January Transfer Window

javeajag

I could understand looking at Muirhead before we realised that Akinola and Mayo were a decent partnership. Now they have established themselves and we have Holt, Bell and hopefully sometime soon Brownlie to cover in that position then we don't need a central defender.

If we are looking at ex-ayr players in the transfer window I would be keener on getting Stephen Kelly in. I think he a more combatitive midfielder and would put pressure on Docherty and Bannigan to perform as well as giving us something different.

Saturday's game confirmed to me that we are a decent team and have a decent manager in charge.  We will continue to be on the fringes untill we get a proper wide player to balance Tiffoney and to supply crossess to Rudden.

The top 5 teams go into the January window with very different hopes and with a variable this season unlike any other. With Covid increasing its hard to belive that the experience of english clubs won't eventually happen to our league and at that point the size and depth of the squad will be key.

Killie need a manager who will probably want to bring in 4 or 5 of his own. Thats a big ask but they probably have the money and squad size is less of an issue.

ICT will want to keep what they have but they are already losing Gardayne and really need to find someone to cover Welsh when he had his inevitable periods of injury. Probably don't have the squad size to cope if covid has effect.

Raith need strikers and to beef up their squad but probably don't have the finance to get all of what they need. The effect of missing players was already present on Saturday.

Arbroath need to replace both Nouble and Dowds with similar quality but will also need extra numbers if they want to keep going. Not so sure a part-time club can afford to run a large squad so their hopes may rest on not getting injuries or impacted by covid. They may also find it harder against the bottom 5 who might start to sit in against them.

For us if we can keep what we have get a wide player and a defensive midfielder we should have a better second half to the season. We might also need an extra striker  and  a backup winger to provide cover.

If Santa could provide a new playing surface that would be even better. Trying to play football on it is hard enough but we may get a few cancellations and create a fixture pile up.

Bear with me with this.

Saturday's goal was clearly reminiscent of play a good few seasons back in the top tier. Bannigan plays a simple pass down the left to Tiffoney who's quick to cut in and cross to far post. Smart knockdown and goal. That could so easily have been Banzo to Higginbotham, knockdown and Doolan getting the final touch.

Point I'm trying to make is that type of goal is very unlikely to be mirrored from down the right flank. Back in the day Lawless would've cut in from the right and delivered a left footed cross. That's why I believe it's a priority to bring in a naturally left sided wide mid/winger in January. It's also why I was enthused by the signing of Hastie. A pacy leftie who I thought would take the pressure off Tiffoney, and make double marking that Tiffoney regularly receives a pointless tactic.

Btw I'm not advocating that we sign Stevie Lawless, I'm neutral on that. Merely using Lawless as a template re the style of player I'd like to see signed

25 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Bear with me with this.

Saturday's goal was clearly reminiscent of play a good few seasons back in the top tier. Bannigan plays a simple pass down the left to Tiffoney who's quick to cut in and cross to far post. Smart knockdown and goal. That could so easily have been Banzo to Higginbotham, knockdown and Doolan getting the final touch.

Point I'm trying to make is that type of goal is very unlikely to be mirrored from down the right flank. Back in the day Lawless would've cut in from the right and delivered a left footed cross. That's why I believe it's a priority to bring in a naturally left sided wide mid/winger in January. It's also why I was enthused by the signing of Hastie. A pacy leftie who I thought would take the pressure off Tiffoney, and make double marking that Tiffoney regularly receives a pointless tactic.

Btw I'm not advocating that we sign Stevie Lawless, I'm neutral on that. Merely using Lawless as a template re the style of player I'd like to see signed

Agree with this but not sure who fits that bill up here, well who would be available in January anyway.  Wonder if any of our English contacts could find us a left sided pacemaster even on loan.  I think that could be the difference to us having a serious pop at title.

On 12/20/2021 at 8:21 AM, sandy said:

I think we should build the midfield round Turner in a central role, not fit Turner around others. He will have more influence on the game when played in his natural position.

Think part of problem is our lack of genuine overlapping full backs in the SOD mode. Foster and Holt are solid defensively but slow to get forward (Foster  a bit better than Holt).  If we had that option to give width we could play Turner centrally rather than in a flit-between-midfield-and-wing sort of way.  

Edited by Mr Bunny
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

So .... defense is overperforming and attack is underperforming.

And it was previously the other way round. It is nail on the head stuff but if the overperforming defence can't/won't play in the midfield and the attack can't collect these long punted balls, then the attack is sure to underperform. Play more as a team and less as two separate units, then there's more chance both defence and attack will perform effectively.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

And it was previously the other way round. It is nail on the head stuff but if the overperforming defence can't/won't play in the midfield and the attack can't collect these long punted balls, then the attack is sure to underperform. Play more as a team and less as two separate units, then there's more chance both defence and attack will perform effectively.

Which implies m’lady that getting the midfield selection (including Turner) right is perhaps key to joining the two together 

39 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

He is more of a wing back. Possibly giving us more options in attack than Holt gives us.

If he's an attacking left back/wingback maybe McCall plans to use him in right midfield? 

edited to add, he's scored a few goals.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

IN DEMAND

EXCLUSIVE

By Alan Potts

ST JOHNSTONE are keeping tabs on Partick Thistle striker Zak Rudden.

The 21-year-old striker has netted eight goals in 23 games for the promotion chasing Jags this season.

SunSport understands that form has caught the attention of Saints boss Callum Davidson.

Rudden’s deal is up at the end of the season and is available to sign a pre-contract from tomorrow.

But the Perth side, who are bottom of the Premiership, could be tempted to make a move to try and land him for a nominal fee this month.

Davidson’s men have struggled in front of goal all season and netted just 11 times in 20 Premiership outings this term.

Saints chiefs have vowed to back their double cup winning boss from last season, as they look to escape the relegation dogfight.

Rudden, who is also interesting Carlisle, came through the youth ranks at Rangers and had impressive loan spells with Falkirk and Plymouth before joining Thistle in January 2020.

Firhill gaffer Ian McCall is keen to keep hold of the Scotland Under-21 international and is expected to continue to try and convince the hitman to extend his stay with the Jags.

Partick are fifth in the Championship, six points behind Arbroath, but have a game in hand as they look to achieve back to back promotions