January Transfer Window

javeajag

On 12/4/2021 at 10:21 AM, Fawlty Towers said:

“If the right player becomes available that can help us over a longer period then we might do something ........... I can only see maybe one coming in, maybe two

So it's not just Hastie who will be leaving..  and his reference to longer period = premier league. How many of the current squad could play in the top league I wonder, but getting ahead of myself! 

Edited by JAG1970

2 hours ago, Flycatcher said:

My worry is players leaving as.....

St Johnstone,Livingston and St Mirran ( who seem to be having a civil war in the boardroom )

All if them trying to boost away from Ross County.

With the raising of wages and a higher media profile it maybe too much some to say no .....

We are a selling club. Always have been,usually for a pittance, so what's new?

8 hours ago, Flycatcher said:

My worry is players leaving as.....

St Johnstone,Livingston and St Mirran ( who seem to be having a civil war in the boardroom )

All if them trying to boost away from Ross County.

With the raising of wages and a higher media profile it maybe too much some to say no .....

Although I think this is the best squad we have had for sometime I am struggling to think of any player, not including loanees (Mayo & Akinola), who could play in the SPL.

Bannigan, Graham, Foster and Holt have SPL experience but I doubt a current SPL club would try to sign any of them in the January window.

With the possibly exception of Tiffoney, I think the rest of our squad in work in progress.

In terms of who we might sign Connolly (QotS) and McKenna (Arbroath) look good but doubt if either will be available during the window.

7 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Although I think this is the best squad we have had for sometime I am struggling to think of any player, not including loanees (Mayo & Akinola), who could play in the SPL.

Bannigan, Graham, Foster and Holt have SPL experience but I doubt a current SPL club would try to sign any of them in the January window.

With the possibly exception of Tiffoney, I think the rest of our squad in work in progress.

In terms of who we might sign Connolly (QotS) and McKenna (Arbroath) look good but doubt if either will be available during the window.

Tunji isn't a loanee. He signed a one year contract earlier this year.  Ian McCall said last weekend that he hoped Tunji, Zak and Jamie Sneddon would all sign contract extensions soon.  What a Christmas present  that will be!!

9 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Tend to go along with that. By and large the squad we've assembled is easily capable of promotion thru the play offs.  Unfortunately I believe we've very few players that could take the step up at ease. Maybe got around six who you could consider top tier squad players, Contrast that with the 12/13 squad and it doesn't make a happy comparison. That said I'll be chuffed to bits if we are faced with that problem come May.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Tend to go along with that. By and large the squad we've assembled is easily capable of promotion thru the play offs.  Unfortunately I believe we've very few players that could take the step up at ease. Maybe got around six who you could consider top tier squad players, Contrast that with the 12/13 squad and it doesn't make a happy comparison. That said I'll be chuffed to bits if we are faced with that problem come May.

Referring to final sentence - "so say we all"

5 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

That said it took until the 2nd last game, I think, to secure safety.

16 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I thought the post was about the players that are ready to play in the premiership ? Maybe, I have picked it up wrong - not unusual 

I was comparing the 12/13 squad with current. The former contained players that did hold their own in the top tier for a season or two at least. Eg Doolan, Lawless, SOD, ATS, Bannigan, Welsh. Unfortunately I don't believe we've anything like the same potential within today's squad. Btw that's just observation not criticism.

6 hours ago, Fearchar said:

Sometimes the whole is more than the sum of its parts - especially when it's managed well.

This in relation to the 12/13 side.

Archie may well have got us over the line after a winter stutter - and absolute praise for that achievement is both due and deserved.

By the same standard, it is also due and deserved to the man who identified and secured the component parts of that squad that weren't already signed before his tenure.

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I was comparing the 12/13 squad with current. The former contained players that did hold their own in the top tier for a season or two at least. Eg Doolan, Lawless, SOD, ATS, Bannigan, Welsh. Unfortunately I don't believe we've anything like the same potential within today's squad. Btw that's just observation not criticism.

I agree with you. But was just making the point that the squad we had only just survived that 1st season. 

5 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I agree with you. But was just making the point that the squad we had only just survived that 1st season. 

And much of that was thanks to being bolstered by the inspired loan signing of Lyle Taylor. The other loan signings perhaps made less of an impression. Lee Mair did have a vital role, although I think that he was a half-season temporary signing rather than a loan.

Unless he can find 11 players, there is not much point in bothering about this window. We are so far off the pace of the top 4, a couple of players won’t make any difference and we are not at any relegation risk. Best to save our money for next season.

Only worth bothering if there is a player who might help us in the Championship next season.

50 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Unless he can find 11 players, there is not much point in bothering about this window. We are so far off the pace of the top 4, a couple of players won’t make any difference and we are not at any relegation risk. Best to save our money for next season.

Only worth bothering if there is a player who might help us in the Championship next season.

Currently we are 1 point off 4th so I don't think we should just say "on well let's not try to make that up". We have seen as recently as the start of this year what a couple of additions, if the right ones, can do for you. Given this division is one in which games are generally quite tight it would not take much, in my opinion, to be able to get a shot at the play offs and in those anything can happen.

The point about finances though is one we need to think about but more so from a "empty stadiums" point. Hopefully we don't return to that situation but that is a decision outwith the club's hands and the Scottish Government will do what they think is required so let's hope, for a multitude of reasons, we can get the new variant under control soon.