January Transfer Window

javeajag

22 minutes ago, ironfist said:

I think it’s likely  Rudden will move on in this window. Whenever I’ve heard him speaking he’s never given the impression he would be at firhill beyond his current contract, which is fair enough. Undoubtedly there is a player there but in a significant proportion of games he doesn’t contribute enough. Take the cash and re-invest in the team. 

Guy on Sky Sports reckons St. Johnstone will be back in for Rudden.

1 hour ago, ironfist said:

I think it’s likely  Rudden will move on in this window. Whenever I’ve heard him speaking he’s never given the impression he would be at firhill beyond his current contract, which is fair enough. Undoubtedly there is a player there but in a significant proportion of games he doesn’t contribute enough. Take the cash and re-invest in the team. 

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

If I was a player I would always want to play at the highest level I could. I don’t get this “another 2 or 3 years with us” argument. It’s a short career, so make the most while you can

Whilst I agree, and it may be part of what you mean, the financial side of things may be the overriding factor. Sitting on St Johnstone's bench, or not even getting a game at all, may be insignificant in comparison to receiving a higher wage, signing on fee and decent length of contract. If the latter is in place and he's not cutting the mustard, the worst that'll happen is he'll be loaned out to a Championship side most likely. 

The "another year or so with us" argument could easily make sense to a player who's both realistic about his current standard of play and has complete faith in his ability to improve considerably during that period. I'd suggest these players would be in the minority.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Whilst I agree, and it may be part of what you mean, the financial side of things may be the overriding factor. Sitting on St Johnstone's bench, or not even getting a game at all, may be insignificant in comparison to receiving a higher wage, signing on fee and decent length of contract. If the latter is in place and he's not cutting the mustard, the worst that'll happen is he'll be loaned out to a Championship side most likely. 

The "another year or so with us" argument could easily make sense to a player who's both realistic about his current standard of play and has complete faith in his ability to improve considerably during that period. I'd suggest these players would be in the minority.

This

Is it worth while bringing Blair Lyons back early from his loan spell at Montrose. He scored 2 goals yesterday and also scored a week or so ago. He only has 6 months left on his contract with us, wouldn't like to see us let his contract run down, he goes to some other team in the championship and ends up doing the business for them. I do realise he has done nothing anytime he played for us.

6 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Is it worth while bringing Blair Lyons back early from his loan spell at Montrose. He scored 2 goals yesterday and also scored a week or so ago. He only has 6 months left on his contract with us, wouldn't like to see us let his contract run down, he goes to some other team in the championship and ends up doing the business for them. I do realise he has done nothing anytime he played for us.

He also went well over 20 games without scoring. Don't think we need Blair Lyons and Conor Murray. I've no idea who's got the most potential of the two.

13 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Dundee might be sending Leigh Griffiths back to Celtic. Would he be an option if Rudden leaves ?

Downside is that he carries a lot of baggage and is a shadow of his former self, but surely still good enough for Championship.

If all he does is equalise his personal equation by scoring as many goals for us as he has against us, that should be enough.

We might have to put up a soft wall in front of the John Lambie Stand in case he tries to kick it again.

Surprisingly the majority of conversation on this thread is about a player leaving (Rudden) and players we don't need (Lyons, Murray) and earlier I think McIver was mentioned in this context.

I eouldnt be too bothered if Murray or Rudden left the club provided, in Rudden's case, we got some money that could be reinvested in improving the squad.

I think Lyons should be given a real chance to show what he can do, say a run of games, before we make any  decisions about him. I would like to keep McIver but thought I read on this thread that he would be going to an Irish club!

Now who are we looking to keep and to bring to the club? Akinola I think we all want to keep and the only new signing target I have read about is Maxwell (Ayr). If this is accurate then we seem to be in competition with Dunfermline who are also interested in the player.

Do we have any other signing targets?

28 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Surprisingly the majority of conversation on this thread is about a player leaving (Rudden) and players we don't need (Lyons, Murray) and earlier I think McIver was mentioned in this context.

I eouldnt be too bothered if Murray or Rudden left the club provided, in Rudden's case, we got some money that could be reinvested in improving the squad.

I think Lyons should be given a real chance to show what he can do, say a run of games, before we make any  decisions about him. I would like to keep McIver but thought I read on this thread that he would be going to an Irish club!

Now who are we looking to keep and to bring to the club? Akinola I think we all want to keep and the only new signing target I have read about is Maxwell (Ayr). If this is accurate then we seem to be in competition with Dunfermline who are also interested in the player.

Do we have any other signing targets?

Leeds also want Maxwell for their U-23 squad.

1 minute ago, Auld Jag said:

I wouldn't want Griffiths because of the baggage, he is imo a shadow of his former self, unlike McDonald and Miller who did look after themselves. In saying that i would not be surprised to see Griffiths end up at Livingston  or St. Mirren.

Or Kilmarnock. McInnes is a known admirer of Griffiths and he would be a landmark first signing. 

21 minutes ago, jaggymct said:

Nadir Ciftci has just been signed by St Johnstone, maybe the end of pursuit of Rudden for now from them, and its a no way to Griffith for me.

The fact that Rudden hasn't signed an offer of a new contract that seemingly has been on the table for a while, tells me he wants to be somewhere else next season. We should take a half decent offer for him and move on.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

The fact that Rudden hasn't signed an offer of a new contract that seemingly has been on the table for a while, tells me he wants to be somewhere else next season. We should take a half decent offer for him and move on.

Agree, if he doesn't move this month he will leave at the end of the season and all we will get will be training compensation iirc. We will need somebody into replace him if he goes this month and we already need back up for him and Graham, so would best if he moved in the next week to give us time to get a replacement in.