Games in Hand

exiledjag

With the postponement of yesterdays Arbroath game we have now lost 4 games,:

Ayr (h), Morton(h), Inverness(a) & of course Arbroath(a). Have I missed any other cancellations?

I think  the first 3 fixtures  are all winnable. Inverness seem to be a bit up and down at the moment and generally we have a reasonable record there. To balance this Morton seem to be in the middle of the new  manager bounce phenomenon  so could prove to be a more difficult fixture than if played on the original date. Arbroath is the fixture I think we are least likely to win given our recent poor record against them and the fact they are still picking up points.

Looking at the current table if we can play our scheduled games and stay around 5th and in touch with the top 4 then 7 points  will from thes 4 games could see us move up to 3rd while  9 points should bring second within range.  However, (dare I dream) 12 points and the sky's the limit!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, exiledjag said:

With the postponement of yesterdays Arbroath game we have now lost 4 games,:

Ayr (h), Morton(h), Inverness(a) & of course Arbroath(a). Have I missed any other cancellations?

I think  the first 3 fixtures  are all winnable. Inverness seem to be a bit up and down at the moment and generally we have a reasonable record there. To balance this Morton seem to be in the middle of the new  manager bounce phenomenon  so could prove to be a more difficult fixture than if played on the original date. Arbroath is the fixture I think we are least likely to win given our recent poor record against them and the fact they are still picking up points.

Looking at the current table if we can play our scheduled games and stay around 5th and in touch with the top 4 then 7 points  will from thes 4 games could see us move up to 3rd while  9 points should bring second within range.  However, (dare I dream) 12 points and the sky's the limit!

I don’t think we’re quite strong enough up front to win the league.

A lot depends on keeping Tiff fit and signing someone to adequately replace Rudden and possibly this new player who is going to unlock defences,

Defence and midfield looks strong though.

2 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

I don’t think we’re quite strong enough up front to win the league.

A lot depends on keeping Tiff fit and signing someone to adequately replace Rudden and possibly this new player who is going to unlock defences,

Defence and midfield looks strong though.

Aye, far too much depends on Tiffoney. In my mind bringing in a natural wide player to operate down the opposite flank is crucial. Even if Rudden leaves I'd still put filling that wide position ahead of a replacement striker. We'll likely need to add to both areas to have a really decent chance of promotion but might just get there taking the pressure off Tiff.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Even 7 points would be optimistic. We have so far averaged 1.65 points per game which would be 6.6 points over 4 games.

You’re some man. How long have you been following Thistle?  It wouldn’t surprise me if they won all 4 games or if they lost 4. Beat Arbroath & ICT and lost to Morton & Ayr.

You seem certain that Thistle will be predictable.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

You’re some man. How long have you been following Thistle?  It wouldn’t surprise me if they won all 4 games or if they lost 4. Beat Arbroath & ICT and lost to Morton & Ayr.

You seem certain that Thistle will be predictable.

That has been remarkably consistent this season 1.66 per game over 1st 9. 1.77 over 2nd 9 and 2 points from 2 games since.

(I’m in a hospital bed and have time to waste on useless stats. Did you know that 87.3% of stats are a load of bollocks)

Edited by Dick Dastardly
  • Like 1

Our games against Ayr and Morton now look more difficult as both seem to be getting some form of new manager bounce. But if we are serious about putting pressure on teams above us we really need to win them. Our 2 away games are more difficult and if we manage to win our 2 home games 2 points from these 2 games would not be the worst results. With our current weather and Queens Park at Firhill yesterday, the pitch could be dodgy on Tuesday night. All the best @Dick Dastardly hope you are back home soon.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

DD, we may not always see eye to eye on things Thistle.  I do though wish you all the best, and hope you're well soon. I believe  I speak for many, if not all, on this forum 

Thanks. Nothing serious, should have been out today, but consultant wasn’t available. Nothing that will stop me talking bollocks you’ll be glad to hear

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

That has been remarkably consistent this season 1.66 per game over 1st 9. 1.77 over 2nd 9 and 2 points from 2 games since.

(I’m in a hospital bed and have time to waste on useless stats. Did you know that 87.3% of stats are a load of bollocks)

But the other 12.7% are extremely interesting.

Hope you are back to good health and on the bench soon.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Sorry to hear that. Hope you are out soon.

Firhill is on schedule to host 47 matches this season. That would increase to around 50 should we beat DUFC and get a home draw in the next round and if both Thistle and QP make the play-offs.  The state of the pitch may yet prove to be a real problem.  30 have been played so far.

Assuming no further postponements, a SC exit to DUFC and ignoring potential pay-offs, there are 17 home and away matches to play in 88 days. [The fixtured season is set to end 29 April.] At the moment that means a game more or less every 5 days. Probably manageable but our squad is one of the smaller ones is it not?

Takes no account of the quality of players leaving/arriving.

On paper, you would have given us less chance of winning league last year than this at this stage. 

that we did win the league last season was down to not only the collapse of Falkirk, but also is securing a lot of points and momentum in a congested period of fixtures.