed for another club as he’s a free agent and they can be signed at anytime as long as they haven’t played for 3 other clubs that season. We need to look forward not back

Motherwell still hold his registration, so he can’t sign for another club till January , he’s only 30 much younger than Dools and Erskine 

3 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

This.

Even then, as a free agent he could have signed for another Scottish club in another division for one month after the close of the window.

The timing of his release seems indicative of other matters influencing his departure - even in the world of football, it's unusual for an individual to be frozen out of potential employment opportunities.

He’s actually got plenty of options in January, just that Motherwell hold his registration just now

9 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Outwith the Old Firm players he was Scotland’s most successful player re assists and goals 2 years ago at Livi

He ran his contract down at Livi as he wanted to try something else , not abruptly as you say . 

I said "seemed to end abruptly"!

I accept  that your opinion  of SL is much more favourable than mine.  I have been honest in saying that I have never been convinced about him even when he acquired 'hero' status as a member of the promotion team. So regardless of your statistics I really think it would be a bad decision to re-sign him.

As others have said we need to move forward.

I don't think Steven Lawless will struggle to get a contract in January. I would assume Livingstone would be favourites right now.

However unless Hastie suddenly comes good we need a wide player in January and wee really need someone who can make an impact straight away. I have my doubts that is Lawless given his lack of game time but equally a youngster from a premier league team brings the same issues.

I can't think of many other wide players who will be available in January, who we can afford and who can immediately slot into what is hopefully a team chasing promotion.

Is Alan Forrest not getting a game at Livingston or injured?

2 hours ago, laukat said:

I don't think Steven Lawless will struggle to get a contract in January. I would assume Livingstone would be favourites right now.

However unless Hastie suddenly comes good we need a wide player in January and wee really need someone who can make an impact straight away. I have my doubts that is Lawless given his lack of game time but equally a youngster from a premier league team brings the same issues.

I can't think of many other wide players who will be available in January, who we can afford and who can immediately slot into what is hopefully a team chasing promotion.

Is Alan Forrest not getting a game at Livingston or injured?

Prefer to buy than borrow but maybe Davie Moyes could lend us someone for the rest of the season, or at least put us in the right direction.

I'm sure there are some players with the ability of Akinola that would benefit from playing in our league for a while.

Do we need two players? Be a shock if we didn't. 

45 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Would it not have been better for all parties to loan him till end December rather than sit on his registration (and presumably pay him). 

You can’t loan outside the window and they won’t be paying him. Motherwell hold the registration because they can’t transfer it to anyone else until January 

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

You can’t loan outside the window and they won’t be paying him. Motherwell hold the registration because they can’t transfer it to anyone else until January 

Effectively, they are preventing him from making a living from professional football. That surely can’t be right.

12 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Effectively, they are preventing him from making a living from professional football. That surely can’t be right.

It's not Motherwell, it's the authorities (SFA/UEFA/FIFA). It is to stop teams abusing the transfer windows.

Lets say Real Madrid were impressed by Zak and wanted to sign him immediately. They could pay Thistle to release him, then sign him as a free agent. The player registration rules are there to prevent that and ensure that a player is registered to a club for the entire window.. Besides, there is nothing to prevent Stevie from making a living in a coaching or back room capacity, just not as a player.

It is very irregular for this sort of situation to arise and suggests some sort of gross misconduct. There should be great, big, red, warning flags waving in the face of any potential employer.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

It's not Motherwell, it's the authorities (SFA/UEFA/FIFA). It is to stop teams abusing the transfer windows.

Lets say Real Madrid were impressed by Zak and wanted to sign him immediately. They could pay Thistle to release him, then sign him as a free agent. The player registration rules are there to prevent that and ensure that a player is registered to a club for the entire window.. Besides, there is nothing to prevent Stevie from making a living in a coaching or back room capacity, just not as a player.

It is very irregular for this sort of situation to arise and suggests some sort of gross misconduct. There should be great, big, red, warning flags waving in the face of any potential employer.

Maybe these are general warning signs. However, we have his former long term manager and team mate on our payroll, who will know better whether he is trouble or not. If we were considering taking him on, I would take his advice (whatever it may be) over any possible inference we might make over his present employment cirumstances

Edited by Duke Gekantawa

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Now I may be misinterpreting what you are saying.  Lawless can’t sign for anybody because Motherwell have been paid to release him ?

4 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Now I may be misinterpreting what you are saying.  Lawless can’t sign for anybody because Motherwell have been paid to release him ?

No. I was just giving an example of why there are rules around when registration can be transferred, to avoid such nefarious behaviour happening 

On 11/22/2021 at 10:49 AM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Might be wrong but I think Forrest is right sided. Quality player, who I'm sure McCall would want to bring in if given a chance, but wouldn't quite redress the balance in the side.

He tried to get him previously but he opted for Livingstone in a higher league so more pay which is understandable.