v Queen of the South

exiledjag

With Arbroath at home to Raith tomorrow and ICT beating Kilmarnock in the Fridsy night game a win would almost guarantee second place a single point adrift of ICT.

However I recall a game at Firhill in 1963(?) v QotS where we lost 0-1 which not only  ended our unbeaten run but was a severe dent to out title challenge.

Is history going to repeat tomorrow?

We have a very tough December in terms of fixtures and the QotS match falls, IMO, into the should win category which historically is when we fall down

I am going for a Jags win. A tight score 2-1 or 3-2. Yes I think we may lose a goal in this game.

Any other thoughts?

PMA - Positive Mental Attitude.

Since the Kilmarnock loss the team has been quietly concentrating on being solid and taking opportunities.

Leaving that aside, anyone who watched ICT v Killie will recognise that there are going to be a lot of cagey 0-0 or 1-0 games amongst the top 5 until 1 or 2 separate themselves from the pack of 5, which is unlikely to happen this side of New Year.

So QoS represents a real opportunity for us.  Win the game - which isn't a foregone conclusion - and we will enjoy the bonus of knowing that one or even both of Raith and Arbroath will have dropped points.

In summary, let's focus on the victory, go for it in a professional manner, achieve it and enjoy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Think this will be a tight game, but surface may suit us. I don’t see us conceding a goal but we may struggle to break them down as I think they’ll park bus, heart says 1 or 2 nil,  my head says 0-0. I actually think all 4 games will be a draw today

Not too sure, Norge. Parking the bus is akin to playing for a draw and single points at home will not be enough for Queens. Besides they should take a bit of confidence from our two previous meetings. The Palmerston surface is reportedly the worst of the division's artificial pitches and will only serve as a leveller.  

I feel our games take on a dynamic driven too much by the intentions of the opposition. Earlier in the season that either resulted in it suiting us to a "T" or a near complete failure to react. Fortunately of late we've been able to adapt, grinding out results when necessary. ideally I'd like to see us dictate play more often if only to protect my fingernails. 

53 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not too sure, Norge. Parking the bus is akin to playing for a draw and single points at home will not be enough for Queens. Besides they should take a bit of confidence from our two previous meetings. The Palmerston surface is reportedly the worst of the division's artificial pitches and will only serve as a leveller.  

I feel our games take on a dynamic driven too much by the intentions of the opposition. Earlier in the season that either resulted in it suiting us to a "T" or a near complete failure to react. Fortunately of late we've been able to adapt, grinding out results when necessary. ideally I'd like to see us dictate play more often if only to protect my fingernails. 

I agree with the above and especially the final sentence.   I would also like to see us dictate play  and the way to do this is to dominate the midfield.  The quality of players we have there should enable us to dictate the play but we rarely do so. I am not sure how we can change this. I agree with comments made through the season that we are missing a physical presence in midfield but I also think , and have stated before,  that we need to find a way to play Turner in a more central position. He was outstanding for Airdrie as a central midfielder so would like to see us try him there for a run of games and if it doesn't work out then at least we tried.

The team has often been critised for lacking pace and now that we have some pace It's possible we rely too much on it at the expense of playing through midfield. In a sense there might be a balance issue - marrying play through midfield with pace out wide.

This might be a factor in our not dictating play. Suspect I  may well be clutching at straws here.

Despite QOS being bottom of the league this will be a difficult game. I would think their midweek  victory  against Morton in the challenge cup will give them confidence. A victory for us could have us second in the league but a victory for QOS would move them off the bottom. As with most of our games the first goal will be important. We need to go out with the right attitude, we are on a great run be we cannot go on to the pitch thinking we have won before a ball is kicked. Come on the Jags. :fan:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Despite QOS being bottom of the league this will be a difficult game. I would think their midweek  victory  against Morton in the challenge cup will give them confidence. A victory for us could have us second in the league but a victory for QOS would move them off the bottom. As with most of our games the first goal will be important. We need to go out with the right attitude, we are on a great run be we cannot go on to the pitch thinking we have won before a ball is kicked. Come on the Jags. :fan:

Bang on, AJ. We need to accept that this won't be an easy game by any means- nae 'Billy Big Boots' stuff. Hopefully, we get the first goal and go on to win.

Mon oor Jags.