Raith Rovers

Lambies Lost Doo

Not the least bit confident about tomorrow, Above is probably our strongest starting XI and possibly all could be available to start. Problem being the sum of the parts way exceeds the whole. Two upfront doesn't work with such a misshapen midfield. 4-3-3 is equally dodgy without attacking fullbacks, especially on a wide pitch. Best hope is that more of these long punts from Sneddon & Co somehow find a forward and we score. 

Of course alternatively we could try passing the ball out from the back and utilising the midfield. But that involves playing as a team.

• Like 1

i appreciate that the state of the pitch makes free flowing football difficult but we do seem to be resorting to (ineffective) long balls up field bypassing the midfield more and more recently and not just at home.

with the midfield players we have we should be pass out from the back more as whenever we do we look so much better.  Do you think this is a deliberate tactic from McCall as if it is its not working...

9 minutes ago, jaggymct said:

i appreciate that the state of the pitch makes free flowing football difficult but we do seem to be resorting to (ineffective) long balls up field bypassing the midfield more and more recently and not just at home.

with the midfield players we have we should be pass out from the back more as whenever we do we look so much better.  Do you think this is a deliberate tactic from McCall as if it is its not working...

Appears to be. We were booting it up the park before Smith went off last week so it wasn't to with personnel. Could be almost a chicken and egg situation in so much as McCall doesn't expect/want his fullbacks crossing the halfway line. When playing the ball out from the back you expect the fullbacks to get forward to provide additional options. Whatever, when Sneddon (or a defender) has control of the ball any movement in defence and/or central mid is so lethargic the big punt becomes inevitable.

To my mind the fullbacks now getting forward/overlapping is another consuequence of not having a genuine winger other than Tiffoney. McCall has always said he wanted invered wingers and the main reason for inverted wingers is to give space for overlapping fullbacks.

At the moment we have no-one left footed who can play on the right wing. That leads to us playing Turner,  Murray or Smith who are all right footed and don't really want to run at defenders. Foster can't really get forward but also needs to hang back a little as he knows if the opposition break he is covering the right flank all by himself.

On the left wing Holt and Tiffoney should work but as we don't any threat on the right the opposition can put another player on the left and strangle any space.

Depserately need a left footed winger in January.

• Like 1

Think we took 15 points from the first quarter and going into tomorrows final game of the second quarter we have added just 13 points, if my fingers are working.   A win against a strongly performing Raith Rovers would see us marginally improve on that first quarter tally and give us  a boost after last week's lame performance.  Draw or defeat would confirm we're treading water in 5th position until the transfer window opens when we need to attract some more quality middle to front. 

If we lose again, some of the players are simply not good enough and need cleared out in January if possible. Foster, the 3 mids, Smith and Graham need to pull their fingers out. As do any subs used who have not exactly been knocking the barn door down.

They need to come up to the mark. 

Big games required by all to show that last week was a mere aberration.

19 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

If we lose again, some of the players are simply not good enough and need cleared out in January if possible. Foster, the 3 mids, Smith and Graham need to pull their fingers out. As do any subs used who have not exactly been knocking the barn door down.

They need to come up to the mark. 

Big games required by all to show that last week was a mere aberration.

I am far from convince that it is the individual players that are the problem, especially with midfield to attack. I'm sure a clear out is needed, but possibly not the players.

I was confident heading into last week but we were brought back down to Earth with a bump, we've not done well against Arbroath or or Raith recently so I'm not expecting anything from tomorrow, I expect Zannatta to score and another 2-0 or 2-1.  

My team would be 

Sneddon

Mckenna

Akinola

Mayo

Holt

Hastie

Doch

Banzo

Tiff

Rudden

Graham

No point in having Hastie and not giving him a try from the start, he should give us a bit of width and maybe make them think more about his pace in behind, We've tried Smith and Turner and it's not really worked, I know Hastie hasn't set the heather on fire but he's never had a chance from the start. Come on Jags, give us a bit ox Xmas cheer!

Edited by jags on tour

Can’t believe some of the rubbish being posted on here. We kept 8 clean sheets in a row. One bad result and our whole team is rubbish. The manager has to go, the 2 centre mids need to go. Our top scorer needs to pull his finger out etc.. absolute garbage

If you can’t handle a bad result now and again go and support one of the old firm 

Edited by p12tfc
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, p12tfc said:

Can’t believe some of the rubbish being posted on here. We kept 8 clean sheets in a row. One bad result and our whole team is rubbish. The manager has to go, the 2 centre mids need to go. Our top scorer needs to pull his finger out etc.. absolute garbage

If you can’t handle a bad result now and again go and support one of the old firm 

It's not the results that are the concern 

Dunfermline 0-0

Hamilton 1-0

Inverness 0-0

Arbroath 0-2

We were terrible in all these games and we lost only one. And these were just the ones I went to.

Morton and QOS away  sounded little better. Ayr made us look good but they are woefully weak.

Just saying.  I have followed Thistle 50 years and always will but sometimes you just have can't be arsed. Me. Now.

16 minutes ago, p12tfc said:

As someone who has only missed one game I C T, away ,this season you are for getting in our run of 8 clean sheets we had 4 horrendous  0.0. draws. they were not very easy on the eye to watch. Since the great night at Hamilton we have only scored more than 1 goal in a game V Ayr away...In the cold light of day we have not been that great..................

• Like 1

It must be because I am a very simple person but I always go with when we win it is because we deserved to and when we lose it because we deserve to - no caveats about performances, etc because over a season there will be periods when the team plays really well and other times when it struggles, that is why we play over a season and have a league table. I suppose these old fashioned ideas are not in keeping with the modern social media driven world where the people who post have never lost a game.

Edited by Fawlty Towers

Whoever plays, we'd better get a win and get back into the top 4, pronto.

Why? Because there's every chance that the season will get cut short within the next couple of weeks, with teams ending up where they currently are.

And even if that does happen, play-offs might well get cancelled, and only the automatic relegation and promotion places will stand.

Another reason why last week's debacle might haunt us.

3 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Would take a point now and hope Zanatta has an off day …can only hope it’s something about the Firhill air that turns him into a walloper.

I remember his first game for us. Although we lost 3-2 at home to Ayr he had a really good debut and looked like a good signing. Rapidly downhill after that for us and also did next to nothing when he went to Ayr. Once again Raith Rovers get the best out of a player that Thistle and some other teams couldn't.