January Transfer Window

javeajag

I don't know how it will work out with Rudden but what I do know is whatever happens the club will get stick from some quarter. Let him go and we are lacking ambition, keep him and we don't get promoted we have lost on money, etc.

Also, and this is a more general point, how are transfer values calculated? Do we just say he is worth £X and unless a club pays that then tough? Is there still a tribunal system that works out what is fair? When you see Clyde fans saying they should accept nothing less than £100,000 for Goodwillie it just makes you wonder.

Not so sure Rudden is ready for the premier league yesterday he was largely anonymous and the chances he didn't make the most of the chances he had before he scored. Genuinely think he is a player that needs at least the remainder of this season at this level to develop and establish his reputation.

If he does go the a premiership club he's going to have to be careful which one he chooses.

Going to a struggling St Johnstone side who have just signed Ciftci and have a few other strikers could mean struggling for game time in a team that doesn't create a lot of chances and gets relagated.

Going to a team like Motherwell is also a gamble. They have a main striker in Van Veen so again Rudden may struggle for game time.

Rudden clearly has talent but its still in the early stages and I can't think of a premier league manager who is going to be as patient and supportive as McCall has been with him

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I don't know how it will work out with Rudden but what I do know is whatever happens the club will get stick from some quarter. Let him go and we are lacking ambition, keep him and we don't get promoted we have lost on money, etc.

Also, and this is a more general point, how are transfer values calculated? Do we just say he is worth £X and unless a club pays that then tough? Is there still a tribunal system that works out what is fair? When you see Clyde fans saying they should accept nothing less than £100,000 for Goodwillie it just makes you wonder.

As I see it if only one club was in for Rudden they'd make a token offer. If we knocked it back they'd most likely offer Rudden a pre contract* and sign him for keeps in the summer. Once two or more clubs try to sign him market forces kick in. We'd almost certainly receive monies in excess of his true value (relatively little with only half a season remaining). That of course being dependent on the highest bidding club being acceptable to the player.

*In the case of St Johnstone I'd imagine any pre contract agreement would contain a relegation opt out clause. That may be immaterial as St J want a striker immediately. Conversely we could (possibly have done) offer Rudden a deal dependent on us playing top tier football next season. 

Re Goodwillie, if he wasn't toxic and even at his age I'd imagine a number of clubs would be looking at him. He's the type of player that's likely to score goals at a higher level simply as he'd be playing with better players.

33 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

As I see it if only one club was in for Rudden they'd make a token offer. If we knocked it back they'd most likely offer Rudden a pre contract* and sign him for keeps in the summer. Once two or more clubs try to sign him market forces kick in. We'd almost certainly receive monies in excess of his true value (relatively little with only half a season remaining). That of course being dependent on the highest bidding club being acceptable to the player.

*In the case of St Johnstone I'd imagine any pre contract agreement would contain a relegation opt out clause. That may be immaterial as St J want a striker immediately. Conversely we could (possibly have done) offer Rudden a deal dependent on us playing top tier football next season. 

Re Goodwillie, if he wasn't toxic and even at his age I'd imagine a number of clubs would be looking at him. He's the type of player that's likely to score goals at a higher level simply as he'd be playing with better players.

Re Goodwillie. Apparently both Raith Rovers and Falkirk made bids.

6 hours ago, laukat said:

6 hours ago, laukat said:

Not so sure Rudden is ready for the premier league yesterday he was largely anonymous and the chances he didn't make the most of the chances he had before he scored. Genuinely think he is a player that needs at least the remainder of this season at this level to develop and establish his reputation.

If he does go the a premiership club he's going to have to be careful which one he chooses.

Going to a struggling St Johnstone side who have just signed Ciftci and have a few other strikers could mean struggling for game time in a team that doesn't create a lot of chances and gets relagated.

Going to a team like Motherwell is also a gamble. They have a main striker in Van Veen so again Rudden may struggle for game time.

Rudden clearly has talent but its still in the early stages and I can't think of a premier league manager who is going to be as patient and supportive as McCall has been with him

You’re 100% correct with your post, although I think there is development still to be had in Zak Rudden.

Watched Zak yesterday, don’t think he won a header all day or even held the ball up to link play .

If he joined St Johnstone, can’t see him playing before Stevie May , O’halloran or Chris Kane who were all on the bench in recent weeks.

IMO Zak is at the level he should be playing at just now , he’s got plenty of time to play at a higher level if he develops as he’s only 20yrs old .

Edited by jlsarmy
  • Like 3

If we accepted an offer for Rudden, would we be looking at Nathan Austin at Kelty? I’ve heard McCall talk about him before and I’m sure he said he tried to sign him, will we be testing the water with Kelty to see what they would accept? Dunno what wages the boy is on or what other job the guy has.

1 hour ago, jags on tour said:

If we accepted an offer for Rudden, would we be looking at Nathan Austin at Kelty? I’ve heard McCall talk about him before and I’m sure he said he tried to sign him, will we be testing the water with Kelty to see what they would accept? Dunno what wages the boy is on or what other job the guy has.

Bring back Cardle :D

from the herald 

PARTICK THISTLE striker Zak Rudden hasn’t closed the door on extending his stay at Firhill beyond the end of this season.

The former Rangers youngster is out of contract this summer and as a result, a number of clubs are eyeing his signature.

St Johnstone have already had bids knocked back by Thistle and Premiership rivals Motherwell are now weighing up an offer.

As well as the Scottish interest, three English clubs are also monitoring Rudden’s situation.

Herald and Times Sport understands that while Rudden is contracted to Thistle, Ian McCall’s side are in the driving seat to keep their star striker.

The Scottish Championship outfit have offered two extension offers, and despite a deal not being agreed, Rudden is still open to staying beyond the expiry of his current contract.

Yesterday, McCall labelled bids from St Johnstone as “daft” and insisted that clubs “need to get serious” if they want to land Rudden this January.

Saints boss Callum Davidson was in attendance at Saturday’s 2-2 draw between Hamilton and Thistle, where Rudden scored.

Rudden, 21, moved to the Jags from Rangers two years ago and has seven league goals to his name so far this term.