January Transfer Window

javeajag

On 12/28/2021 at 9:46 AM, partickthedog said:

I suppose we will only know whether we should be relieved or not when we see how the rest of the season pans out for Stevie and for us. 

But I think its about 3 to 1 in favour of your being right! 

If we get anybody in of Stevie Lawless standard I’ll be extremely surprised, we’ve got a great chance of promotion if we add 2 or 3 quality players but the pandemic and the lack of revenue have probably messed that up .

55 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

If we get anybody in of Stevie Lawless standard I’ll be extremely surprised, we’ve got a great chance of promotion if we add 2 or 3 quality players but the pandemic and the lack of revenue have probably messed that up .

Stevie Lawless standard or the standard Stevie Lawless once was. They may not be the same thing and the fact he is of to Pars suggests he isn’t 

Edited by Dick Dastardly

24 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Stevie Lawless standard or the standard Stevie Lawless once was. They may not be the same thing and the fact he is of to Pars suggests he isn’t 

I hope you’re right DD , are you suggesting that Dunfermline aren’t on a par with us . No pun intended.

He would have been ideal for us on the right hand side of midfield with his creativity.

Can’t keep relying on Tiff all the time 

Hopefully McCall has something up his sleeve , because I believe we’ve got a great chance of promotion if we get a couple of players in.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Gotta a feeling Lawless would've been a good signing in terms of this season. He had a position waiting for him, which no one else in the squad can effectively fill. So he'd have to play very poorly (Hastie level) not to get game time. The other side of the coin is we miss out on a younger left sided player with potential to improve. From what I hear Maxwell could fit the bill. Whether the lad would want to change from his regular position or not may effect any decision he makes.

For me the status quo, playing Tiffoney as our only natural wide player, is not a welcome situation and will affect our promotion chances. 

With Lawless going to Dunfermline I think Kai Kennedy will be ending his loan with the Pars. We were rumoured to be after Kennedy at the start of the season so will he be the replacement for Hastie?

Hoping for something better as Kennedy hasn't really set the heather alight at Raith, ICT or Dunfermline

23 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

This article suggests that prior to the St Johnstone bid there were bids from 2 or 3 other clubs. However bids have not matched our valuation of Rudden and have been rejected.

The article also says we are working hard to re-sign Rudden as his contract ends in the summer.

What price we sell Rudden (if our valuation is met and as an alternative to losing him in the summer gor nothing) and use the money to buy 2 or 3 'quality' players? Is Rudden actually worth the amount of money that would enable us to do this?

14 hours ago, laukat said:

Hoping for something better as Kennedy hasn't really set the heather alight at Raith, ICT or Dunfermline

He's only 19. So I suppose game time is as important as his individual performance. Anyway he's under contract to sevco for another 18 months. Plus if I mind right he's right sided when it's a leftie we really need.

edited to add re Rudden. If there's serious competition to sign him we should probably let him go. Better getting a decent return financially than letting him sign a pre contract and move for hee haw in the summer.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

6 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

He's only 19. So I suppose game time is as important as his individual performance. Anyway he's under contract to sevco for another 18 months. Plus if I mind right he's right sided when it's a leftie we really need.

edited to add re Rudden. If there's serious competition to sign him we should probably let him go. Better getting a decent return financially than letting him sign a pre contract and move for hee haw in the summer.

I’d he wants to stay, I’d be pleased if he signed a new contract. 

if not, how much should we demand now?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

This article suggests that prior to the St Johnstone bid there were bids from 2 or 3 other clubs. However bids have not matched our valuation of Rudden and have been rejected.

The article also says we are working hard to re-sign Rudden as his contract ends in the summer.

What price we sell Rudden (if our valuation is met and as an alternative to losing him in the summer gor nothing) and use the money to buy 2 or 3 'quality' players? Is Rudden actually worth the amount of money that would enable us to do this?

He hasn’t signed the offer from us that’s apparently been on the table since the beginning of the season, so he’s unlikely to sign for us now.  Like you say, it’s unlikely to be sufficient for 2-3 quality additions especially if we’re looking to sign players who can play in the top league. 

35 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

He’s only 21, so any Scottish club would have to pay us in the summer.

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

He’s only 21, so any Scottish club would have to pay us in the summer.

Don’t think there is going to be a big financial gain for PTFC for a player in the last 6 months of his contract and with a percentage going to Sevco unfortunately.

Might be better to hold onto Zak Rudden till the end of the season , the last thing we want in this transfer window is to end up weaker as a team .

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AirdrieJag said:

I suspect Rudden is on his way out.   As long as we can replace him,  I wouldn't be unhappy to see him go.  8 goals in 23 starts this season tells its own story. 

