Firhill basin development

Norgethistle

Shameless plug  for an extract from my "Partickle" in The Thistle Archive - "The Life and Times of Firhill Park"

"For many years there was an average of 8 drownings per year in the canal around the Firhill Basin with several reports of awards for bravery for people diving in to pull others out. In                    1938, by August that year, seven children had drowned “log-jumping” in the canal timber basin. Glasgow Corporation set out a proposal to buy the basin, fill it in or convert it into a                          model boating pond".

Wouldn't hold your breath!

7 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Just heard from a client in Glasgow that there is plans being discussed for a development of the basin behind the ground and across the canal which should positively impact the club? 

Has anyone heard anything about this 

I would thing any development of the basin would be part of the Hamiltonhill Claypits.

https://claypitslnr.co.uk/

4 hours ago, One t in Scotland said:

As long as I've been a fan ( > 40 years ) there's been talk of this. I suppose with all the associated development in the area it's not unreasonable to think it could finally be happening.

The Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route (AWPR) was first discussed in 1948 (earliest record I can find). It was only completed and opened  a few years ago!  40 years+ seems to be the timescale for these large scale projects

I have not heard anything about this but, like many on here, I long for the day we can get the South End sorted out.

Looking at this for someone who started going to games in 1990 makes me realise how much has changed in terms of not just the stadium but the surrounding area. For those going for longer it must be even more striking:

https://thejagsfoundation.co.uk/

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

The Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route (AWPR) was first discussed in 1948 (earliest record I can find). It was only completed and opened  a few years ago!  40 years+ seems to be the timescale for these large scale projects

That was mostly due to the local residents of Milltimber being stuck up snobs with the ' not in my backyard' attitude.

• Haha 1