Dunfermline cup game.

Auld Jag

I think the strong wind had a lot to do with it not being a great game, but it's definitely a good result for us.

Tiffoney is brilliant to watch at times; must be a nightmare for defenders.

Cracking goal; I wonder if the wind assisted it in any way.

Congratulations to Sneddon and the team on the clean-sheets record!

Finally, I love that simple navy blue top, white shorts, navy blue socks combo.

9 hours ago, stillresigned said:

I’m sure that wee Bertie will be smoking on a celestial cigar as that was a typical Bertie performance. I really think that his time at Firhill, attracted a lot  of what was in my view decidedly unwarranted criticism. In my opinion he definitely merited being mentioned in the same breath as Lambie and MacParland and that is no that bad company he’s keeping!

Yes indeed, great to see the Bertie Banner being walked round the park before the game and hope it’s up there in that vacant spot at back right of the JLS before long .

Just now, Auld Jag said:

Agree, as others have said Sneddon didn't have much to do tonight, although he did struggle with a couple of corners in the first few minutes. 

His save later on was one he'd have been upset not to make. But given the conditions and the very fact he hadn't had much to do, possibly a better save than he'll be credited.

Oh! and a shout out to all those driving home last night, especially the further east your journey. Some Pars fans in particular would've faced a nightmare trip Where I stay (in Clackmannanshire) it took me over 2 hours to do the final part of my journey. That's normally a 10 min drive. Trees and power cables were down all over the shop and I had two real narrow escapes.

I sincerely hope everyone made it home. Horrendous conditions.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 2

Was not there last night but watched the stream. In the cup it is just about winning and we did that without Foster, Mayo and Graham. Credit to Sneddon as well but I am talking about his part in our goal instead of the clean sheet. Someone had stated they wanted him to improve his distribution and last night he collected  through ball and launched it forward without hesitation which put their defence under pressure which McIver and Docherty followed up on.

With regard to Sneddon and how much credit he deserves for the shut out record. 2 saves that i can remember if he hadn't made he would not have had the record. The first one is against Dunfermline in the league 23rd October, after a rare mistake in the Thistle defence a Dunfermline player got through and one on one with Sneddon he pulled of a good save and the game ended 0-0. The following week against ICT he pulled of a good save from a penalty, again 0-0 final result. So yes it has been a team effort for the shut out record, bet if Sneddon hadn't made these saves there would be no new record.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, belfastjag said:

Woeful match. Cracking goal. Freezing. Glad I didn't bring the grandkids.

It seems to me that the team gradually thawed out as they ran about, producing a higher standard of play. Oh for a management that would follow the smart example of Simon Donnelly and Jackie McNamara and provide clothing suitable for the conditions! It's not exactly advanced sports psychology to understand that a comfortable (as opposed to a freezing) footballer is less inclined to feel the pain of a physical blow (remember the late flare-up of physicality?) and more capable of concentrating, especially in the early stages of play.

While I'm grumbling - we know the low sun can be a problem for a goalkeeper at Firhill at certain times of year: when are we ever going to wise up to this and provide our goalies with a skipped cap for use in these conditions?

Considering the conditions I thought it was a good enough game.

It took us 20 minutes to adjust to the wind but after that we totally dominated and played well.

Tiffoney was McGinn-esque.  He has a low centre of gravity these days and isn’t easy to knock off the ball. He was inviting defenders and dancing past them. I love football because of players like Tiff. 

Our central defenders were superb and Hendrie really came on to a great game.  He possibly just needs fitness and confidence.

Zak is a good finisher but must improve his hold up play.  Weight distribution is all wrong. Some coaching required!

On 11/27/2021 at 1:25 AM, Jaggernaut said:

I think the strong wind had a lot to do with it not being a great game, but it's definitely a good result for us.

Tiffoney is brilliant to watch at times; must be a nightmare for defenders.

Cracking goal; I wonder if the wind assisted it in any way.

Congratulations to Sneddon and the team on the clean-sheets record!

Finally, I love that simple navy blue top, white shorts, navy blue socks combo.

Good post. Like the final comment about the strip. Fantastic strip! My only reservation about making this  outfit our main colours is that there are already far too many teams in Scotland playing in blue and white!

9 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Good post. Like the final comment about the strip. Fantastic strip! My only reservation about making this  outfit our main colours is that there are already far too many teams in Scotland playing in blue and white!

Not sure myself but if and/or when possible we could compromise and play Scottish Cup ties in blue?????

On 11/27/2021 at 9:56 PM, Fearchar said:

It seems to me that the team gradually thawed out as they ran about, producing a higher standard of play. Oh for a management that would follow the smart example of Simon Donnelly and Jackie McNamara and provide clothing suitable for the conditions! It's not exactly advanced sports psychology to understand that a comfortable (as opposed to a freezing) footballer is less inclined to feel the pain of a physical blow (remember the late flare-up of physicality?) and more capable of concentrating, especially in the early stages of play.

While I'm grumbling - we know the low sun can be a problem for a goalkeeper at Firhill at certain times of year: when are we ever going to wise up to this and provide our goalies with a skipped cap for use in these conditions?

I'm a bit mystified by your remark about lack of suitable clothing and the suggestion that somehow our players were suffering. What do you know was missing from their outfits? They all had long-sleeved shirts (whereas half of the Dunfermline players were wearing short sleeves!), and the video shows that at least some players had another layer of underclothing. So what else should be provided that other teams provide and we don't?

59 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I'll put this here as it's from another cup tie in this round.

Niang scores two very good goals against Bonnyrigg. The first shows some great improvisation from a corner, the second he starts and finishes a quick break. (About 1.30 in and right at the end of the highlights).

Where did the close ball control and confidence come from? He's come on well at Alloa. 

4 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not sure myself but if and/or when possible we could compromise and play Scottish Cup ties in blue?????

That might confuse referees into giving us decisions they wouldn't otherwise give, for example, penalties, goals where the ball actually hits the netting and waving play-on when we are clearly offside!

On second thoughts, let's give it a try!!

• Like 1