Lewis Mayo scores v Hamilton Academical 20.11.2021

Camallain

Great delivery from Turner! He fairly billeted that ball to a specific area and Mayo did well getting into the right spot.

The power in the delivery meant Mayo just had to guide the ball to the target and he did that beautifully.

What a change from those high, slow,  looping corner kick we used to see.

9 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Great delivery from Turner! He fairly billeted that ball to a specific area and Mayo did well getting into the right spot.

The power in the delivery meant Mayo just had to guide the ball to the target and he did that beautifully.

What a change from those high, slow,  looping corner kick we used to see.

Somehow gotta start Turner and keep him on. If the opposition goalie is the least bit shaky his in-swinger corners can cause havoc. His out-swingers (as said above) are most often bulleted to a target area and the likely napper of a Graham, Holt or Mayo. Turner's low trajectory pacy deliveries are of a relatively constant high quality.

Personally I  don't think of Turner as anything like a one trick pony. I think he's tidy and creative in tight central areas and, tho' far from ideal, not too lost when deployed on the right flank. His "fault" isn't a fault as such but more than the fact he's a contributor to a light-weighted midfield.

One further positive element in having an effective corner taker is the likes of Tiffoney in particular doesn't always need to cut in on his right. He can simply play on his left and force a corner.  

8 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Somehow gotta start Turner and keep him on. If the opposition goalie is the least bit shaky his in-swinger corners can cause havoc. His out-swingers (as said above) are most often bulleted to a target area and the likely napper of a Graham, Holt or Mayo. Turner's low trajectory pacy deliveries are of a relatively constant high quality.

Personally I  don't think of Turner as anything like a one trick pony. I think he's tidy and creative in tight central areas and, tho' far from ideal, not too lost when deployed on the right flank. His "fault" isn't a fault as such but more than the fact he's a contributor to a light-weighted midfield.

One further positive element in having an effective corner taker is the likes of Tiffoney in particular doesn't always need to cut in on his right. He can simply play on his left and force a corner.  

I agree with all of the above and would like to see Turner get a run in a central midfield position. I think that might go a long way to increasing our creativity  and coping better with teams that come to Firhill and  sit in.

Unfortunately this means changing to              a 3-5-2  system as I don't see our manager dropping  Bannigan or Docherty.  Such a change in formation would also have implications for what is turning out to be a very good defensive unit.

I also considered we could play Turner in front of Bannigan and Docherty (just behind Graham and Rudden). Again though implications for the playing system and especially the organisation of our defence.

So I think for the time being Turner will have to stay wide.