January Transfer Window

javeajag

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Because a famous author (don’t ask me to spell her name) brought it into the public domain. Nobody noticed when he went to Clyde so it was under the radar.

Edit - but if Clyde try to bring him back, just watch the flack he will get. No chance him playing in Scotland again now.

Sorry but this is not accurate. When Clyde signed  Goodwillie there was a similar public outcry and expressions of disgust even by some Clyde fans.

The public reaction and disapproval was such that the Clyde Board issued a pathetic statement about giving this young man a second chance and thereby immediately attempted to claim the high moral ground. The controversy rumbled on for weeks.

The difference between the two clubs was that Clyde were already at an all time low so there wasn't the same internal rebellion from fans, sponsors or other stakeholders that we have seen at RRs.

I recall a few Clyde fans throwing in the towel but as the Club was well on its way to oblivion I think the majority of fans were prepared to tolerate the signing in the hope the player could help arrest the decline.

RRs on the other hand are on the up, albeit stuttering a little bit at the moment.

Both clubs though have something in common in that they have sacrificed their values,  principles and reputations to sign a player who in normal circumstances wouldn't even look at them.

As Clyde are now a mid table League One Club it could be argued that signing Goodwillie was a  success.

Another common factor is that neither Club gave a thought to the impact of their actions on the young woman involved - the victim of the rape.

When Goodwillie,s record is taken into account, convictions for violent  assualt in 2008, 2009 and 2012 (the latter for an incident which took place in 2010), then the rape incident in 2011 I fail to see how this individual deserves any sympathy. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ironfist said:

He has never been convicted of rape in a criminal court. The standard of evidence for a civil case is different and the decision was made by one judge on the balance of probability rather than a jury agreeing beyond reasonable doubt. Can’t help but think that the scenario is maybe not a million miles away from the accusations levelled at ciaran McKenna once upon a time. He said consensual, she said not…..should we punish him forever more too?

I urge you to read the full judgement decision. It's a slog, but it is damning and I am sure will leave you in know doubt of their guilt. That they were never convicted is more a problem with the scots criminal law re rape (for which conviction rates are notoriously low), than a vindication for DG/DR

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/judgment?id=d22e28a7-8980-69d2-b500-ff0000d74aa7

Edited by Duke Gekantawa
typo

1 hour ago, ironfist said:

He has never been convicted of rape in a criminal court. The standard of evidence for a civil case is different and the decision was made by one judge on the balance of probability rather than a jury agreeing beyond reasonable doubt. Can’t help but think that the scenario is maybe not a million miles away from the accusations levelled at ciaran McKenna once upon a time. He said consensual, she said not…..should we punish him forever more too?

No, 4 judges. They appealed it and 3 more judges agreed with the first.

17 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Sorry but this is not accurate. When Clyde signed  Goodwillie there was a similar public outcry and expressions of disgust even by some Clyde fans.

The public reaction and disapproval was such that the Clyde Board issued a pathetic statement about giving this young man a second chance and thereby immediately attempted to claim the high moral ground. The controversy rumbled on for weeks.

The difference between the two clubs was that Clyde were already at an all time low so there wasn't the same internal rebellion from fans, sponsors or other stakeholders that we have seen at RRs.

I recall a few Clyde fans throwing in the towel but as the Club was well on its way to oblivion I think the majority of fans were prepared to tolerate the signing in the hope the player could help arrest the decline.

RRs on the other hand are on the up, albeit stuttering a little bit at the moment.

Both clubs though have something in common in that they have sacrificed their values,  principles and reputations to sign a player who in normal circumstances wouldn't even look at them.

As Clyde are now a mid table League One Club it could be argued that signing Goodwillie was a  success.

Another common factor is that neither Club gave a thought to the impact of their actions on the young woman involved - the victim of the rape.

When Goodwillie,s record is taken into account, convictions for violent  assualt in 2008, 2009 and 2012 (the latter for an incident which took place in 2010), then the rape incident in 2011 I fail to see how this individual deserves any sympathy. 

Great post.

Not making any point re character and morals. Goodwillie had scored 15 of Clyde's 29 goals this season (his goals representing 10 points).  Without his goals (no idea re assists) Clyde would be in the relegation play off spot. Prior to that (again going on his goals alone) he may have been expendable with regards to Clyde's promotion and League One survival. 

The idea that because he didn’t face criminal prosecution somehow makes him innocent or negates his actions is a dubious defence. The number of rape cases which make it to Scottish courts are - and have been for years - pathetically low and it would seem that crimes of violence against women are generally poorly pursued by our system of justice. So the system has made it more difficult for, predominantly, men to be tried in a criminal court for the rape of women.  All we know is that when the case was put in front of a judge, he was found guilty. It was not the victims fault that this was in a civil and not a criminal court.

19 hours ago, ironfist said:

The scenario with McKenna is that he was ' falsely' accused. Cleared by a judge. He then had battles with his university, who, believed him, but still suspended him because they feared a perceived backlash. He appealed and won, after a second suspension, and got an out of court settlement.  An entirely different situation. Try and read up on it. It may open your mind a bit!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

The scenario with McKenna is that he was ' falsely' accused. Cleared by a judge. He then had battles with his university, who, believed him, but still suspended him because they feared a perceived backlash. He appealed and won, after a second suspension, and got an out of court settlement.  An entirely different situation. Try and read up on it. It may open your mind a bit!

That is not what happened. A quick google search will tell you that, though to be frank I seriously doubt your ability to do even that. 

1 hour ago, ironfist said:

That is not what happened. A quick google search will tell you that, though to be frank I seriously doubt your ability to do even that. 

The only lack of ability on here is your own in failing to understand the severity of Goodwillie's offence. You seem to be wanting to defend him. Regards McKenna, he had consensual sex with the female in question. She then three months later told Duke University chiefs the he had attacked her.  Although she was not believed the University suspended him. On appeal he lost and it was extended. He filed a lawsuit, which a judge found in his favour and the ban was overturned and compensation was settled out of court. The law professor who helped him said the judges decision was as close you can come to complete exoneration. How on earth you can compare all of that with the Goodwillie case is utterly incomprehensible. You really should open your blinkered male chauvinistic eyes to what is in front of you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Who?

3 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

And Dundee lose. Hahahaha

What I call a perfect scenario!

Given that they are now in sole possession of bottom spot of the SPL 'on merit' I wonder if McPake, Neames etc are considering a bid for Goodwillie and perhaps Greenwood!

Could be the most potent strike force in the SPL!

31 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

What I call a perfect scenario!

Given that they are now in sole possession of bottom spot of the SPL 'on merit' I wonder if McPake, Neames etc are considering a bid for Goodwillie and perhaps Greenwood!

Could be the most potent strike force in the SPL!

Sign them, then sack McPake and appoint Grahan Rix.