Supporters bus to Arbroath

crazy davie

Went on the Whiteinch bus to Arbroath in the 1970-71 season. Anybody else? 

Went into a grocer shop after the game for crisps or a Mars bar or something. There was still a poster for the game on a placard outside the shop. Asked the owner of the shop  if  I could have the poster. ('Coz I thought that we'd probably never visit there again.... How wrong can you get?!)  

"No problem."

More than 50 years later, still got that poster!

Oh, and 2-0 Thistle. Denis, and Ronnie G (pen.)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Amber warning for wind in Arbroath tomorrow , dropping to a yellow warning at 3pm. Could be interesting 

Arbroath normal is high wind, so this is going to be high wind on top of high wind. Not looking good for us, as Arbroath will be in their element in every way.

Remember that horrendous game when Scott Fox kept kicking the ball straight in front of him, from where it invariably took a big banana bend to his right and clattered into the side stand. Never once did he think of varying the tactic or even consider the simple expedient of kicking the ball to his left so that the wind would bring it round to somewhere near the playing surface.

2 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Arbroath normal is high wind, so this is going to be high wind on top of high wind. Not looking good for us, as Arbroath will be in their element in every way.

Remember that horrendous game when Scott Fox kept kicking the ball straight in front of him, from where it invariably took a big banana bend to his right and clattered into the side stand. Never once did he think of varying the tactic or even consider the simple expedient of kicking the ball to his left so that the wind would bring it round to somewhere near the playing surface.

I was at that game and we were awful. It did confirm one thing for me about Fox - he doesn't play golf! As a keeper he wasn't very good in his second stint with us. Anyway where is Fox now?

Good result for us tonight - Raith drop 2 points and we have  played 3 games less than them.

10 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I was at that game and we were awful. It did confirm one thing for me about Fox - he doesn't play golf! As a keeper he wasn't very good in his second stint with us. Anyway where is Fox now?

Good result for us tonight - Raith drop 2 points and we have  played 3 games less than them.

Fox is a bench warmer at Motherwell.

5 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

How does the ref do a wind inspection? Does he carry an anemometer (had to check the spelling!) or does he get Scott Fox to do a straight kick out and measure the angle of deviation?

The Fox Deviation. Sounds like a Len Deighton film with Harry Palmer. 

btw all this talk of wind, I wonder how old you have to be to have played blow football?

• Like 2