January Transfer Window

javeajag

21 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

Yet another player signed for the women's team a thinks that's 5 ..Brian Graham seams more active in the window  than McCall..

The January Window foe women might be different than that for men!

Every comment I have heard from managers about the January window is that it is a difficult market in which to sign the right players. I don't quite understand why this should be the case but managers seem to be unanimous in there view of this window.

I am sure McColl is trying his best to strengthen the aqua but signing a kept sided player and a striker or two in 4 days is a big ask.

11 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

The January Window foe women might be different than that for men!

Every comment I have heard from managers about the January window is that it is a difficult market in which to sign the right players. I don't quite understand why this should be the case but managers seem to be unanimous in there view of this window.

I am sure McColl is trying his best to strengthen the squad but signing a kept sided player and a striker or two in 4 days is a big ask.

Agree. If loan deals are involved we may well be dependent on the parent club bringing in a suitable player to replace the loanee. Same problem can also arise with players we want to sign outright. Put another way, it's possible we've got deals all done and dusted but have to live in hope the selling/lending clubs get their deals done. Who knows we may have already agreed terms with Dundee re Rudden but we can't finalise the deal till we're certain of signing our targeted replacement? 

I think even a good few McCall detractors will concede that he's competent in the transfer market in terms of getting deals done. So I think it's fingers crossed but it does look a big ask.    

5 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agree. If loan deals are involved we may well be dependent on the parent club bringing in a suitable player to replace the loanee. Same problem can also arise with players we want to sign outright. Put another way, it's possible we've got deals all done and dusted but have to live in hope the selling/lending clubs get their deals done. Who knows we may have already agreed terms with Dundee re Rudden but we can't finalise the deal till we're certain of signing our targeted replacement? 

I think even a good few McCall detractors will concede that he's competent in the transfer market in terms of getting deals done. So I think it's fingers crossed but it does look a big ask.    

He gets deals done. The quality of the players is questionable and in many cases would have been better not getting the deal done.

28 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Name me a manager who has an impeccable transfer record? Does such a manager exist.....? 

Can't and no. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, which all of us football fans possess. Another reason for it being harder to get players in could be being allowed to have 9 on the bench, this could stop some clubs loaning out players.

Being said on pie and Bovril domestic loans can happen until the end of February.

Edited by Auld Jag
Extension on domestic loans.

40 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Considering he was signed as back up do you really think Hendrie has been that bad when features? Didn’t put a foot wrong last Saturday 

Perhaps, but would we have missed him if he hadn’t been there ?  He has hardly played and even Foster has gone to left back ahead of him.

We can still loan players until the end of February so while we might not get them in for Monday, there is still quite a long way to go in terms of us being able to loan players. A lot will depend on Premiership teams getting who they want in before they decide to loan out.

2 minutes ago, G SUS said:

We can still loan players until the end of February so while we might not get them in for Monday, there is still quite a long way to go in terms of us being able to loan players. A lot will depend on Premiership teams getting who they want in before they decide to loan out.

Going to be much harder next year with the new rule where any club can only have a total of 4 loans in and 4 out at any point in time.

I'd say at the moment McCalls good signings outweigh the poorer ones. Our form for the last year had been pretty impressive as witnessed by losing very few games overall. Do we need a few more quality players? Yep. Is the window closed? No. Have we exceeded expectations in this division? Yes. Could we get promoted Maybe.  I'm pretty happy with that so far. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Going to be much harder next year with the new rule where any club can only have a total of 4 loans in and 4 out at any point in time.

That’s not too dissimilar to this season. We can have five in at once, though not sure on a cap for outgoings(where did you see that?) but it does place a greater emphasis on playing players when they come to our club and picking your loans carefully - but we’ll deal with that next year.

9 minutes ago, G SUS said:

That’s not too dissimilar to this season. We can have five in at once, though not sure on a cap for outgoings(where did you see that?) but it does place a greater emphasis on playing players when they come to our club and picking your loans carefully - but we’ll deal with that next year.

https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/organisation/media-releases/fifa-to-introduce-new-loan-regulations

I did slightly misread it, it is a maximum of 3 between the same clubs. The maximum total for a single club is 8, reducing to 6 over the next 2 years.

