Thistle v Ayr Match Thread

elevenone

Not sure what McCall said to the referee to get booked but clearly he's not saying it if the penalty is awarded after Tiffoney is bundled over. Does the club have a case to appeal McCall's yellow card as the video footage shows the referee failed to aware a clear penalty?

No. Abuse of officials is a more serious crime than allowing a totally incompetent referee to believe he is merely adequate and almost ruin a game because of his decisions. IIRC he got a throw-in wrong inside the first minute. Started badly and fell away. Referee supervisor should have a quiet word with him.

30 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

No. Abuse of officials is a more serious crime than allowing a totally incompetent referee to believe he is merely adequate and almost ruin a game because of his decisions. IIRC he got a throw-in wrong inside the first minute. Started badly and fell away. Referee supervisor should have a quiet word with him.

Guy should never ref again, absolutely incompetent and negligent.

And on how the club should react, I think McCall should be ranting about it in the media and the club sending in letters of complaint to whoever is the appropriate authority.

10 minutes ago, delurker said:

Guy should never ref again, absolutely incompetent and negligent.

And on how the club should react, I think McCall should be ranting about it in the media and the club sending in letters of complaint to whoever is the appropriate authority.

Crawford Allan.

He's the guy that failed to give Lee Robinson a 2nd yellow in the Challenge Cup final.

32 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Crawford Allan.

He's the guy that failed to give Lee Robinson a 2nd yellow in the Challenge Cup final.

So not even a rookie but an established ref.  Beggars belief his performance.  I was three sheets to the wind after day in the Woody and in John Lambie stand and could still see how much of a stonewall pen that was.  One presumes he was sober and much closer to the incident?  

ps nice to have chat @Auld Jag and make sure that lucky balaclava is out for Sat.

9 minutes ago, elevenone said:

So not even a rookie but an established ref.  Beggars belief his performance.  I was three sheets to the wind after day in the Woody and in John Lambie stand and could still see how much of a stonewall pen that was.  One presumes he was sober and much closer to the incident?  

ps nice to have chat @Auld Jag and make sure that lucky balaclava is out for Sat.

Maybe misread me, elevenone. Crawford Allan is the Referee Overseer.

Mr Magoo last night was played by Greg Aitken, who's hardly a rookie, so still beggars belief.

9 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Maybe misread me, elevenone. Crawford Allan is the Referee Overseer.

Mr Magoo last night was played by Greg Aitken, who's hardly a rookie, so still beggars belief.

Ah thought he must be a good age lol.  Greg Aitken’s name does ring a bell and that is usually not a good thing when it comes to refs.

18 minutes ago, belfastjag said:

This level looks poorer this season and I'm still not sure we're good enough to get out of it. At least it didn't feel as cold last night. I know it's not popular on here, but at what point do we look at plastic.  I grow potatoes on better ground.

We just get Queens Park out and get back to that green lushness we had most of last season. To be fair to the board, being disadvantaged to the tune of 350k thanks to our "relegation", we had to get some cash in somehow. IMC and I assume the players, hate playing on that surface and as others have pointed out it may cost us a few more postponed games and playing 2-3 games a week later in the season. 

3 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

We just get Queens Park out and get back to that green lushness we had most of last season. To be fair to the board, being disadvantaged to the tune of 350k thanks to our "relegation", we had to get some cash in somehow. IMC and I assume the players, hate playing on that surface and as others have pointed out it may cost us a few more postponed games and playing 2-3 games a week later in the season. 

Is it just this season QP are sharing with us?

1 hour ago, belfastjag said:

This level looks poorer this season and I'm still not sure we're good enough to get out of it. At least it didn't feel as cold last night. I know it's not popular on here, but at what point do we look at plastic.  I grow potatoes on better ground.

If we were ever to look at a permanent groundsharing arrangement I think we would need to consider going plastic. It also gives the opportunity to get all the Thistle teams and Academy training at Firhill and rent it out to others. On the other hand did the club not take on a facility in Glasgow from the council as a training base?

Personally I prefer football on grass and fully expect the pitch to be back to last season's standard once Queens Park flit back to Hampden

After the Kilmarnock game I thought at the standard of refereeing couldn't get any worse. Then along came the clown that refereed the Airdrie match with the worst performance I'd ever seen. At least I thought that has to be the absolute zenith of shite refereeing. And then came along the joker from last night. I honestly in a state of shock at how bad he was. He was giving terrible decisions for Ayr as well. The penalty decision just beggered belief but Graham being dragged to the ground and getting a foul and a yellow against him actually managed to top it. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, fifexile said:

Just to cheer everyone up Saturday's referee is Nick Walsh last seen a couple of weeks ago at Firhill giving Killie that penalty. Almost makes me wish for the return of Willie Colum....but only almost....

Willie Colum….shivers!

Chuckling as I read all this.

I had to show the other half some of the comments because she thought Thistle had lost last night due to my shouting.

She asked me if all refs were cheating b's or just the ones Thistle get.

She then asked if the ref was Willie Colum because that's the one she remembers me calling a cheating B the most.

On the Ayr website highlights - Reading (Ayr No 3) gets booked at about 2m30s in. If it was a booking it should have been a sending off - tackle with both feet off the ground, not in control and at pace and the ref was close to it. Also the one where Jakubiak takes it into the box, past the defender and the ball is on the line the ref gives a goal kick (eventually) but from where he was there is no way he could say the whole of the ball had crossed the line. Thought he was unfit, behind the play most of the night.

Edited by Jaggydave

9 minutes ago, BILL.H said:

Highlights available on Ayr website.   3 penalty claims ?

3 stone wallers.

Smith first half clean through on goal and gets his shirt tugged. I think the referee didn't give it because Smith got his shot away which shouldn't matter but did to him.

Tiffoney second half clean through on goal gets bundled over by an Ayr player trying to chase back. Can't think of any mitigation on that one

Finally Tiffoney skips plast an Ayr player then gets his shirt pulled. Only mitigation I can give is that Tiffoney stayed on his feet although even that is strecthing it as Tiffoney pulled up from his run.

In all 3 the ref is looking straight at them from less than a few yards away. Not like his view was blocked or didn't see them he just chose to believe they were not fouls.

3 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Unfair to compare with last season. We had 5 home games Oct - Dec then the next home game was late March, so the pitch was barely used in the autumn & winter