Hamilton away 8/1/22

Auld Jag

7 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Should have won it. Could have lost it. Sneddon nearly saved the pen but I thought he could have saved the second. May be wrong. Killie game now huge.....

Yes. Agreed that Sneddon made a great attempt to save the penalty, so no complaints there. The second one was strange. At the time I thought Sneddon was making a brilliant save, pushing the ball up and over the bar. However,  the ball did indeed go up, but only into the roof of the net. Did the player behind on the line contact either Sneddon and/or the ball, thus contributing to the confusing scenario?

5 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I saw that interview two or three times but didn't read anything like that into it. Don't want to post Tommy Taylor's picture from today on Facebook without permission but it certainly shows two lads that don't appear to have any "unresolved conflict".

Not seen the photo from today, but my view of the previous Hamilton post-match interview was two pals having a bit of barbed but cheery banter. No sign of any unresolved conflict.

2 hours ago, Fearchar said:

Those two need to patch up their differences. Taking a shot instead of squaring for Rudden was dreadful, and cost us 2 points.

There isn’t an unresolved conflict between the two. There is an abundance of bad decision making which is to be expected with young players. 

I do like that they have the confidence to go for goal themselves but learning to get the head up and have a bit more vision and understanding to pick the right option will improve them as players.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McD said:

Why oh why does Mc Call take off our 2 best strikers with 15 minutes to go is beyond me..The guys on the Hamilton commentary thought that they had died and gone to heaven with that decision..I do believe that with them on the park we would have go a result today..

I often question McCall's substitutions, but even if I'd been there today I'd have been giving him the benefit of the doubt. We've no idea the state of fitness and health of any of the squad but we do know a number have been ill and/or had injuries. Allied to that you can't tell from watching a live stream the amount of running off the ball that players do, especially strikers. Having seen Graham and Rudden often enough it's fair to assume they'd have covered a fair amount off the ball. So if neither was 100% fit McCall may have little option.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stillresigned said:

If you’d offered me that score line before the match kicked-off I’d probably have taken it. Considering our lack of game time recently I’m even more resigned to being happy with the result

What relevance has my comment made on an entirely different topic 2 days ago have with today's game?

I think we have to put today's result into perspective. Hamilton was always going to be a difficult game for a number of reasons. 

The fact they are on a good run, the result on our previous visit and that they were looking at 3 successive defeats from us had they lost. In addition there was also the fact they have been playing games (and winning) and we haven't been playing.

The odds were against us winning and the fact that we played well and should probably have won is a big positive.

Looking at the result in the context of other fixtures Arbroath lost, ICT and Raith drew and Killie won so all in not a bad days work.

As far as Tiffoney not passing to Rudden I think it was simply a bad decision from a player who got a bit greedy or was looking for a bit of personal glory! No doubt the manager will speak to him about the poor decision making.

If we can win next Friday night v Killie that would be a good result and make today's result look even better.

16 hours ago, Fearchar said:

There's clearly an unresolved conflict there, dating at least from when they both spoke on camera. (McCall, who is media savvy, diverted attention from it to himself.)

McCall media savvy. That Hamilton interview was embarrassing and would probably be classified as bullying is either player had complained .

As for yesterday, happy with a point, but should have won it. Like others I don’t understand taking off both Rudden and Graham when we don’t have a midweek game

• Like 1

Think I must be getting grumpy in my old age but very disappointed at that performance. Scored two decent goals but that apart we were awful. It's been a long time since I've seen us fail to make so many basic passes and look so disjointed. I know Graham and Rudden combined well for the 2nd goal but the rest of the game it looked like neither of them could trap a medicine ball. 

Still a bit confused about their 2nd equaliser. Looked like Sneddon was in the process of a routine save when one of our players (Graham I think) booted it into the top of the net. The worst aspect was the complete lack of urgency in getting out to close them down. As for their 1st, absolutely shocking from Mayo. What in the name of Christ was he thinking. 

As you can probably work out, I'm most definitely not in the happy with a point camp. Thought Docherty had an excellent game. About the only positive for me. 

23 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Think I must be getting grumpy in my old age but very disappointed at that performance. Scored two decent goals but that apart we were awful. It's been a long time since I've seen us fail to make so many basic passes and look so disjointed. I know Graham and Rudden combined well for the 2nd goal but the rest of the game it looked like neither of them could trap a medicine ball. 

Still a bit confused about their 2nd equaliser. Looked like Sneddon was in the process of a routine save when one of our players (Graham I think) booted it into the top of the net. The worst aspect was the complete lack of urgency in getting out to close them down. As for their 1st, absolutely shocking from Mayo. What in the name of Christ was he thinking. 

As you can probably work out, I'm most definitely not in the happy with a point camp. Thought Docherty had an excellent game. About the only positive for me. 

I agree that Graham and Rudden were poor, bar the goal. So not a surprise they were subbed. Whether their withdrawal was covid related or performance who knows. Do think we have to give the team some latitude. It was an awful challenge by Mayo but he has been excellent for us. But yeah, we should still have won it. 

18 hours ago, ChiThistle said:

Team has to find that really disheartening.  Plenty of chances to win —and it wouldn’t have mattered as much if Mayo didn’t give away a penalty.

Nice attack on the Accies goal at the end.  I can see why Graham had been subbed off by then but can’t help wondering if he would have got the winner for us there.

I don’t think a draw was a fair result - should have taken all 3.

I make that at least three penalties that Mayo has given away.... those points add up.

14 hours ago, Mr Bunny said:

A man sees what he wants yo see and disregards ..

EDIT:  Ooops, meant to quote a post.  That makes no sense on its own.

Another example of plagiarism!

I look forward to the future when better education will make plagiarism a thing of the past.

Yeah, you may say I'm a dreamer.

But I'm not the only one.

34 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

I agree that Graham and Rudden were poor, bar the goal. So not a surprise they were subbed. Whether their withdrawal was covid related or performance who knows. Do think we have to give the team some latitude. It was an awful challenge by Mayo but he has been excellent for us. But yeah, we should still have won it. 

You're right, in general Mayo has been very good. But yesterday's tackle was suicidal. The moment he made it there was only one possible outcome. He needs that recklessness coached out of him. 

15 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

You're right, in general Mayo has been very good. But yesterday's tackle was suicidal. The moment he made it there was only one possible outcome. He needs that recklessness coached out of him. 

Give him some slack. He is a Rangers player, no matter what they do, they DON'T get penalties awarded against them!

• Like 1

I thought the midfield was a lot better yesterday. The passing seemed to be sharper and have more purpose with Crawford instead of Bannigan. Also gave Turner a lot more space to operate. Once Crawford tired we lost a bit of possesion and shape.

However I suspect we will struggle to play that way on the firhill surface.

Still need a better attacking option from the bench. When MacIver and Murray came on we still had chances but never looked like converting anything.

What little I could pick up from the stream I was watching we looked very good in the advanced midfield positions. Despite having on paper a really strong selection of attacking mids that's still  been one of our weakest areas. The fact we still played two up top makes that improvement more pleasing. No way am I suggesting Bannigan's absence was pertinent. Just we played more balls thru midfield and less of the big punts. 

19 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Yes. Agreed that Sneddon made a great attempt to save the penalty, so no complaints there. The second one was strange. At the time I thought Sneddon was making a brilliant save, pushing the ball up and over the bar. However,  the ball did indeed go up, but only into the roof of the net. Did the player behind on the line contact either Sneddon and/or the ball, thus contributing to the confusing scenario?

Looked like a decent striker's goal..... by Brian Graham.