Jags v Queen of the South

exiledjag

A must win game for us  Saturday.

With the exception of Arbroath v Killie (Friday night) the fixtures on Saturday have a top half  verses the bottom half of the league look.

If Arbroath v Killie is a draw and ICT, Raith and the Jags win the table will look like:

Arbroath 42 pts  (23 games)

Killie  41 pts (23 games)

ICT 41pts (24 games)

Raith 40pts (25 games)

Jags 39 pts (22 games)

Our catch up games are Morton (H) and ICT and Arbroath (both A); so perhaps not as good as the above looks. However our record at ICT isn't too bad and surely we are overdue a result against Arbroath!

Given Queens result v Raith I think we are looking at a very hard game on Saturday. If the team with a good attitude turns up then I would hope that would be good enough to give us a win.

Don't see McCall making too changes to Tuesday's line up.

In defence the only questions are if Holt and Foster are fit.  The 3 in midfield are unlikely to change. Arguably if anyone of those was to drop out then Bannigan is the one who performed poorest on Tuesday but I think thats harsh and the 3 are really starting to develop an understanding.

Up front I would be tempted to start McAllister instead of Smith to allow us to strecth QoS across the width of the park. However if Smith was to drop out I think McCall might be more tempted to go with Jukubiak.

I'm assuming the fact that McAllister didn't make the bench on Tuesday night means it'll be likely he'll not be in the starting XI on Saturday. So we'll be faced with the usual choice of playing with width but imbalance or playing a more balanced set up like a 4-3-3. We tend to go for the former at Firhill and given the big pitch probably the better option. I realise our goal against Ayr came from thru the middle but I believe we're at our best at Firhill when Tiffoney plays out wide.

McAllister's job will be to do what Hastie was supposed to do. This time we've got a player who has been getting game time this season. Even taking a pessimistic view he should be at least able to take some pressure off Tiffoney. There'll be away grounds we visit when we'll maybe want to play a bit narrower but we've been crying out for more width at Firhill all season. The home results have been fine but too often we've been praying for that final whistle. 

I expect a similar type game to the one midweek and probably the same starting XI, tho' Jukubiak could come in for Smith with Crawford pushed out on the right (or vice versa). If we play the way we did in the 2nd half on Tuesday for 90 mins we should win with a bit to spare.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

...I believe we're at our best at Firhill when Tiffoney plays out wide....

If Tiffoney came through the centre at his pace, you just know he'd win free kicks and, more importantly, penalties. Even the referee on Tuesday evening couldn't have ignored Tiffoney being brought down in the box if it happened in the centre. As it is, on the wing he plays past one, two players and then is caught by the third - and it doesn't really matter whether it happens fairly or not, as it's not a goal threat on the wing (unless Turner is also on the field, due to his dead-ball skills).

Robbie Crawford reveals Ian McCall connection was behind Partick Thistle switch | Glasgow Times

“There is a real togetherness here and I think he’s done something similar to when I was at Ayr. When he came in there were a few cliques, the dressing room wasn’t together. But he managed to fix that.

“From my first three or four weeks here it’s definitely something similar to what he built at Ayr in terms of togetherness and team spirit. He puts a lot of thought into what boys are like, not just as players but as people, too.

4 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Robbie Crawford reveals Ian McCall connection was behind Partick Thistle switch | Glasgow Times

“There is a real togetherness here and I think he’s done something similar to when I was at Ayr. When he came in there were a few cliques, the dressing room wasn’t together. But he managed to fix that.

“From my first three or four weeks here it’s definitely something similar to what he built at Ayr in terms of togetherness and team spirit. He puts a lot of thought into what boys are like, not just as players but as people, too.

Interesting. You could see and feel this sense of team spirit and togetherness  in the second half of last season when we faced that punishing run in. I think it was very noticeable  during the demolition of Montrose and  Falkirk,  in the general celebration of goals which involved all the players and the connection between players and fans.. 

This team spirit etc has clearly continued into this season and its good that new players like Crawford  feel they are welcomed into the dressing room.

Hopefully this team spirit and togetherness will see us through a similar second half of season this year.

I suspect the need to  protect team spirit and togetherness  might have contributed to IMC's  recommendation to the Board to let Rudden go.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Commentator on sportscene tonight 'a win for Arbroath tonight would put them 12 points ahead of 5th placed Partick Thistle'. I know the media want them to win the league, but do the get more than 3 points for winning a game? :whistling:

It's just the BBC being a bunch of thick *********.

55 minutes ago, Rid Skwerr said:

The twat has now apologised to Ian McCall and corrected himself to say that if Arbroath win it will put them 9 points ahead  of Thistle.

Am I wrong to suggest that it would only. be 8 points of a lead?

Also on BBC live feed:

Dick Campbell's side are 1-0 victors in a tightly contested affair at Dingwall.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, thebiglemon said:

Can't see how the pitch will be playable at 3pm given the state of the pitch on Tuesday and all the rain Thursday and today.

I hope they get a pitch inspection planned for 12.30 at the very latest

Rain peaks at 1100 today and recedes for kick-off,but still drizzly . Ground staff doing all they can to drain pitch..hope to blazes its on as match log jam is worrying.