Not sure it does 1 in 3 isn’t that bad 

The games when Zak Rudden doesn’t play ( Arbroath for example) we play one dimensional football,no pace in the team , no forward getting behind the opposition back four and no closing down of defenders.

Think there is more to Zak Rudden’s game than just scoring goals .

3 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Don’t think there is going to be a big financial gain for PTFC for a player in the last 6 months of his contract and with a percentage going to Sevco unfortunately.

Is that the case? I thought sevco held an option on Rudden if/when he became available. I didn't think they had a sell on clause. I'm usually wrong about these sort of things, tho'.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Not sure it does 1 in 3 isn’t that bad 

The games when Zak Rudden doesn’t play ( Arbroath for example) we play one dimensional football,no pace in the team , no forward getting behind the opposition back four and no closing down of defenders.

Think there is more to Zak Rudden’s game than just scoring goals .

Would agree with this. As i said in a earlier post it is his consistency and at 21 he will improve on that.

1 minute ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Is that the case? I thought sevco held an option on Rudden if/when he became available. I didn't think they had a sell on clause. I'm usually wrong about these sort of things, tho'.

The phrase i remember being used when he signed for us was that Rangers would remain having an interest in him. I was never sure exactly what was meant by that.

32 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

The phrase i remember being used when he signed for us was that Rangers would remain having an interest in him. I was never sure exactly what was meant by that.

I heard somewhere that they had the option to buy him back in summer 2021 when he would have been playing for us for 18 months had everything been normal. If that is the case I'm not sure if the option has now expired.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dpj said:

I heard somewhere that they had the option to buy him back in summer 2021 when he would have been playing for us for 18 months had everything been normal. If that is the case I'm not sure if the option has now expired.

Reported in the Daily Record Jan 20 , Rangers would get a small fee if he was moved on if you can believe the Daily Record !

58 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Don’t think Rangers wouldn’t have put a sell on clause in the Zak Rudden deal and any future deals as well .

It was reported at the time we only paid a nominal fee for him with Rangers having the option to take him back after 18 months which they obviously didn’t.

I agree with McCall that he’s still young and learning his trade. He’s had spells of injury also so he’s fairly inexperienced.

Part of a manager’s remit is to improve players as Maloney has mentioned in relation to Nisbet.

If Zak was to stay with us the I believe that playing in a promotion chasing team with terrific spirit in the camp and a manager committed to improving aspects of his play such as holding up and winning headers, this would be beneficial to him in the long run.

Entend!

On 1/1/2022 at 8:39 PM, Weebaw1 said:

I agree with McCall that he’s still young and learning his trade. He’s had spells of injury also so he’s fairly inexperienced.

Part of a manager’s remit is to improve players as Maloney has mentioned in relation to Nisbet.

If Zak was to stay with us the I believe that playing in a promotion chasing team with terrific spirit in the camp and a manager committed to improving aspects of his play such as holding up and winning headers, this would be beneficial to him in the long run.

Entend!

The problem though is that players often don't see the benefits of staying with a club. For them the grass is generally greener elsewhere.

I haven't made my mind up about Rudden. He has many endearing qualities and I am sure under McCall he will improve. However at times it seems his movement is very awkward and he doesn't seem to have much in the way of stamina.

On the few occasions I have seen him, McIver seems to move much quicker and is much stronger than Rudden. His goalscoring isn't so great but much thrcsame was said about Rudden last season then he hit a good run! Perhaps an extended run in the team would help mcIver in the same way it helped Rudden!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, exiledjag said:

The problem though is that players often don't see the benefits of staying with a club. For them the grass is generally greener elsewhere.

I haven't made my mind up about Rudden. He has many endearing qualities and I am sure under McCall he will improve. However at times it seems his movement is very awkward and he doesn't seem to have much in the way of stamina.

On the few occasions I have seen him, McIver seems to move much quicker and is much stronger than Rudden. His goalscoring isn't so great but much thrcsame was said about Rudden last season then he hit a good run! Perhaps an extended run in the team would help mcIver in the same way it helped Rudden!

If I was a player I would always want to play at the highest level I could. I don’t get this “another 2 or 3 years with us” argument. It’s a short career, so make the most while you can

• Like 1

I think it’s likely  Rudden will move on in this window. Whenever I’ve heard him speaking he’s never given the impression he would be at firhill beyond his current contract, which is fair enough. Undoubtedly there is a player there but in a significant proportion of games he doesn’t contribute enough. Take the cash and re-invest in the team. 

• Like 2