January Transfer Window

javeajag

11 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Currently we are 1 point off 4th so I don't think we should just say "on well let's not try to make that up". We have seen as recently as the start of this year what a couple of additions, if the right ones, can do for you. Given this division is one in which games are generally quite tight it would not take much, in my opinion, to be able to get a shot at the play offs and in those anything can happen.

The point about finances though is one we need to think about but more so from a "empty stadiums" point. Hopefully we don't return to that situation but that is a decision outwith the club's hands and the Scottish Government will do what they think is required so let's hope, for a multitude of reasons, we can get the new variant under control soon.

Agree, only a few weeks ago 3 points is all that seperated top 5.  Also last season every Championship club got £350k more than league 1 clubs when the the help was being dished out.

10 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Currently we are 1 point off 4th so I don't think we should just say "on well let's not try to make that up". We have seen as recently as the start of this year what a couple of additions, if the right ones, can do for you. Given this division is one in which games are generally quite tight it would not take much, in my opinion, to be able to get a shot at the play offs and in those anything can happen.

The point about finances though is one we need to think about but more so from a "empty stadiums" point. Hopefully we don't return to that situation but that is a decision outwith the club's hands and the Scottish Government will do what they think is required so let's hope, for a multitude of reasons, we can get the new variant under control soon.

It will need more than a couple of players. Yesterday, front to back there was not one that was good enough against their part time opponents. And let’s be honest, they haven’t been for a few weeks now.

Lets assume that by some miracle we did get promoted. It would be an annihilation. Far better to admit it now and go again next year

16 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

It will need more than a couple of players. Yesterday, front to back there was not one that was good enough against their part time opponents. And let’s be honest, they haven’t been for a few weeks now.

Lets assume that by some miracle we did get promoted. It would be an annihilation. Far better to admit it now and go again next year

This squad, I believe would struggle to get through the play offs if they're in them. The standard of the Championship this season is poor. We do have a better squad than the teams down in the bottom half, but we are struggling against a few of these teams. Three 0-0 draws against, Morton, Dunfermline and QOS and scraping a 1-0 win at home to Accies. McCall is still struggling to get the best out of this squad. The midfield is a problem. No real creativity and Turner, I believe is being played out of position. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

As they say "it is all about opinions" but I do think if we can get the midfield sorted which GRE2 mentions in his post and I agree with him on that we could give ourselves a chance. If we did get promoted then that would mean more funds so it would not just be a case of putting this squad in the Premiership. 

• Like 1

With these stupid wee leagues where only 40% of the clubs aren't involved in play offs or are promoted or relegated, it would be folly to assume we'll not be part of the 60%. Put another way we may be playing mid table football but we could stagger into 4th or even 3rd place without much improvement. Our hot and cold performances vary so much it's not that unlikely, if involved, we could  get thru the play offs.

If we've serious intentions of getting promoted, and it would be alarming if our mindset differed from that, we've gotta be careful re January recruitment. What we don't want to be doing is signing players on contracts past May 22 if the players in question either aren't up to or don't have the potential to play top tier football. With that in mind there'll likely be a few quality championship players we'll be better to miss out on.  

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Rumour that a team in Ireland are signing mciver from us in January.

Regarding the posters point about not signing players till the summer - is their not a large gap in finances between league places eg £60,000 between 5th and 4th etc which could also bring much needed income to the club, plus the sooner we sign players the more time they have to fit into the squad 

42 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Rumour that a team in Ireland are signing mciver from us in January.

Regarding the posters point about not signing players till the summer - is their not a large gap in finances between league places eg £60,000 between 5th and 4th etc which could also bring much needed income to the club, plus the sooner we sign players the more time they have to fit into the squad 

I hope McIver will be happy in his new surroundings. We should try to sell the attractions of the Emerald Isle to him.

5 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

The part time thing is irrelevant- Arbroath are one of the best teams in this division regardless of status. 

While I think we are some way away from the top 3, we are not really any worse than Killie. Their record against top 5 teams is the as bad as ours (4 points each- 3 coming from the other in each case), and they are on a worse run. So the play-offs remain a real possibility. Can’t see is going up though, to be fair 

On 12/12/2021 at 9:23 AM, Garscube Road End 2 said:

This squad, I believe would struggle to get through the play offs if they're in them. The standard of the Championship this season is poor. We do have a better squad than the teams down in the bottom half, but we are struggling against a few of these teams. Three 0-0 draws against, Morton, Dunfermline and QOS and scraping a 1-0 win at home to Accies. McCall is still struggling to get the best out of this squad. The midfield is a problem. No real creativity and Turner, I believe is being played out of position. 

I agree with all of this. I have been saying for some time that our midfield is a problem area but more from the perspective that it  rarely dominates a game. This may be due to both the lack of physical presence in and creativity!

Assuming we address both these problems in the January window by signing at least one heavyweight midfield player the question then becomes  who do we drop from the  current midfield?  There will be conflicting views about this but IMO that would be  Bannigan.  

Sorting out our midfield goes beyond simply adding some physical presence we also have to reorganise and for me that means playing Turner in a more central role.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

I agree with all of this. I have been saying for some time that our midfield is a problem area but more from the perspective that it  rarely dominates a game. This may be due to both the lack of physical presence in and creativity!

Assuming we address both these problems in the January window by signing at least one heavyweight midfield player the question then becomes  who do we drop from the  current midfield?  There will be conflicting views about this but IMO that would be  Bannigan.  

Sorting out our midfield goes beyond simply adding some physical presence we also have to reorganise and for me that means playing Turner in a more central role.

Regards Turner, he is being shoehorned in in a position where he us ineffectual to placate Docherty and Bannigan, who McCall doesn't see any faults with. Turner is being wasted. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I have laid down my reasons for my ' dislike' of his management/ coaching skills.

It’s not a dislike it’s sheer hatred - your on here every day going on and on about McCall.  Even on topics not even related to him your being it round to McCall 

you scroll about pie and bovril doing the same thing moaning on and on about him.  Even going on Ayr United threads begging them to take him back.

it’s almost as though you revel in our defeats so you get another chance to go on and on about McCall 

honestly no idea if you go out of your way to be so torn faced or if it just comes naturally 

39 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

It’s not a dislike it’s sheer hatred - your on here every day going on and on about McCall.  Even on topics not even related to him your being it round to McCall 

you scroll about pie and bovril doing the same thing moaning on and on about him.  Even going on Ayr United threads begging them to take him back.

it’s almost as though you revel in our defeats so you get another chance to go on and on about McCall 

honestly no idea if you go out of your way to be so torn faced or if it just comes naturally 

You’re in big trouble now! He really doesn’t like people expressing an opinion about his opinions!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Every day? Hmmm. Rather delusional are we not? I don't hate him, I have never met the man. I dislike his footballing philosophy.  Its as simple as that. Maybe you should also read what some Ayr fans say about him too!

Edited by Garscube Road End 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I do hope that I'm not being left out of these outrageous allegations. Just for the record and in case of any doubt, I don't think McCall is fit to be a Thistle manager.