It was great while it lasted

partickthedog

On the Transfer Window thread, we discussed the first competitive game of the season at Stenhousemuir around 3/4 years ago. In the opening 10 minutes, Thistle played two neat moves both topped off by excellent finishes from a Lampardesque debutant Shea Gordon. For a moment it seemed that we had a team and a player who could ignite our season into something spectacular. 

You will know or guess the story. The next 80 minutes were among the most turgid in living memory as the fizz went out of the champagne and we laboured to a pedestrian win. The season rapidly imploded into a grim struggle for survival. However, as one poster said "It was great while it lasted".

Any other examples spring to mind of joyous celebration and/or excited anticipation quickly or slowly extinguished? I will give you 3 random ones for starters:

1) Chris Turner's debut goal in a cup tie away at Livingston during Ian McCall's first session as manager. He was a Northern Irish under 21 player who scored with a beautiful cultured finish. Looked like a player. Missed a sitter, which would have enabled us to win a cup tie eventually lost 2-1 to Rangers at Firhill, and then vanished from the scene.

2) Dario Zanatta's debut. Enough said.

3) That moment at Parkhead when we were 3-2 down in a cup tie going into the dying seconds. Chris Erskine won the ball brilliantly on the wing and swung the ball into the middle where it fell at the feet of Ryan Edwards a few yards out with the goal seemingly at his mercy.  I can still remember that savouring of the moment and the anticipation of celebration before Kieran Tierney snaked out a long leg for an admittedly excellent smother tackle.

Edited by partickthedog

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Going way back probably 71 or72, New Years game at Ibrox. Winning 1-0 through a Dennis goal right up until McCoist scored twice in the last 10 mins.

???

McCoist was a precocious talent, but even he couldn't have made the h*ns first team at 9 or 10 years of age.

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Going way back probably 71 or72, New Years game at Ibrox. Winning 1-0 through a Dennis goal right up until McCoist scored twice in the last 10 mins.

Think you mean John Greig. Both of his goals were in injury time. I actually managed to get home thinking we'd won. Horrible experience. 

Jan 2004 and one of The Bunnet's first signings. This fella he signed from Raith was their captain no less. We played Rovers later that week but part of the deal was an agreement not to play him against his former club that weekend. Raith running scared, perhaps? Team captain, maybe a born leader? We had to wait just over two weeks for our next game and the much anticipated debut. Step up to the plate, Darren Brady.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Jan 2004 and one of The Bunnet's first signings. This fella he signed from Raith was their captain no less. We played Rovers later that week but part of the deal was an agreement not to play him against his former club that weekend. Raith running scared, perhaps? Team captain, maybe a born leader? We had to wait just over two weeks for our next game and the much anticipated debut. Step up to the plate, Darren Brady.

He did score a fine lob in a midweek cup tie at Dundee. Indeed starting that season with 2 successive away wins at Dens Park with Scott Boyd, Ian Maxwell and the aforementioned Darren Brady all scoring and playing blinders was another "it was great while it lasted" moment.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Darren f***ing Brady 

The last night under the shed. Up against Blue Scum. Drawing 1-1 thanks to Isaac English. She'd was bouncing. Atmosphere was stratospheric. Holding on with minutes to go and up pops McCoist to bag the winner. Utterly devastated and totally deflated. Looked over at my brother who had his head in his hands. Still at least I went home with a bit of terracing!

29 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

The last night under the shed. Up against Blue Scum. Drawing 1-1 thanks to Isaac English. She'd was bouncing. Atmosphere was stratospheric. Holding on with minutes to go and up pops McCoist to bag the winner. Utterly devastated and totally deflated. Looked over at my brother who had his head in his hands. Still at least I went home with a bit of terracing!

Dreadful behaviour to resurrect that horrific memory GRE.

Really did you have to? 

Joking apart, that was a night that summed Thistle up.

McCoist is a **** though - that was his first ever goal against Thistle at any level.

11 hours ago, Muscat Jag said:

Think you mean John Greig. Both of his goals were in injury time. I actually managed to get home thinking we'd won. Horrible experience. 

It was the same for me and I just lived in Bellahouston.

12 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

???

McCoist was a precocious talent, but even he couldn't have made the h*ns first team at 9 or 10 years of age.

It was a long time ago.