January Transfer Window

javeajag

I think Crawford's signing looks like decent business.

One of the things we missed was someone to put pressure on Bannigan and Docherty. Gordon was never going to do that and Crawford clearly looks like an upgrade on Gordon. Turner is more likely to play the advanced midfield role alongside Bannigan and Docherty.

Ayr fans describe him as a box to box midfielder and Motherwell used him a the holding midfielder so he should be able to provide a challenge to both. Ayr fans also saying  he played on the left wing so looke like He's only 27 so probably not a Darian MacKinnon. Also moving on a 6 month contract is fairly bold when he could have either moved on loan or sat it out at Motherwell until the summer suggests he's keen to get a chance and probably linking up with McCall again was key to his decision.

Ayr fans also mention that McCall played Crawford on the left and whilst it wasn't his best position it does suggest he can fill in across most midfield positions.

With Sneddon signed up and assuming we can hold onto Akinola and Rudden until at least the summer, we really just need a wide player or two and a better backup striker than MacIver to develop into Rudden's replacement.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 9:15 AM, Duke Gekantawa said:

I'm surprised that any Thistle fan thinks this. A better than 1 in 3 striker is certainly a rarity for us, we've had countless strikers over the past 10 years or so that have got nowhere near 1 in 3.

In fact, 1 in 3 is a decent return for any striker. Doolan was "only" ever a 1 in 3 striker, for example.

Without looking too far back …. Scott McDonald 6 goals in 12 games. Brian Graham 23 in 43.

As a goal scorer, Rudden has been fine, pretty average for us, but no more than that and is far from irreplaceable 

18 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Great news about Tunji. Re Rudden he does bring more to the team than scoring goals. He never hides and always puts defenders under pressure. His biggest problem is doing it consistently .

Agree. His pass while being fouled and going to ground, that set up Murray for the 5th v Hamilton last time was exceptional. However as a striker, he is measured by his goal rate which needs to improve 

A week of nothing then a  burst of activity - Snedden, Crawford and Alinola! 

Gets the excitement levels up, doesn't it!

To those 'in the know' can we expect anymore signings?

With these signings/extensions I would like us to play:

Sneddon

Akinola/Mayo/Holt

Foster/Crawford/Turner/Docherty/Tiffoney

Rudden (or McIver)/Graham

Bannigan on the bench to give him a rest plus as much as I like him he is not direct enough in his play.

Formation is largely guesswork on my part as I don't know much about Crawford and is to some extent  contrived to get Turner into an attacking central midfield role. 

Of course more signings and it's all change.