January Transfer Window

javeajag

Will Dundee have the money to come and buy him now and will we just reject it to piss them off? Got to think if Mwell wanted him they would’ve put in an offer after selling Watt, maybe the manager didn’t fancy him after seeing him in person last Friday? I’m almost sort of laughing at him going to Dundee, fair play he’s got a 3 yr deal and will be on higher wages but he could have done so much better. 

42 minutes ago, jags on tour said:

Will Dundee have the money to come and buy him now and will we just reject it to piss them off? Got to think if Mwell wanted him they would’ve put in an offer after selling Watt, maybe the manager didn’t fancy him after seeing him in person last Friday? I’m almost sort of laughing at him going to Dundee, fair play he’s got a 3 yr deal and will be on higher wages but he could have done so much better. 

They signed Harkins on 2 different occasions on a 3 year deal - both times they had to release him after 2 years along with a whole load of players because they had went into administration.  3 years at Dundee means little to them when they have a habit of running out of money 

• Like 1

I suspect like most Thistle fans, I am not quite convinced by Rudden...he has potential but needs to work on his game.

I think the difference in each place in the League at the end of the season is about £75,000  so I don't think there is necessarily a clear financial gain in selling him now...particularly as there is no remotely obvious candidate to replace him. 

I am also not convinced we are good enough to win the League...but I would be disappointed if we don't make the playoffs. I have rather been hoping that we would have a play-off game with Dundee...it would be sweet Kharma to relegate them...and then to send them an email.

Would we want Rudden in our side in a play-off game against Dundee?

Can’t blame him if he’s signing for more money, perhaps more money that we could offer if we were in the premier league. How many fans would turn down an enhanced contract in an employment that could see you unemployable at any time due to injury.

But given Dundees position and their recent financial history it is a risk. But if you’re his age and presented with pound signs then not surprising. 

27 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

I suspect like most Thistle fans, I am not quite convinced by Rudden...he has potential but needs to work on his game.

I think the difference in each place in the League at the end of the season is about £75,000  so I don't think there is necessarily a clear financial gain in selling him now...particularly as there is no remotely obvious candidate to replace him. 

I am also not convinced we are good enough to win the League...but I would be disappointed if we don't make the playoffs. I have rather been hoping that we would have a play-off game with Dundee...it would be sweet Kharma to relegate them...and then to send them an email.

Would we want Rudden in our side in a play-off game against Dundee?

We would be better posting a letter. E mail can go missing at Dundee, i believe. :whistling:

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Haha 4

I know what some are saying about more money and obviously most people would go if that is the case. But at 21 and still with a lot to learn imo another season at Firhill would have done him no harm. He would probably be a more consistent player by then and get a bigger and better move. Now that everybody knows i feel the best thing would be for Thistle and Dundee to do a deal and he left before the end of this window. We of course need a replacement as well.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Can’t blame him if he’s signing for more money, perhaps more money that we could offer if we were in the premier league. How many fans would turn down an enhanced contract in an employment that could see you unemployable at any time due to injury.

But given Dundees position and their recent financial history it is a risk. But if you’re his age and presented with pound signs then not surprising. 

Zak should sack his agent if that’s the best he can get , Dundee have now lost their last 6 SPFL games on the bounce , doubtful if McPake will be there this season/ next season 

So in fact I believe Zak has probably signed a pre - contract with no idea who the manager will be next season.

Maybe McCall was right about Zak’s IQ !!!!

9 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Kinda surprised at the club of his choice but I'd be just as surprised if his PCA clause doesn't have a relegation opt out.

I’ll be surprised if he’s still at Firhill at the end of January.

With Jason Cummings  going to Australia and doubts over Leigh Griffiths, I think Dundee need Zak now , hopefully we can get a few quid for him .

20 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

I’ll be surprised if he’s still at Firhill at the end of January.

With Jason Cummings  going to Australia and doubts over Leigh Griffiths, I think Dundee need Zak now , hopefully we can get a few quid for him .

If we were going to get a few quid I think we would have accepted an offer 

34 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

At the end of the day, would you be worried if we faced Rudden next season ? I wouldn’t. Tunji would have him in his pocket.

I am of the same view. While he scored a few goals, he hasn't exactly wowed me, like say Tiffoney.  Dundee can have him. Best of luck to him if he is earning far better money, but I think we have a couple of players who can cover for him until we bring someone else in. Maybe hus agent filled his head with utter guff, but he didn't seem interested in prolonging his stay at Firhill. 

17 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I am of the same view. While he scored a few goals, he hasn't exactly wowed me, like say Tiffoney.  Dundee can have him. Best of luck to him if he is earning far better money, but I think we have a couple of players who can cover for him until we bring someone else in. Maybe hus agent filled his head with utter guff, but he didn't seem interested in prolonging his stay at Firhill. 

Exactly GRE2. I don’t think it’s any great loss. He’d already mentally left Firhill, so best he goes quickly and we can get a replacement who wants to play for us. 

Thanks for the goals, Zak. But don’t let the door hit your arse on the way out.

• Like 1

I hope he's away this month. Wouldn't be that concerned if a non striker signed a PCA. When the player's main job is to score and create goals then that's another matter. Even if Rudden tries his best every missed chance of goal will be questioned. In turn that could produce an adverse effect on the player. Maybe even knock on and upset other players.

That said we're going to rely even more on Graham. Not just for goals but to play the full match more often. McIver brings some qualities to the team but leading the line ain't one of them.

With the pre contract rules clubs and to an extent players are in a difficult position. Will Zac bust a gut and potentially risk injury between now and the end of the season? If he plays today and has a nightmare that will be the accusation. Similarly will McColl want to risk playing someone who isn't 100% committed?  I'd be tempted to leave him out altogether for the rest of the season if a deal can't be done with Dundee.

17 minutes ago, fifexile said:

With the pre contract rules clubs and to an extent players are in a difficult position. Will Zac bust a gut and potentially risk injury between now and the end of the season? If he plays today and has a nightmare that will be the accusation. Similarly will McColl want to risk playing someone who isn't 100% committed?  I'd be tempted to leave him out altogether for the rest of the season if a deal can't be done with Dundee.

Exactly, its been well documented that he has sat on the fence and refused to sign a new contract. The club gave him a two and a half year deal and offered an extension to further his career at Firhill . No loyalty at all and big bucks again turns the head. McCall should drop him .

51 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I hope he's away this month. Wouldn't be that concerned if a non striker signed a PCA. When the player's main job is to score and create goals then that's another matter. Even if Rudden tries his best every missed chance of goal will be questioned. In turn that could produce an adverse effect on the player. Maybe even knock on and upset other players.

This was never a problem with Erskine. No particular reason it should be a problem with Rudden either. Most professionals  (and amateurs for that matter) want to play their best and I’ve never seen anything from Rudden to suggest his attitude is wrong. If he’s still around we should play him as we did with Erskine

• Like 1

Unless Rudden shows a bad attitude i feel just dropping him now would be pointless. We will still be paying his wages. As i said in an earlier post the best thing now would be for him to go to Dundee before the current window shuts. Should the authorities change this rule ? During the Hearts game in midweek Souttar got booed every time he touched the ball. I heard them say that in England they have to wait until there is only a month left on their contract, before they can sign for another team.

1 hour ago, fifexile said:

I suppose the opposite example of that is Doc, who signed a pre-contract with us, came to Firhill with Ayr a couple of weeks later and bossed the midfield.