Thistle v Ayr Match Thread

elevenone

Dreadful refereeing again. We should have had 2 clear penalties I thought and where did he get all that injury time from.  But given we have not had a penalty since December 2020 no surprises we don’t get any tonight.

the new lad from Dundee looked good.  I had been a little underwhelmed when we got him in looking at injuries and scoring redcoat Dens but he was far quicker than I expected and held ball up really well.

As entertainment, that was truly dire. Heidy tennis in the middle of a tattie field, combined with sideways passing and inaccurate punts from start to finish.

Best for Jags in my book were Smith and Sneddon. Re Sneddon, he takes crosses comfortably, gets out to the edge of the box to deal with through balls that have beaten the central defenders, and regularly pulls off big saves. Glad he'll be with us for a while yet; I think we'll lose him eventually.

Referee shocking again. These charlatans can so easily ruin a game.

Thought the goal was an oustanding move starting from our own half and sweeping through the Ayr midfield and defence.

Also thought some of the interplay between Crawford, Docherty and Smith was really nice throughout the game. Crawford looks a very decent player and it'll be a struggle for Turner to get back in.

As others have said should have had at least 1 penalty. Pitch is horrific and its going to make it more difficult to play the passing game that we want to play.

Ayr are looking harder to beat and they will take points from other top 5 teams.

All in all a decent 3 points without really hitting top gear.

• Like 1

First half was very poor but I thought we improved in the second.

The pitch made it very difficult to play any football and sadly it’s only going to get worse before it gets better.

The ref was dreadful, Tiffoney must wonder what he has to do to get a penalty.

Hopefully we can get McAllister fit and playing on the right wing. Crawford was fine but he drifts inside due to being a centre mid and McKenna doesn’t have the confidence to play as an overlapping full back. I like McKenna defensively, he’s solid and sticks to his task well but he’d definitely benefit from having a winger ahead of him. It would also give us another option rather than always going via Tiffoney. 

Graham took his goal well but was far too isolated in the first half. 

I’d like to think Thistle could hold on to Mayo but I think he’ll be playing at a higher level soon, a great prospect. 

Jakubiak looked lively and I think he’ll be a good addition.

I thought McIver was decent enough as well at seeing the game out.

All in a hard fought and deserved 3 points. 

10 minutes ago, Anniesland Jag said:

Sneddon just seems to get better and better with each game ,for me he is the bedrock of our team and recent run of success . 

Agree, it has taken him a few years but he is now our established number 1. His time management skill right out of the Tam Cerny book.:thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, King Kenny said:

First half was very poor but I thought we improved in the second.

The pitch made it very difficult to play any football and sadly it’s only going to get worse before it gets better.

The ref was dreadful, Tiffoney must wonder what he has to do to get a penalty.

Hopefully we can get McAllister fit and playing on the right wing. Crawford was fine but he drifts inside due to being a centre mid and McKenna doesn’t have the confidence to play as an overlapping full back. I like McKenna defensively, he’s solid and sticks to his task well but he’d definitely benefit from having a winger ahead of him. It would also give us another option rather than always going via Tiffoney. 

Graham took his goal well but was far too isolated in the first half. 

I’d like to think Thistle could hold on to Mayo but I think he’ll be playing at a higher level soon, a great prospect. 

Jakubiak looked lively and I think he’ll be a good addition.

I thought McIver was decent enough as well at seeing the game out.

All in a hard fought and deserved 3 points. 

A good summary. I also thought hendrie played well when he came on. 

Grinding out a hard-fought win...we might have to do that a few times for the rest of the season on a dreadful pitch which is likely to get worse. Ayr were much improved from the awful outfit from earlier in the season...I suspect Morton, Dunfermline and Hamilton will be stronger too.

We defended pretty well...Akinola & Mayo are very steady...I have been neutral about Sneddon but he was alert and confident tonight - that's an impressive number of shut-outs. I hope McAllister can add balance and an attacking threat on the right hand side...Turner, Crawford and Smith are decent players but square pegs when playing wide.

I know I am biased but there seemed to be a fair number of 50/50 decisions which went in favour of Ayr...and there were also  4 or 5 calls on throw-ins and corners which I was close enough to see were simply wrong...and Tiffony definitely looked to have been barged over inside the box and then clearly pulled back just outside and possibly fouled inside the box...our wait to find out who our penalty taker is apparently dates back to December 2020.

And to reference a woeful pop song from years ago, on first impression I'd rather Jak than Zak. 

I thought we were poor tonight, but were still better than Ayr and I felt as though we should have won comfortably. Graham & Smith should have done better with the 2 quick first half chances, but you have to give Big Brian credit for his finish to win the game.

Jamie Sneddon just seems to get better by the game. His handling was brilliant tonight, and as mentioned by others so was his timewasting :D I really didn't fancy him as our number 1, but he's certainly won me over this season.

As for the ref, really shocking. I'm just glad he never cost us in the end as I was sure we would get a red card and a penalty against us. He gave Brian Graham nothing the whole game and I'm convinced we should have 2 penalties. It's unreal that in the last 3 home games we seem to have all the big decisions going against us. The standard of referees is appalling just now.

Really liking the fight in this squad. Been a long time since I can mind us seeing out so many games relatively comfortably. Real character building stuff. Ref helped us tonight re that aspect. If he'd been the least bit competent chances are we'd have had a two or more likely a three goal cushion.

I thought the pitch appeared even worse tonight but got the impression it maybe played a bit better than it looked. Perhaps just a bit drier?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, delurker said:

Ref was an absolute disgrace, still hoarse today from shouting at that cheat.

I know  that it's being courteous to shake the ref and other officials hand, or fist bump after a game, but where they miss blatant offences, why not ignore them?  What do you say "Well played ref?"

I expect the club make injustices known in match reports,  but a public display of displeasure wouldn't go amiss.