January Transfer Window

javeajag

Our recent success and march up the league has been largely due to our defensive set up …any losses in that domain would only reverse that trend so can’t quite understand McCall’s thoughts on no more defensive additions now that Bell is back from injury after a long absence .

A flexible centre back ,creative attack minded midfielder and an out and out “poacher” would be a minimum to get us over the line for playoffs .

Edited by Anniesland Jag

4 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Our recent success and march up the league has been largely due to our defensive set up …any losses in that domain would only reverse that trend so can’t quite understand McCall’s thoughts on no more defensive additions now that Bell is back from injury after a long absence .

A flexible centre back ,creative attack minded midfielder and an out and out “poacher” would be a minimum to get us over the line for playoffs .

I suppose his thinking is that we still have Hendrie who hasn’t made much of an appearance yet.

57 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

IMC “I’d like to have 14 or 15 under contract by the start of next season, so that the club is evolving properly. I hope within the next two weeks we’ll have 11"

By my reckoning we have 10 at the moment.  Maybe Sneddon will be offered a longer contract shortly? 

Or Rudden.

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I suppose his thinking is that we still have Hendrie who hasn’t made much of an appearance yet.

The fact Hendrie isn’t getting a look in speaks volumes,might be best to bring in a tried and tested utility Championship level defender in case our bad run of injuries possibly rears it’s ugly head again .

53 minutes ago, jaggymct said:

or Akinola

He's under contract beyond this season so won't be #11 but IMC did mention about getting him signed up for even longer. 

Good point from GRE2  about Rudden, IMC did want him signed up earlier this season. 

Be happy to see all 3 get extended contracts. 

4 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

He's under contract beyond this season so won't be #11 but IMC did mention about getting him signed up for even longer. 

Apologies to Jaggymct, I'm wrong about Akinola contract! Only 1 year deal currently. Must check my facts before typing next time :getmecoat:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

The fact Hendrie isn’t getting a look in speaks volumes,might be best to bring in a tried and tested utility Championship level defender in case our bad run of injuries possibly rears it’s ugly head again .

Does it though ? We have just gone 7 games conceding just 1 goal, pretty much with the same defence throughout bar Mayo missing once or twice.

Must be very difficult for second choice keepers these days. At least outfield bench warmers get the odd run out yet it can easily be argued having your 2nd string goalie fit and match ready is more important. No Reserve/U20 football to fall back on as well.

No opinion one way or other but there could be a valid argument to starting Stone tomorrow evening. League level opposition without the points at stake only adds to that argument.

Except, M'Lady, tomorrow night Thistle could equal the club record of 7 consecutive matches with no goals conceded AND Sneddon could be the first keeper in Thistle's history to achieve 7 consecutive clean sheets.  The previous record  of 7 was in 1920/21 when Kenny Campbell achieved 5 on the bounce followed by Rab Bernard then Campbell again. Pretty cruel if he was dropped.

I realise I may just have put the mockers on the whole thing!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

Except, M'Lady, tomorrow night Thistle could equal the club record of 7 consecutive matches with no goals conceded AND Sneddon could be the first keeper in Thistle's history to achieve 7 consecutive clean sheets.  The previous record  of 7 was in 1920/21 when Kenny Campbell achieved 5 on the bounce followed by Rab Bernard then Campbell again. Pretty cruel if he was dropped.

I realise I may just have put the mockers on the whole thing!

Apart from just jinxing it there is also a place  in the next round and presumably some money in the transfer window fund to play for.  I think that this round in particular requires us to put out our strongest team.

I think that if money were no object the Ian McCall would probably sign a defender just in case. However he has a budget to work within and with which to build a balanced squad!

So far I think he has done well. For example, Holt left back (also central defence); Foster right back (also left back) McKenna, right back and central defence; not to mention Akinola, Mayo, Bell and when he is fit Brownlie. There is also Niang. I would say we are OK in defence as long as we don't have a catastrophic run of injuries.

I also think we have the numbers for  midfield (counting Tiffoney as a wide midfielder)

Perhaps we need a wide  right midfielder with Tiffoney's pace and another goal scoring striker. Murray and McIver need a little bit more devopement before they reach first team level. Otherwise with Smith there as well we seem well off for cover. We do though need more creativity in midfield but I think Turner could provide that if played more in a central position.

My big point though is who would we leave out from midfield or the striking positions if we sign players for these areas?

On 12/1/2021 at 5:25 PM, policemans whistle said:

He said in one of his comments that he had a few ideas that he would like to put to the directors re the window. I wonder if he was considering a few swap deals. Say Murray and Gordon for Morrison of Falkirk.

Morrison would be a great signing mate.  It looks like Hastie is returning during the window and giving things have not quite worked out for Hastie here unfortunately Morrison would be a fantastic coup if we could get him

13 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Morrison would be a great signing mate.  It looks like Hastie is returning during the window and giving things have not quite worked out for Hastie here unfortunately Morrison would be a fantastic coup if we could get him

I have only seen Morrison once in a full 90 minute game so any views I have will be limited to a single performance.

The  game was of course the 5-0 hammering of Falkirk at Firhill in one of our later League 1 fixtures.

I am afraid I can't say I was impressed. He was clearly one of Falkirk's better players and was perhaps unlucky not to score with a header. He was however fast asleep at Tiffoney's goal being very slow to react and completely unaware of what was happening around him!

Also as the game progressed he gradually became anonymous and was eventually taken pff!

At Firhill we need players who will keep going and keep fighting for the Jersey, the Club and the fans. We have this in abundance in the current squad.

I didn't see any of these or similar attributes  in Morrisòn. 

I think we should be cautious about signing this player!

33 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Morrison signed a 2 year deal at Falkirk in August so a fee or swap(s) would be needed.

Hendrie signs extension 

Nice touch. Normally it's just the cue.

Apart from a 5 mins sub appearance many years ago I don't think I've ever seen Morrison play (apart from streamed games) so can't really comment too much. I note he scores regularly in Div 1 & Div 2 but has failed to score in either of the two tiers above. I guess it's a case of whether he's improved sufficiently in recent seasons.

This time last week I'd have been rather surprised to hear Hendrie staying on. but based purely on that one game last Friday I'm happy enough with that. Thought he had a good game. Got up the park a few times tho' I feel his strengths are as a defender.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett