January Transfer Window

javeajag

2 hours ago, jaggy said:

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/sport/football/james-mcpake-wants-zak-rudden-26024922

maybe we’ll get something? Interesting that McPake says he’s wanted him for a while

Of hecstays with us until the end of the season, hopefully his first game with Dundee will be in the Championship. 

A lot will depend on Zac himself. A demotivated player who wants to move to his new club is just going to be a liability and a drain on budgets. I assume that McCall will know what is going on in his head, but if Zac doesn't want to play for Thistle any more then best to cut our losses, save his wages and bring someone in while there is still time.

The time to get a decent fee was when there were a few clubs after him. That is no longer the case and his value is now much reduced.

18 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

The time to get a decent fee was when there were a few clubs after him. That is no longer the case and his value is now much reduced.

I don't think the number of clubs after him really makes that much a difference. He might not have been interested in joining gone of the other clubs, or all of the interested clubs may have had a similar value in mind anyway.  The fact is, he was always in the position to negotiate with other clubs and sign a PCA for whoever he wanted to sign for, so any bidding war was unlikely to happen. As soon as a club convinced him that they were the club for him, all they had to do was get him to sign a PCA to dissuade the others as Dundee has done here.

What makes a difference is how desperately Dundee want him now to bolster their survival bid.  We shall see.

Edited by Duke Gekantawa
typo

50 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

A lot will depend on Zac himself. A demotivated player who wants to move to his new club is just going to be a liability and a drain on budgets. I assume that McCall will know what is going on in his head, but if Zac doesn't want to play for Thistle any more then best to cut our losses, save his wages and bring someone in while there is still time.

I would assume that no decent fee materialised and that no bidding war actually occurred ?  Let's be honest the transfer window is a bit of a poker game and who knows what the outcome will be by the 31st January. Personally I think it is better that he goes for all parties. The issue is a decent replacement. 

• Like 1

I agree either the prevailing view in this thread. Never been convinced about Rudden, let him go, preferably sooner rather than later, and we move on.

I think now is the time to challenge McIver to strp up to the plate by letting Rudden sit on the bench gor a while and give McIver a run of games along side Graham.

I think McIver looks more of a player than Rudden, moves better and as has been said on this and other threads, is better in the air. To me he looks potentially a better all round player than Rudden. Time he was given the chance to prove it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I agree either the prevailing view in this thread. Never been convinced about Rudden, let him go, preferably sooner rather than later, and we move on.

I think now is the time to challenge McIver to strp up to the plate by letting Rudden sit on the bench gor a while and give McIver a run of games along side Graham.

I think McIver looks more of a player than Rudden, moves better and as has been said on this and other threads, is better in the air. To me he looks potentially a better all round player than Rudden. Time he was given the chance to prove it.

One difference between Rudden and McIver is the former can play lone striker to some effect whereas McIver simply can't. A lot then would depend on Graham being able to give 90 mins as a norm. Either that or we go to a default front three with Ross playing on the right of the three. I'd be hopeful if Rudden leaves we bring in a suitable replacement (or the sought after "Lawless" type to play right flank). Failing that perhaps McIver will start more often but I'm not sure that's preferable to leaving two from, Turner, Smith & Crawford on the bench.

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I never like slagging off a Thistle player, but i just don't get why Ross MacIver is the answer if Rudden goes. MacIver has scored a total of 8 goals since 2018, his best total for a team is 4 for Elgin in 2019. Imo with Rudden we still need 1 forward, without Rudden we need 2.

McIver offers better hold up play and winning headers, bringing others into play.

But he’s supposed to be a striker. Rudden is an excellent finisher.

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I never like slagging off a Thistle player, but i just don't get why Ross MacIver is the answer if Rudden goes. MacIver has scored a total of 8 goals since 2018, his best total for a team is 4 for Elgin in 2019. Imo with Rudden we still need 1 forward, without Rudden we need 2.

Spot on, McIver simply does not score goals.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

I am not saying McIver is the answer to Rudden - they are both totally different in style of play. 

What I am saying is that McIver has attributes but he has never really been given the chance to showcase himself. So give him a run of games and let's see what he can do and if hie can't do it let him go!

It wasn't that long ago that we were saying Rudden was hopeless and couldn't hit a barn door with a shotgun! He scores a few goals against League 1 opposition and he off and running. Let's see if McIver can do the same.

I don't really care if we have to change formation to do this but I don't see that we have to. Graham and Rudden have been playing as a double act so why can't Graham and McIver.

I will say again I remain unconvinced about Rudden  and not unhappy that he is leaving  - with my best wishes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

One difference between Rudden and McIver is the former can play lone striker to some effect whereas McIver simply can't. A lot then would depend on Graham being able to give 90 mins as a norm. Either that or we go to a default front three with Ross playing on the right of the three. I'd be hopeful if Rudden leaves we bring in a suitable replacement (or the sought after "Lawless" type to play right flank). Failing that perhaps McIver will start more often but I'm not sure that's preferable to leaving two from, Turner, Smith & Crawford on the bench.

That will be Smith and Crawford!

On 1/24/2022 at 3:40 PM, sandy said:

I think the ideal scenario is that the Dee take him now and we get the cash….and make a late swoop for Haaland from Dortmund

Although looking him up did reveal a potential deal from Amazon, "Low prices on Erling Haaland - Amazon.co.uk official site" :o, according to other sources rumours (Hey, it's the BILD comic!) Bayern München could be looking to offload a Polish worker on its books in order to make room for him. Maybe we could offer a place to Lewandowski alongside Brian, to see if he wants to develop his skills at our level. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Six days before the window closes…..does this mean are we now resigned to more OF loan players?

Starting to feel like trying on suits in a shop at this point….”You know the Hastie didn’t quite look right.  I’m really looking for something more like the Mayo I got last summer.  Do you have anything like that in stock?”

37 minutes ago, ChiThistle said:

Six days before the window closes…..does this mean are we now resigned to more OF loan players?

Starting to feel like trying on suits in a shop at this point….”You know the Hastie didn’t quite look right.  I’m really looking for something more like the Mayo I got last summer.  Do you have anything like that in stock?”

I was never expecting anything to happen before next week. We will not be at the top of the picks for any players looking for a January move, so any that are interested are likely to be weighing up all of their options. I would not be in the slightest bit surprised to see loan players arriving. We don't have money to spend on any players who are currently contracted to another club.

If he can’t get a right winger in will we be looking to get Blair Lyons back to give him a shot? He never had a consistent run in the team due to the form of Cardle last season, he didn’t look like he was up to much from watching the streams but is he worth another try? I think he’s out of contract in the summer aswell so we’d be aswell as punting him if he isn’t coming back in this window.

On 1/24/2022 at 4:40 PM, sandy said:

I think the ideal scenario is that the Dee take him now and we get the cash….and make a late swoop for Haaland from Dortmund

He’d fit in well, as he’s currently injured. I did ask him last time I met him out in Bryne when his career would take him to Maryhill, just laughed. He’d be an ideal replacement for Rudden as he’s also daft as a brush

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

He’d fit in well, as he’s currently injured. I did ask him last time I met him out in Bryne when his career would take him to Maryhill, just laughed. He’d be an ideal replacement for Rudden as he’s also daft as a brush

I’m just not sure how his Alice Band will go down in Maryhill