The point I was making is that with OF being limited in the number they can loan out, there will be fewer loan players available.

Edit- It might well kill off the loan before you buy deals.

Edited by Dick Dastardly

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Considering he was signed as back up do you really think Hendrie has been that bad when features? Didn’t put a foot wrong last Saturday 

Agreed - I’d more than happily keep Hendrie for next season.  As with Stone and McKenna, the guys who have been playing in front of them have been undroppable 

8 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/organisation/media-releases/fifa-to-introduce-new-loan-regulations

I did slightly misread it, it is a maximum of 3 between the same clubs. The maximum total for a single club is 8, reducing to 6 over the next 2 years.

The point I was making is that with OF being limited in the number they can loan out, there will be fewer loan players available.

Edit- It might well kill off the loan before you buy deals.

These are cross-border rules to start with (although it does say domestic rules are to be brought in line within 3 years) and that players 21 and under or club-trained are exempt.

It's designed to stop the likes of Chelsea (who had 48 players out on loan in 2018-19) and Man City stockpiling players, loaning them out for years at a time and then selling them. 

Looks like Rudden will be sold by Monday

https://www.thenational.scot/sport/19879713.ian-mccall-expects-zak-rudden-talks-dundee-go-wire/

As for the potential new arrivals at Firhill, McCall is looking to reinforce his attacking options.

“Maybe not a winger but certainly a wider player,” the Jags manager said of his transfer targets. “Listen, maybe two strikers as well – so yeah, we’re making progress.

Edited by JAG1970

10 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Looks like Rudden will be sold by Monday

https://www.thenational.scot/sport/19879713.ian-mccall-expects-zak-rudden-talks-dundee-go-wire/

As for the potential new arrivals at Firhill, McCall is looking to reinforce his attacking options.

Maybe not a winger but certainly a wider player,” the Jags manager said of his transfer targets. “Listen, maybe two strikers as well – so yeah, we’re making progress.

Does the description in bold not suggest someone like James Maxwell who's on loan at Ayr? We were rumoured to be after him in earlier in the window and he is a wide left player but not a winger.

1 hour ago, laukat said:

Does the description in bold not suggest someone like James Maxwell who's on loan at Ayr? We were rumoured to be after him in earlier in the window and he is a wide left player but not a winger.

Think IMC is/was also already interested in the lad he's knows at Livingston, ex-Ayr, Forrest? But I think there is interest in him from others too plus Livi may want to keep him. Think he's out of contract at the end of the season. 

1 hour ago, JAG1970 said:

Think IMC is/was also already interested in the lad he's knows at Livingston, ex-Ayr, Forrest? But I think there is interest in him from others too plus Livi may want to keep him. Think he's out of contract at the end of the season. 

St Johnstone agreed a transfer fee with Livi for Forrest but Forrest rejected the move. Can't see us being able to get him this window if a transfer fee is involved however it did cross my mind that we might be able to agree a PCA with him.

19 minutes ago, laukat said:

St Johnstone agreed a transfer fee with Livi for Forrest but Forrest rejected the move. Can't see us being able to get him this window if a transfer fee is involved however it did cross my mind that we might be able to agree a PCA with him.

Forrest is right sided so I think your shout about Maxwell is likelier.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

17 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Perhaps, but would we have missed him if he hadn’t been there ?  He has hardly played and even Foster has gone to left back ahead of him.

All ifs and buts if someone like Foster had been injured and we hadnt backup people would have been complaining about the managers failure to get back up.

Also stone was signed because we needed a back up.  The fact that Sneddon has been undroppable and well and truly shut up previous critics like me - was not entirely predictable.  Either way we needed at least a backup goalie and Stone was to intents and purposes that backup goalie.  Again if we hadnt and Sneddon got injured the manager would again have got it in the neck for not signing a back up goalkeeper

• Like 1